Lume Cube too heavy-motors are working too hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we're totally off topic I might as well keep going. lol.

Those strobons I'm really intrigued. I think I'd use the Lume Cubes for night time flying as more of a flash light and use the strobon permanently on my drone. My main question is: Are they brighter than the led lights the drone puts out? and where do you place them on your p3? Any pictures? or video?

Since we're totally off topic I might as well keep going. lol.

Those strobons I'm really intrigued. I think I'd use the Lume Cubes for night time flying as more of a flash light and use the strobon permanently on my drone. My main question is: Are they brighter than the led lights the drone puts out? and where do you place them on your p3? Any pictures? or video?
The strobons are way, way brighter than the leds on the phantom arms. The leds on the phantom are 5050 leds, maybe a quarter watt. The strobons are 3 watts.
I use a red one on the front facing forward and a green one on the back facing back for orientation. I use velcro to hold them on so they can be easily removed for charging and for when I don't use them or when the phantom is in its case.
At night, I can see them for, I'm guessing two miles or so.
I also used lenses on some of them to focus the light down to 20°. The things are insanely bright. You won't be able to stare straight into them. They illuminate a large room.
If you have ever messed with a nice expensive led flashlight, they are that bright.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Huskerfan
hwcm, that's great info! Thanks a lot, exactly what i was looking for!

Where do I get those lenses? and do you happen to have a video on them?

hwcm, that's great info! Thanks a lot, exactly what i was looking for!

Where do I get those lenses? and do you happen to have a video on them?
The flytron website sells the lenses, or you can get them on eBay. I will try to find a link.
YouTube has a lot of videos, just search for strobon or flytron. They have a lot of led products so be sure the video is of the strobon.
They are not cheaply made China stuff. They are very well built, I think in the UK.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

I definitely like the idea of the LumeCubes. I may or may not need them for photography, but like the idea of being able to see where my Phantom is at a great distance. Currently I have a round LED on the front of my bird. It really helps just in being able to tell if she is flying towards me on a return trip or turn around. But, now with the LumeCube, I would put one facing front with a steady light and one on the back flashing so I can tell at a distance which direction I'm flying.

Last edited:
I just got lume cube ,it is bright. But it is also way over priced. Not worth the money.Just a cool lite.

I just got lume cube ,it is bright. But it is also way over priced. Not worth the money.Just a cool lite.
Wow, that's a first, for me. You say you bought one, & express that you just got them, but then say they aren't worth the money. Why did you buy it? When You could have likely used something else, less costly, that may have sufficed for your present needs. Please return your purchase, if you aren't satisfied. ;-)
They should be in the hands of someone who will actually appreciated their quality, and can utilize them for great orientation and also for improved photography, what they were designed for.
Sorry, that you feel unhappy. Hopeful you find something adequate for your needs.

RedHotPoker

Wow, that's a first, for me. You say you bought one, & express that you just got them, but then say they aren't worth the money. Why did you buy it? When You could have likely used something else, less costly, that may have sufficed for your present needs. Please return your purchase, if you aren't satisfied. ;-)
They should be in the hands of someone who will actually appreciated their quality, and can utilize them for great orientation and also for improved photography, what they were designed for.
Sorry, that you feel unhappy. Hopeful you find something adequate for your needs.

RedHotPoker

Im shore they have there purpose , but for me not so much. If your in to phone photographer then great.

Oh, please don't be fooled by their diminutive size, or intended purpose, as they put out plenty enough light even for my Nikon D800 to appreciate them, as mere fill lighting or for extra slave flash as well.
Utilizing the Pro app, brings much more useful effectiveness to them.
I think you need to be schooled in their various uses, while before throwing up your hands and complaining. So please give them a fair trial. Perhaps you had something else in mind, and purchased these with other purposes intended, I'm not sure.
But Lume Cube customer service is fantastic, & I'm sure they would happily return your investment, and rather put them in the hands of a thankful party, who buys them with intended purpose and uses in mind.
I'm sorry they weren't to your liking. See www.streamlight.com ?
Good luck, with what ever you trade these in for...

RedHotPoker

I'm just curious how long this thread can go on. It's a light cube with a few features. That's about it. I doubt my new led flashlight with variable light output and beam focusing with strobe and SOS strobe could get this much attention.

I'm just curious how long this thread can go on. It's a light cube with a few features. That's about it. I doubt my new led flashlight with variable light output and beam focusing with strobe and SOS strobe could get this much attention.

Well if you spent a lot of money on some cubes , and you dont feel so good about it. Well you might go on and on about them so someone else can get suckered in to.;)

Reactions: HWCM
Well if you spent a lot of money on some cubes , and you dont feel so good about it. Well you might go on and on about them so someone else can get suckered in to.;)
I'm sure they are cool and have their place ...somewhere. I wouldn't want the weight of two on my Phantom and they are a little high in price in my opinion. I don't have any so I can't really make an informed statement about their value.

Reactions: HWCM
The way I look at this thing called photography, & it actually means writing with light. So if you have a decent light source, with practice and using technique, you should be able to capture higher quality images. Draw your own conclusion. Go to any professional photographers studio, and look at the collections, numbers of various types and sizes of artificial electric light sources.
Seems to be, nearly equally as important, as lenses and camera bodies.
I wonder how many great pictures were exposed using flashlights?

They aren't too heavy, for my photography, and I'm still getting twenty minutes of flight on a full battery, so no problem for my boss drone.
We often spend more on fancy packages than the actual goods. Here you get the goods, and a fancy metalic case, in a white box....

RedHotPoker

The way I look at this thing called photography, & it actually means writing with light. So if you have a decent light source, with practice and using technique, you should be able to capture higher quality images. Draw your own conclusion. Go to any professional photographers studio, and look at the collections, numbers of various types and sizes of artificial electric light sources.
Seems to be, nearly equally as important, as lenses and camera bodies.
I wonder how many great pictures were exposed using flashlights?

They aren't too heavy, for my photography, and I'm still getting twenty minutes of flight on a full battery, so no problem for my boss drone.
We often spend more on fancy packages than the actual goods. Here you get the goods, and a fancy metalic case, in a white box....

RedHotPoker
You're talking about still photography though. Yeah, the cube makes much more sense if it gets double duty in a studio or ground work and on a drone for search and rescue. But outside of some creative photography with a headlighted drone at night- which I'm not discounting mind you cause I've seen it- I'm not really sure where well lighted drone photography plays a huge role for most people. I video with my drone because the stills from it cannot compare to a dsl camera. My nikon d5200 smokes drone stills so badly it's beyond comical. I've seen some cool drone photos that people post but they're good for internet fodder, nothing more serious compared. And night stills or video- you typically want the available light of a cityscape or other naturally lighted things from the vantage point of the sky. I just don't see where beams of light come into play much for night drone photography. I suppose they can sometimes but really, photography? Most drone fliers are looking for orientation lights or improved visibility. Fine, love the cubes for that, lol. But for drone photography in general- that selling point escapes me. But heck, point me to some awesome drone cube photos or video. I love quality picture no matter what was used!

You're talking about still photography though. Yeah, the cube makes much more sense if it gets double duty in a studio or ground work and on a drone for search and rescue. But outside of some creative photography with a headlighted drone at night- which I'm not discounting mind you cause I've seen it- I'm not really sure where well lighted drone photography plays a huge role for most people. I video with my drone because the stills from it cannot compare to a dsl camera. My nikon d5200 smokes drone stills so badly it's beyond comical. I've seen some cool drone photos that people post but they're good for internet fodder, nothing more serious compared. And night stills or video- you typically want the available light of a cityscape or other naturally lighted things from the vantage point of the sky. I just don't see where beams of light come into play much for night drone photography. I suppose they can sometimes but really, photography? Most drone fliers are looking for orientation lights or improved visibility. Fine, love the cubes for that, lol. But for drone photography in general- that selling point escapes me. But heck, point me to some awesome drone cube photos or video. I love quality picture no matter what was used!

I think there is a world of difference between DSLR camera's and drone cameras. But we are also talking about aerial photography which is a very different category. You can't and shouldn't compare the two. How high can you jump with your d5200 Nikon to get an over the top shot of your house? You are talking apples to oranges here. As far as drone photography goes in the price range we are in, either you embrace it or not, but I would find it hard to compare it to your on the ground photography. And I'm not talking about renting a helicopter to get an aerial view. Sorry, just no comparison.

Yet, You bought a camera platform, not an fpv racer, built for bounty and fortune. We practice slow turns and long drops of the gimbal. Make it creep, like a sleepy green algae covered sloth. Slow is good.

But make it light and airy. We like our videos and photos to pop.
Brilliant colour and effects.

The fact that these also make for fantastic orientation lights is awesome. But only an aside fact.
By the way, Albertan first, Canadian second here, we don't do FAA...
So your aeronautic problems don't concern me friend. Other than in conversation and my positive experiences are shared, in hopes of enlightening you.
In the case of Lume Cubes, seeing is truly believing, and that don't count, on tv and www forums, even linking youtube videos, no justice served.
Action speaks louder than words. So you need to experience these.

RedHoPoker

Reactions: NRJ
For those who are worried about weight, watch this video on how much a dji p3 can carry. Sure, you don't want the motors to labor and drain your battery faster right? Well then if you are not taking pictures, remove the removable LumeCube and go faster and farther. When you are taking pictures, put on the Lumes.

Check out this video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

For me the cube weight wasn't much of a concern. When you fly external batteries such as two 5200's on board, most everything else literally pale in comparison, lol. For me it was a bit too much of a rig for my tastes, that's all. And I don't dislike the option. No argument there from me. But drone photography as a selling point for the cube I think would be lowest on the list to choose this light system, for the average flier.

Btw- THIS is certainly some amazing and creative use of a strobe for light on a drone. It's not a cube, but it certainly makes a drone quite a tool for creativity for night photography.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: GemVR and NRJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers