Low range on P3S solved! (and presentation!)

Reaction score
Greetings everyone!
My name is Pablo and I live in Argentina.
I finally got my fist Phantom last month! I previously owned a toy quadcopter which altough it had a nice camera, on my fist trip to the mountain, a strong wind pushed him out of the reach of the RC and went straigh down a river!

With the phantom, is like enetring a new leage! Videos are amazing!

Enough presentation, lets get to the low range problems.

I bought the P3S on jan 2015 and after unboxing I updated software to v1.8.0.0
I noticeed at the very begining that the range was not OK. I´ve started to see erratic signal reception when I hit it 40 to 70 mts (either vertical or horizontal). Even using a printed windsuf antenna, the numbers where really bad.

With the drone static in the air, on one moment I had full signal, and on other I got low RC signal warning, untill finally RTH was activated.

(keep in mind thant since I´m in Argentina, my RC is set to CE most probably.

At first I though it might be the wifi routers, the many trees arround, etc.

But I tried some days later my drone on the farm and on the beach, with the same result.

So, after reading & researching, relinking the RC, reading some more, calibrating RC, reading some more, calibrating the ICM and reading some more, I finally decided to open the RC.

I´ts difficult to explain the releaf sensation when i slightly pressed the 5.8 pigtail connectod, and felt that unique sensation of the connector snapping in.

After that and some hot glue later, Chorizo was tested (chorizo is like a "saugage" vey traditional during bbq´s, and its my P3S name). Got to 150 mts horizontal and 101 vertical with good signal, and altough i did had few signal lost, the RTH never got to kick in as the signal was recovered (keep in mind, a lot of tree, wifi, Mhz data links, etc. near-by).

Conclusion, another P3S with the antenna connector unpluged, for the count!

Regards!
P.

Last edited:
love chorizo and eggs

Pablo,
Well, I learned something, you guys have to be on the lookout for errant wifi signals just like we do. I thought mistakenly that Argentina was a lot more sparsely dotted with cell signals and wifi.
We have chorizo up here, some of it good, but some really bad. I had to try it several times before I got a taste of the good, and not something that squeezed out of a tube like tooth paste. Keep your props on. :)

I had the same issue. I found the plug while doing an Inspire tablet mount installation. I think my cable must have been connected but not snapped in as the range didn't change. I'm still about 1200ft max.

DBS mod will work wonders on both rc and FPV. I would recommend going to a wide open area and learning ALL functions especially manual RTH. Learning to fly ATTI is also a good idea. This should keep you challenged until you are ready to do the mod.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik