Lowepro Product Testing

This is the exact thread I was looking for!

BACKGROUND info:

I am a photographer with a nice amount of gear:
Canon 40D, Mark II Mark III
Canon 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 L lenses
Flashes, 5 other lenses and macro gear
Sometimes I even carry that giga pan panorama maker.

On a hike I trend to try to carry as much as I could fitting the need of the hike.

I own a handful of lowpro bags already but nothing suits a drone and photo gear together. I do love the dryzone rover bag however you seemed to discontinue the one I bought. Its the one with the hydration system.

Now for the important stuff:

I went to B&H photo in Manhattan to check out the DJI manfrotto bag for my upcoming trip to Utah and Colorado. I found it in their used department for $259. It seemed like a nice bag however after using it this weekend on a camping trip, the setup and take down times are just too long for my liking. Additionally, there is basically zero room in there for anything else if you plan on going on a decently long trip in which you need water. I took a look at the pro trekker 450 aw but I was not sure if the drone would fit or not so I passed on it. I also did not like that apparently the pro trekker 450 aw can not fit into airline over head compartments. Airlines suck.

Overall I do not know what to do about this silly drone and my photogear. I think I am going to try to rig something to carry the drone on my lowepro rover bag externally and hope it doesnt break on these long hikes. Its probably not the smartest idea but I have been taking wonderful pictures for years with a camera. Besides the camera battery lasts a lot longer than the drone.

Anyways, Ian, I would be a very qualified person to give input as well as test your bag in the future. Let me know when the beta model comes out!

Reactions: Ian Hughes
Hey Everyone!

My name is Ian and I am a product designer at Lowepro, a camera accessories brand that creates carry and protection solutions for photographers and videographers. Recently we released our new Drone Guard Kit (http://store.lowepro.com/droneguard-kit), a carrying tray that keeps your gear organized and easy to transport to your flight location. As of now we are developing a backpack concept that will allow users to comfortably transport and protect their phantom(or other similar sized drone) on long excursions or to more hard to reach shooting locations. I am looking for drone users that are passionate about flying and capturing aerial images that can give insights to how they currently transport their gear. Insights that explain, what gear you bring to your flight location? What do you use to transport that gear(some photos would be super helpful to show how you set up your carrying rig), How do you like that current transport system? And if possible, how could transporting/protecting your ariel photography gear be improved?. It would help me out a great deal to get some real world feedback on how users are transporting their gear!

Hope to hear from you!
Ian
I'm looking for one at the moment. If it can accommodate a P3P with propguards installed I'll buy one asap.

Glad to see LowePro getting into the game, I have a number of your products for my other photography equipment, and am quite disappointed with the backpack offerings available today from other companies. Highly overpriced, poor features, poor ergonomics. Excited to see what you'll be bringing to market, and would have happy to put a beta product through its paces.

That being said, my day-to-day carrying solution is a pelican case. Cumbersone to travel with, but protection is second to none. When I do need to hike with it, I have my own custom getup with straps, pouches, etc. Comfort is as important as protection, and water resistance (like other Lowepro products) will be great to have. Expand-ability, or at the very least, adaptability will be very important, given the wide array of components for the different phantom lines (antennas, batteries, FPV gear, etc). Lots of molle loops internally and externally would help with that.

Reactions: Ian Hughes
Ian,

Can you please update us on when Lowepro will release their backpack? I would also like to know which of your current models will accommodate the phantom 3.

Ian,

Can you please update us on when Lowepro will release their backpack? I would also like to know which of your current models will accommodate the phantom 3.
Keep an eye at their site too as I went to order the bag and they were out but signed up to be notified when they came in .

I'd love to have a bag that has external tripod straps and room for a DSLR + 1-2 lenses. Hopefully it wouldn't be the size of a hikers backpack

But I also think a hikers backpack would be welcomed with room for a hydration pouch, additional interior space aside from drone gear and extra external straps for additional gear to be added.

GPC backpack with laser cut inserts. External pockets and straps with a hydration compartment

Ian- The Think Tank Airport Helipak is what I use and it's just about perfect. I would copy their design :D

Ian,

In a few weeks we are launching our Drone Guard Kit worldwide along with some other new goodies.... P3 and Solo quad sized.

Hey Everyone!

My name is Ian and I am a product designer at Lowepro, a camera accessories brand that creates carry and protection solutions for photographers and videographers. Recently we released our new Drone Guard Kit (http://store.lowepro.com/droneguard-kit), a carrying tray that keeps your gear organized and easy to transport to your flight location. As of now we are developing a backpack concept that will allow users to comfortably transport and protect their phantom(or other similar sized drone) on long excursions or to more hard to reach shooting locations. I am looking for drone users that are passionate about flying and capturing aerial images that can give insights to how they currently transport their gear. Insights that explain, what gear you bring to your flight location? What do you use to transport that gear(some photos would be super helpful to show how you set up your carrying rig), How do you like that current transport system? And if possible, how could transporting/protecting your ariel photography gear be improved?. It would help me out a great deal to get some real world feedback on how users are transporting their gear!

Hope to hear from you!
Ian
How about adding a foldable take-off landing pad?

Reactions: Fat City
Too bad that by using cookies on your website, they can't be seen from outside the US.
Since links are redirected to LowePro local branches that don't even know of the DroneGuard yet. :(

Ian,

Your drone guard kit looks good - I considered it, but needed something to transport my Phantoms easier for farther distances. I'm currently using the Think Tank Airport Helipak. It's a pretty good fit for my needs with a couple of exceptions. The waist belt could be better padded and more robust. But the main problem is protecting the camera and gimbal attachment. As can be seen in my photo, I made more portection from some foam. I was worried about stress on the rubber attachements connecting the camera / gimbal to the quadcopter. I'm sure you guys could make some quite a bit better. Thanks. Ron

Attachments

• Bag+ProtectionLo.jpg
    Bag+ProtectionLo.jpg
    903.7 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Hey Everyone!

My name is Ian and I am a product designer at Lowepro, a camera accessories brand that creates carry and protection solutions for photographers and videographers. Recently we released our new Drone Guard Kit (DroneGuard Kit Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases), a carrying tray that keeps your gear organized and easy to transport to your flight location. As of now we are developing a backpack concept that will allow users to comfortably transport and protect their phantom(or other similar sized drone) on long excursions or to more hard to reach shooting locations. I am looking for drone users that are passionate about flying and capturing aerial images that can give insights to how they currently transport their gear. Insights that explain, what gear you bring to your flight location? What do you use to transport that gear(some photos would be super helpful to show how you set up your carrying rig), How do you like that current transport system? And if possible, how could transporting/protecting your ariel photography gear be improved?. It would help me out a great deal to get some real world feedback on how users are transporting their gear!

Hope to hear from you!
Ian
Hi Ian,

I would like to have a backpack that can fit both the Phantom 3 and a full size DSLR like 5D Mark III + a couple short lenses like 24-70mm and 85mm. When I travel now, I have to carry 2 Lowepro bags with me; Nova Sport for the drone with props, batteries, chargers and another Lowepro bag for the camera and its accessories. I don't really like it much since I have to carry 2 bags. I've been looking into Manfrotto D1 backpack since it might have what I need; it has separate pockets for drone batteries and props. The top compartment has room for the camera and a small lens. It also fits the carry-on size requirement so this is important for traveler like me.

For me, the backpack has to have nice and comfortable shoulder straps. It also should have ventilated back panel that provides sufficient ventilation allowing sweat to evaporate. The back panel should also provide comfort by its ergonomically shaped fabric.

Now that I know Lowepro is developing a new backpack, I'll probably wait for it since I'm a big fan of their bags. I would love to test out the sample and provide feedback.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20