Low cost light weight headlight! Buy locally!

hard to see but just slides over connectors
2016-02-26 15.20.07.jpg

ok all you have to due is type in lights strips for phantom 3 on amazon are lots of them
2016-02-26 15.39.52.jpg

you feed it thru the vent

no problem glad to help if you put one on your love it

Reactions: RayH
yes that's it just pick your color

ck out mydronelight.com they have some wild ones

Last night I fell asleep early and didnt get my test flight. But tonight I did and wow I love it. Really looks bad *** and I like that I can change the look and everything. This evening I soldered my light strips power wires to the battery terminals where the factory wires are soldered (its on the back side of the terminals if you look you will see the solder and wire leading back.) Im gonna try to upload a video so you guys can see.

Here is the kit that I used. Its not water proof because I would never fly in the rain also it weighs less. There are many kits out there with different features. But this was the actual kit I used and it works great you just cut the light strip to the needed size. Mount the small white box on the landing gear and cut and strip the power adapter wire and solder the positive and negative wires in place just behind the battery contacts where the original power wires connect. For $15 its a good deal and you get the remote with all the different colors and different pulsation blah blah blah features.
5M 5050 RGB SMD 300 LEDs Flexible Strip Light+24Keys IR Remote+12V Power Adapter

those are nice but rather not have to solder anything put up a pic of bird installed like to see it

that's awesome guess I need to change my lights thanks .is that battery pack rechargeable and how long does it hold a charge plus when you get a min would like to talk to you how you hooked them up

Last edited:
View attachment 45015 View attachment 45017 View attachment 45013 View attachment 45010 Ive been looking for a small low cost light to put on my P34K as a headlight so I can easily see that I am pointing back in my direction when flying at night. Granted I can use my DJI GO app but I want line of sight at night. While shopping at WalMart yesterday I came across a real nice 2 pack of white LED lights that are totally self contained and no need to hook up any wires etc. Has a on/off switch and is sealed and appears to be water resistant. At $4.88 its a real good deal and you get 2 of them! I also bought a small roll of 3M Super Strength Mounting Tape for $2.97 to attach my light to my Phantom. It was all near the automotive dept at WalMart. So for less than $8 I got 2 lights and mounting tape, enough to do 2 Phantoms or 1 Phantom with 2 lights because I can always color one of them and make it a tail light. Before attaching it to the front of my Phantom I removed a small round magnet from the back cover as I did not want it to interfere with any signals. I used a sharp pointed pick to remove it. Then I cut 2 small strips of mounting tape applied it to the lights back cover and mounted the light on the front of my P34K. Well enough talk take a look at my pictures. Enjoy!
Weight is estimated at around 7 grams but I dont have a scale so thats just a guess.
View attachment 45010 View attachment 45011 View attachment 45011 View attachment 45010
Cool you can also use a heads strap headlight around the legs or Velcro some of these Portable 16 LED Selfie Flash Fill Flash Light for Samsung iPhone Smartphone hs

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Rambo1
that's awesome guess I need to change my lights thanks .is that battery pack rechargeable and how long does it hold a charge plus when you get a min would like to talk to you how you hooked them up

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR MULTI COLOR LIGHT KIT WITH REMOTE

I took my time and the install took about an hour. The light kit comes with a 110V wall charger that plugs into the small white box that holds a small circuit board and has one lead exiting it ending in an infa red sensor. While the other lead is a plug where you connect the LED light strip to it.

Start by measuring around your quad to get an estimate of how many inches long you will need and add an additional 6 inches just in case so you dont come up a little short as I did. Cutting the light strip only where you see a cut mark with a scisors symbol. Next starting from the rear where the battery is peel and attach the strip all the way around pressing hard and making sure it sticks on well. For saftey add a wire tie to each arm near the motors so if the strip comes loose it will not get tangled up with a prop. Now attach the white box on the landing gear and secure it with a wire tie or tape or both. I like to use aluminum peel and stick duct tape you can get at home depot in rolls for $7. Because its durable and easy to cut and work with. Tape the infa red sensor wire so it points outwards for an easy shot at it with the remote control. Now comes the part to supply the white box with battery power. As it will be using power from your DJI battery. Estimate how long the wire needs to be and cut it and strip about 1 inch at the end off of the black covering exposing the 2 thinner wires inside. Passit through one of the side vents closest to the battery connectors on the phantom. In the photo you will see that behind the battery connector blades are the factory solder points for the power to the mainboard of your quad. Take your soldering iron and tin the stripped ends of the wires that go to the lights with some solder. Take note that the top terminal is the positive and the bottom terminal is negative. With care hold the red wire just over the solder joint and solder your wire to it. Do the same with the black wire too. Be very neat and make sure there is no possible way any positive and negative wires come close. Not even a single strand can be allowed to short out or your bird will be falling from the sky! Nice neat clean work and wire routing is in order here. One you are done slip in your battery checking that all clears well and turn on the battery and then turn on your new lights! Check and recheck everything is secure and nice and neat and you are now good to go! Here are some pics
20160301_011327[1].jpg
20160301_011336[1].jpg
20160301_011307[1].jpg
20160301_011426[1].jpg
20160301_011442[1].jpg
20160301_011118_001[1].jpg
20160301_011038_001[1].jpg
20160228_230057[1].jpg
20160228_230112[1].jpg

Last edited:
Soldering your power wires most likely will void your waranty so if you are worried about that you can get that slip over the terminals connector with another cheap light kit and use it for this project instead. Next I want to add a bubble machine and maybe even a rocket launcher! ha ha Just kidding! I must say this thing is a sight to see at night and I dont think it even takes away one minute of flight time. Im loving it and this hobby. Really makes me happy. Also enjoying the carbon fiber props I got on ebay for less than $12 and always balance your props when you get them. Here check it out. 2Pair 9450 Self-locking Carbon Fiber Propeller CW/CCW F/DJI Phantom Vision Black
They are lighter and totally firm with no flex at all. I get better speeds out of them. Just last week I had a 10mph tail wind and I was hitting over 40 mph! Good product just make sure you put them on tightly as the centers are metal. Happy flying!

thanks Rambo that helps a lot now I can just cut and put on old wires ,awesome going to order today .no different how it flys

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic