Lume Cubes overheating issue

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of these with a mounting kit for my P3P--I'm quite pleased with how bright they are, and how you can program them for many functions including frequency of their strobing.

However, when using them at full intensity as a continuous light (not flashing, strobing etc); one of them would cut out (momentarily) after three minutes--even when cooled in water, or experiencing "wind-chill" from the prop wash from the flying P3P. It would turn itself back on for a couple seconds after turning itself off for about a minute each cycle. The other would also shut off temporarily after about 10 minutes--but that seemed to be it's own self protection for overheating.

I emailed technical support, and they were very helpful (and apologetic); and told me I should get 25 minutes at full intensity continuous before they overheat. They quickly sent me two replacements; which I received yesterday, but both of these also shut off temporarily after about 10 minutes--and they're definitely hot--too hot to touch. (This is testing on a table in an air conditioned room).

Although this is a big improvement from the 3 minutes I got from one of the previous ones; I'm wondering if others who've used these Lume Cubes have gotten more than 10 minutes of continuous use at full intensity, before they start shutting down for about a minute at a time due to overheating?

Expensive LED brick, get your money back and buy something better for a fraction of the price before they go into meltdown.
Demand to see an unedited 25 minute video of one running, theres a challenge :p

Last edited:
Well, it did help to have some prop wash on them during my third test--both stayed lit for the life of the P3P battery. Second test I put them in the pool and one stayed lit for 25 minutes before running out of power. The other went into intermittent mode at 20 minutes.

I am disappointed with how much they do reduce flight time: from 18 minutes to 13 minutes; but they're also pretty heavy, so I'm not surprised.

I did test to see how far they could be seen at night--I drove across a bridge (holding one out the window) while my dad watched from 5 miles away on a hill; and he could see the lume cube just fine, flashing at 1Hz--so at least I know they meet the 3 mile visibility standard.

Reactions: Mark The Droner

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20