Low resale value?

Reaction score
Anyone noticing the resale of the P4 seems considerably low?

I checked my local CL and they're going for around $600-800.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Welcome to the world of drones. The tech advances to quickly right now that this will be the case for years to come. After a year, expect to get about 1/2 of what you paid for your set up.

Welcome to the world of drones. The tech advances to quickly right now that this will be the case for years to come. After a year, expect to get about 1/2 of what you paid for your set up.

But, didn't the P4 just came out a few months ago??

I paid $700 for my used P3P this year and sold it 3weeks later for $800 and bought the P4 brand new.

It happens with everything. People go out and buy a new Canon or Nikon camera for big bucks and then the mfg come out with new models . It's a mind thing. I have 3 P1s and still love them for what I do. I don't need the latest gadget out there. The new Mavic seems nice for the selfie person. I think too small for long VLOS flying. The Phantom is hard enough to see when a ways out. With the VLOS rules, I don't understand why so many are focused on going 4 miles out. Just enjoy your bird and fly. If you are caught up and have to have the latest model and lose sleep because the value of you fairly new bird is so low....that's life. The release of new models and so many trying to sell their current model to buy the latest drives the prices down. It's a buyers market. My P1s are not hardly worth anything to sell but to me they are still worth every penny I paid for them. I like to fly mine....not have them fly themselves. I also like the fact than I am not restricted by NFZ and other crap. To each his own. I bought a new Canon DSLR in 2010 for over a $1000. Not long after newer models came out and the value of mine dropped per the market...but not to me. It still is a better camera than I am a photographer and I have been doing photography since 1969. I used to be caught up in this crazy spiral. I let that go many years ago. A new camera or a new multirotor doesn't make you better. YOU make you better. Good luck with giving your birds away.

I paid $700 for my used P3P this year and sold it 3weeks later for $800 and bought the P4 brand new.

Be happy that you got your P3P for $700. Many had paid $1399 plus to get a set.

Be happy that you got your P3P for $700. Many had paid $1399 plus to get a set.

When the P1 came out it was about $699. I was getting into quads at the time . I bought some less expensive quads to introduce myself. I got my first P1 in April 2014 at $479. Then as newer Phantoms came out, in Jan of 2015 I bought another for $379 and in June of 2015 I bought another for $299. They are all still flying great. They are set up with different stuff like gimbals etc. No regrets.

Have to take into consideration the number discharges on the batteries. Not sure of the lifetime of the P4 batteries, but they do have a finite number according to what I have seen online.
Secondly, the buyer doesn't know how it has been treated. (Crashed only once****) Too bad there isn't a DroneFax.

**** from 200 feet into a lake

Have to take into consideration the number discharges on the batteries. Not sure of the lifetime of the P4 batteries, but they do have a finite number according to what I have seen online.
Secondly, the buyer doesn't know how it has been treated. (Crashed only once****) Too bad there isn't a DroneFax.

**** from 200 feet into a lake
Hardly anything for sale has been crashed or had a hard landing.. totally problem free. yeah sure

Reactions: Cactus Wren
The constant developments companies like DJI, Yuneec, 3DR etc are making is breathtaking. Unfortunately it means if you buy something today within months, even weeks it could be surpassed by a new model.
Any used portable device in the resale market caries the risk that it has been dropped (crashed in the case of drones) therefore the resale price takes another hit to reflect this risk.

Personally for me to consider a used drone over a brand new unit (off of ebay without physically touching it) it would have to be close to 50% it's retail price. I would expect to have to replace batteries, props, engine mounts etc.

***TRADE-IN AND UPGRADE TO THE BRAND NEW DJI MAVIC PRO***
Check out Expert Drones' new drone trade-in and drone buy-back program. We are currently offering money or store credit for you to sell us your used DJI Phantom 2, 3, 4 or Inspire 1. Expert Drones trade in program is the best in the business. See below for our current offers.

Drone Trade-In

P4 $899.00 Trade in

$799 cash

I don't understand your point. You acquired a used P3 for roughly half the close to launch retail price. You shouldn't expect the P4 used asking price to be substantially different.

***TRADE-IN AND UPGRADE TO THE BRAND NEW DJI MAVIC PRO***
Check out Expert Drones' new drone trade-in and drone buy-back program. We are currently offering money or store credit for you to sell us your used DJI Phantom 2, 3, 4 or Inspire 1. Expert Drones trade in program is the best in the business. See below for our current offers.

Drone Trade-In

P4 $899.00 Trade in

$799 cash
how reliable is this vendor? how do i know they wont just take my drone and then close down.

Reactions: Cactus Wren

If you think of your P4 as a stock, which you shouldn't, it just took a hit with the release of the Mavic.

Once the community realizes that they are two different things, the price will probably go back up. As a reseller, but not an authorized one, I can tell you that everything from the birds themselves to the accessories all have major fluctuations in price.

As I have said many times, there is a sect of the P4 community that wants the Mavic and losing that group is not cannabizing because they want a small form factor.

A perfect example is I like to fly my Phantom over my Inspire because I enjoy flying it more and it's smaller and both are toys because you can't deliver broadcast quality but they are professional to the person that wants the Mavic. I want the Mavic by the way, lol. But I want everything.

Either way, the Mavic isn't for the P4 user, it's for the Mavic user of which some P4 people are.

Or you might have a place for both.

Real world example: I am going to Carlsbad with my family tomorrow for the weekend. I would rather bring the Mavic than my P4, Inspire or H but the P4 is coming but not if I owned a Mavic or a wife who was more into the UAS world.

Reactions: Drone Master
Used P4s aren't that cheap in my area. Asking price with maybe an additional battery is $1k With no extras 900 bucks.

For me "Drones" are one of those things I buy where "resale" isn't part of my purchasing decision. Its about what it can do for me, budget and how much use I get out of it.

If you think of your P4 as a stock, which you shouldn't, it just took a hit with the release of the Mavic.

Once the community realizes that they are two different things, the price will probably go back up. As a reseller, but not an authorized one, I can tell you that everything from the birds themselves to the accessories all have major fluctuations in price.

As I have said many times, there is a sect of the P4 community that wants the Mavic and losing that group is not cannabizing because they want a small form factor.

A perfect example is I like to fly my Phantom over my Inspire because I enjoy flying it more and it's smaller and both are toys because you can't deliver broadcast quality but they are professional to the person that wants the Mavic. I want the Mavic by the way, lol. But I want everything.

Either way, the Mavic isn't for the P4 user, it's for the Mavic user of which some P4 people are.

Or you might have a place for both.

Real world example: I am going to Carlsbad with my family tomorrow for the weekend. I would rather bring the Mavic than my P4, Inspire or H but the P4 is coming but not if I owned a Mavic or a wife who was more into the UAS world.

One of the reasons for me as well. I'm making a trip to the Philippines next year. I wasn't even planning on taking my P4, but if I had something like the mavic that I can simply throw in my camera bag.

Reactions: Jussaguy
I don't understand your point. You acquired a used P3 for roughly half the close to launch retail price. You shouldn't expect the P4 used asking price to be substantially different.

Time of release of each bird and the depreciation rate, puts the P4 at a lower value. Partially due to the mavic' release.

It happens with everything. People go out and buy a new Canon or Nikon camera for big bucks and then the mfg come out with new models . It's a mind thing. I have 3 P1s and still love them for what I do. I don't need the latest gadget out there. The new Mavic seems nice for the selfie person. I think too small for long VLOS flying. The Phantom is hard enough to see when a ways out. With the VLOS rules, I don't understand why so many are focused on going 4 miles out. Just enjoy your bird and fly. If you are caught up and have to have the latest model and lose sleep because the value of you fairly new bird is so low....that's life. The release of new models and so many trying to sell their current model to buy the latest drives the prices down. It's a buyers market. My P1s are not hardly worth anything to sell but to me they are still worth every penny I paid for them. I like to fly mine....not have them fly themselves. I also like the fact than I am not restricted by NFZ and other crap. To each his own. I bought a new Canon DSLR in 2010 for over a $1000. Not long after newer models came out and the value of mine dropped per the market...but not to me. It still is a better camera than I am a photographer and I have been doing photography since 1969. I used to be caught up in this crazy spiral. I let that go many years ago. A new camera or a new multirotor doesn't make you better. YOU make you better. Good luck with giving your birds away.

well said mate [emoji106]

I expect DJI to drop the price of the P4 very soon. This will force the used prices even lower. If you want to unload one, do it now.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie