Lufthansa jet and drone nearly collide near LAX

In the Australian papers and some others it says the plane was at 122ish metres which is like 400ft... not 5000 like some other papers are saying..
It also said the drone was at 150 metres which approx 450ft...
22km is like 10nm so it would of been on final? approach?? So would of been lower than 5000...

In some of the other articles it actually says blah blah at 122metres (5000 foot)
..Well I don't think they calculated metres to ft correctly.... or I made a mistake...
Like this article..
Lufthansa reports near miss with drone over Los Angeles

It says "The close encounter between the wide-body, four-engine Airbus A380 and the drone occurred at about 1:30 p.m. at an altitude of 5,000 feet (152 meters) as the unmanned aircraft passed about 200 feet (61 meters) over the Lufthansa flight 14 miles (22.5 km) east of the airport, the FAA said."

There calculation of foot to metres is not correct....

Last edited:
If ILs into 24L or 24 R he would have been at 7000 ft descending to 4000 feet @ 10nm out from R/W

If ILS into 25L or 25R he would have been at 8000 ft descending to 5000 ft @ 9.2nm out from R/W

Pretty much any other direction wouldn't matter as it is over the Pacific.

Well, if registration doesn't "fix" the problem....wonder what's next?

WASHINGTON — Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) introduced legislation Thursday that would ban more than 150 types of assault drones along with certain high-capacity drone batteries.

Feinstein’s bill is far more detailed than the 1994 Assault Model ban that lapsed in 2004. Her bill would stop the sale, manufacture and importation of 158 specific military capable consumer drones and batteries that hold more than 10 minutes of flight time. It would also ban an additional group of assault drones that have long range communications capabilities (over 100 feet) and have at least one military characteristic, such as a camera on board.

Other new provisions include requiring background checks on all future sales and transfers of assault drones covered under the bill.

"Only the military needs drones with the capacity to fly beyond 100 feet, carry imaging devices and have the capacity to inflict so much terror on the public", says Feinstein.

HAHAHAHA, Assault Drones, right up there with Assault weapons. Must be a new political statement, toss Assault in front of a word to help get it banned. Hell, my jeep is an Assault Vehicle. It's killed lots of grass blades

Reactions: JKDSensei
HAHAHAHA, Assault Drones, right up there with Assault weapons. Must be a new political statement, toss Assault in front of a word to help get it banned. Hell, my jeep is an Assault Vehicle. It's killed lots of grass blades

You driving one of those Assualt Jeeps! OMG!!!!!
After all the bickering that goes on around here, good to see someone who can lighten up a laugh sometimes.
:D

Reactions: lookin4pain
In the Australian papers and some others it says the plane was at 122ish metres which is like 400ft... not 5000 like some other papers are saying..
It also said the drone was at 150 metres which approx 450ft...
22km is like 10nm so it would of been on final? approach?? So would of been lower than 5000...

In some of the other articles it actually says blah blah at 122metres (5000 foot)
..Well I don't think they calculated metres to ft correctly.... or I made a mistake...
Like this article..
Lufthansa reports near miss with drone over Los Angeles

It says "The close encounter between the wide-body, four-engine Airbus A380 and the drone occurred at about 1:30 p.m. at an altitude of 5,000 feet (152 meters) as the unmanned aircraft passed about 200 feet (61 meters) over the Lufthansa flight 14 miles (22.5 km) east of the airport, the FAA said."

There calculation of foot to metres is not correct....

That was a typographical error in the article. They meant 1520 meters not 152 meters. It is just missing a zero at the end.

Reactions: ianwood
Another area of concern for me is that there are indeed non-military drones capable of flying around at 5000 ft. However, these are far more expensive and specialized and the odds are extremely small that so many are in the hands of the ignorant unwashed masses, blindly hooning around the skies. Not only is the expense an issue, but the extremely small numbers of them and the fact that there is no commercial or scientific reason for them to be at 5000 ft 14 miles east of LAX that I can think of.
Sorry, I should have clarified. I was making a general statement regarding drones spotted at high altitudes when I mentioned military drones. I was not referring to this specific incidence near LAX.

As for the rarity of military drones, I think that rarity extends to ANY drone that flies at those altitudes.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I was making a general statement regarding drones spotted at high altitudes when I mentioned military drones. I was not referring to this specific incidence near LAX.

As for the rarity of military drones, I think that rarity extends to ANY drone that flies at those altitudes.
Agreed.

I ended up finding this ATC radio traffic on my own and then realized that you had linked this already. I find it disturbing that this was scrubbed/omitted from all of the press reporting.
Did this audio come directly from Liveatc.net? The only reason I ask is because it sounds like this audio has been spliced together from several different frequencies.

Did this audio come directly from Liveatc.net? The only reason I ask is because it sounds like this audio has been spliced together from several different frequencies.

Yea, it's from LiveATC. They got approach and tower on that recording.

Thanks for the ATC link. Good find. So we have several reports of balloons for which there are zero press reports and one report of a drone at the same time which creates an international media frenzy. This says a lot about the press.

It also says a lot for the ability of pilots to accuracy identify objects while 5,000ft in the air traveling at 250MPH and busy landing a plane. I don't discount the intentions of the pilots but it looks they mistook a balloon for a drone.

Reactions: skyeboysteve

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr