Low light P4P horrible?

Reaction score
Hmm.. I shot a few moments just after sunset and the noise is terrible.

I added some reduction and a little grading but I don't think it's looking good enough for me. I shot this 4k 50fps and downscaled to 1920x1080 and the grain is horrid. I am pretty sure the ISO wasn't massively high-perhaps 800 or less.

None on colour profile and 0-0-0 on other colour settings.

But won't that give you jerkiness and a strange jagged movement?
Only in really fast moving/close up type stuff. But it's one or the other, this isn't a camera capable of fast moving close up in low light.

I film everything in 30 fps and do not have jerky or jagged movements.

Only in really fast moving/close up type stuff. But it's one or the other, this isn't a camera capable of fast moving close up in low light.

I film everything in 30 fps and do not have jerky or jagged movements.

Even in bright light? I was always under the impression that if I'm shooting 1920x1080 at 25p I should be using a shutter speed of 1/50 unless it's something I specifically want to slow down the motion in post. That's the rule I've always shot by using my EOS cinema stuff.

I use 30fps for every lighting situation. From what I've read here with the phantom, over the 30fps the 4k is not that good, there are a few threads, it's dropping/interpolating frames basically to "cheat" and the quality isn't that great. 4k60p is.. not true 4k.

from that thread

It seems that the sensor readout is skipping lines once you're shooting in 48/60p which results in rather noticable softness/aliasing of the overall image. 4k/48p and 4k/60p are really closer to 1080p in terms of vertical resolution than 4k

I use 30fps for every lighting situation. From what I've read here with the phantom, over the 30fps the 4k is not that good, there are a few threads, it's dropping/interpolating frames basically to "cheat" and the quality isn't that great. 4k60p is.. not true 4k.

from that thread

It seems that the sensor readout is skipping lines once you're shooting in 48/60p which results in rather noticable softness/aliasing of the overall image. 4k/48p and 4k/60p are really closer to 1080p in terms of vertical resolution than 4k
Of course in PAL land we can only get 1/50 as the base shutter rate at 4k 60p. Of course ropping to 25p allows slower shutters in the video settings.
On the GoPro's I usually shoot 2.7k - this seems to be the best quality when put into a 1920x1080 frame. Probably the same for the p4p.

Hmm.. I shot a few moments just after sunset and the noise is terrible.

I added some reduction and a little grading but I don't think it's looking good enough for me. I shot this 4k 50fps and downscaled to 1920x1080 and the grain is horrid. I am pretty sure the ISO wasn't massively high-perhaps 800 or less.

None on colour profile and 0-0-0 on other colour settings.

What are you using for reduction? I had a similar issue yesterday flying near sunset...

What are you using for reduction? I had a similar issue yesterday flying near sunset...
Neat video - but it's slow as hell and I dunno- my Mac is top end fully loaded and that plugin makes the beachball appear.

Even in bright light? I was always under the impression that if I'm shooting 1920x1080 at 25p I should be using a shutter speed of 1/50 unless it's something I specifically want to slow down the motion in post. That's the rule I've always shot by using my EOS cinema stuff.

In low light shoot at a lower framerate. The bitrate really isnt good enough to handle this new 50/60fps framerate in 4k. Its finally good enough for 30/25. Ill use 60 on a bright day when im shooting action sports but otherwise I keep it at 30 or 24 depending on the client.

Of course in PAL land we can only get 1/50 as the base shutter rate at 4k 60p. Of course ropping to 25p allows slower shutters in the video settings.
On the GoPro's I usually shoot 2.7k - this seems to be the best quality when put into a 1920x1080 frame. Probably the same for the p4p.
In P4P you have the best quality in 4k 24/30fps H265. You must record in these settings to achieve the best IQ, and even more in low light. With 30FPS and a shutter speed of 1/60 you win one step in light, put ISO 400 or 800 max and the lowest aperture. With these settings you will have great quality, even more if you use Neat Video in post.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

In P4P you have the best quality in 4k 24/30fps H265. You must record in these settings to achieve the best IQ, and even more in low light. With 30FPS and a shutter speed of 1/60 you win one step in light, put ISO 400 or 800 max and the lowest aperture. With these settings you will have great quality, even more if you use Neat Video in post.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk
THANK YOU!

Can I say though - in 265 I've not seen a convincing argument to use this over 264 - it's a hassle to re-encode too..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj