LUME CUBES

Reaction score
I want to put lume cubes on my phantom 3 STANDARD. The problem is the mounts supposively are not compatible with this drone. They do have mounts for the advanced and pro models. Has anyone attempted doing this yet? If so, can you share with me pics and what you did to attach them? Thanks
88e0916c701a7f8574486a217dafcdae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You might find a nylon cable tie at a hardware store and fit it around a leg and use a short 1/4-20 bolt into the Cube. Surprised their P3 Advanced bracket doesn't also fit the P3 Standard so something is different, maybe in the length between the leg uprights where they wedge into.

Something like one of these: Cable Ties and More

I have the LC on a P4 and the first set of mounting brackets broke in half as they were too thinly printed (They are some cheaply printed 3D things!), but LC replaced them with a bit heavier version in the middle by 1mm or so. They wedge in pretty tight and mine snapped in a week of being on the legs. Actually, a nylon cable wrap and bolt might be less weight than the bracket which might give you a bit more flying time too. The things do reduce flight time a few minutes as they weigh around 300 grams with their brackets.

My first question to you. Is the lume cubes worth the money? Also I need something that is going to be easy to remove so I can put the drone back in my case. Do you happen to know what the difference is between the P3S and p3A? [legs]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Depends on what you intend to do with them. If you want them to see where your drone is at night, then they work well for that. Put one facing forward on full on, and the other backwards on strobe mode and you can figure it out.

To light up something for still shots from the drone you have to be close, maybe less than 15 feet unless you raise the ISO a lot and deal with the noise in the blacks. Honestly, LEDs are not that bright against a studio or flash unit in my experience.

You'll have to take them off the bird as they do stick out a bit on each side to put them in a case even with their brackets. They have to be plugged in to a USB type charge for a couple of hours too so I bought one of those ban 2 amp chargers rather than use one US cable and spend 4 hours charging two of them. Run time at full brightness is about 23 minutes or one flight. They are purplish in color too and not daylight and I see they came out with some CTO filters to address that, but the holder is magnetic and heavy too, and could that bother the compass? I don't know.

The cost is your decision, but reality for me is I do not use them that much as I wanted them for aerial stills and they don't cut it for me. It's also a narrow beam with a lot of vignetting with a wide-angle drone lens.

Sorry, I don't know what the difference between the P3 legs are.

When you guys were flying with Lume Cubes, did you notice any compass issues? I received a “compass stuck” notification which prevented motor engagement. I had the drone perform a self test on the IMU. No calibration was required and the compass magically became “unstuck”. I was about 50 feet from my truck in a desert environment. Any thoughts?

I use the High Intensity Cree light System from Firehouse. I use Velcro instead of the 3M tape so that it isn’t permanent and I can take it off so that there would be no problem putting the bird back in the case. I don’t use it to see my drone at night so I mount it on top so that any aircraft flying low ( helicopters, planes coming to land near airport) could see it.

IMG_0270.jpg
IMG_0271.jpg

That is a ingenious idea for more compact anti-collision lights.

The Lume Cubes were more for enhancing night time video and picture lighting.... which it did.

I am pretty novice at video and photo editing but the Lume Cubes really helped out.

V/r
Thump 07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20