Lurch on takeoff?

Reaction score
Hello!

I am the proud new owner of a new P2V! I noticed that when I take off, for the first couple feet, it lurches to the side. In fact, if I try to take off under lower power, it just simply falls over. Other than that, once in the air, it flies like a dream. Is that normal behavior? Or is something out of balance?

Jdruding said:
Hello!

I am the proud new owner of a new P2V! I noticed that when I take off, for the first couple feet, it lurches to the side. In fact, if I try to take off under lower power, it just simply falls over. Other than that, once in the air, it flies like a dream. Is that normal behavior? Or is something out of balance?
Does it lurch to the same side as it tips over? Normal takeoff is full throttle because the well balanced quadcopter is rare. Use full-throttle up to 10 or 20 ft then let ir hover a few moments. You may likely even see more satellites then.
Never takeoff before getting the home-lock indication.

dirkclod said:
Welcome to the forum Jdruding :D
Just a thought but is this with your first set of props ? If so then maybe try switching them to opposite sides and see if it lurch's the other way . Maybe props out of balance ! Don't cost nothing to try ;)

I assume you mean opposite diagonal sides because of the threading and self tightening thing :) ?

That can happen if you are taking off from a spot thats not completely level and also if you calibrated your IMU at all while it was sitting a tiny bit off level the phantom things that that is leval and can try to tilt some thinking its trying to keep its self to what ever point is that it thinks is its relative level plane.

BUT the biggest thing is if you are at all timid or shy with the throttle when taking off. Just hit that left stick all the way up with no hesitation when you are ready to take off till shes up and off the ground a few feet. also if you are on a level surface and can tell what way its going to try to lean towards as its taken off you can also correct a bit with the right stick the opposite way to keep it from tipping as its taking off. .

It might help to balance your props. I have three sets of props -- and every prop was a little off balance. This is what I used to balance them:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QFN ... 5VYIURE44H

Some people like to sand the heavy side of the prop with a light grit sandpaper. I chose to put a small piece of scotch tape on the light side to even them out.

Hi all, thanks for all the feedback. I did some testing and, if the camera is facing directly away from me, the drone lurches backwards, towards me. That being said, I think the real problem after reading your comments is not taking off at full power. If I do it that way, it only leans back a couple inches or so, which is hardly noticeable. So, I think that was my real problem, I wasn't taking off at full power. Thanks again!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik