Low battery warning

Reaction score
Went out tonight for a fly with the phantom was out close to 11,000 feet had about 65 percent battery left and got a low battery warning said return to home was gonna kick in I cancelled it and headed home never heard the warning again my question is is this a faulty battery, battery is brand new maybe 3 charges on it bought it at Best Buy anyone have any ideas as to why I got the warning

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Went out tonight for a fly with the phantom was out close to 11,000 feet had about 65 percent battery left and got a low battery warning said return to home was gonna kick in I cancelled it and headed home never heard the warning again my question is is this a faulty battery, battery is brand new maybe 3 charges on it bought it at Best Buy anyone have any ideas as to why I got the warning

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Sounds like the battery is fine, it's the smart battery feature called low battery RTH. It calculates that you need certain amount of battery left to get back and initiates this process to ensure you don't fly further away than you can make it back. Unfortunately, it doesn't really account for wind or other conditions, so it's not always accurate, but is a good safety feature.

from the manual

page13image2048

Low Battery RTH

The low battery level failsafe is triggered when the DJI Intelligent Flight Battery is depleted to a point that may affect the safe return of the aircraft. Users are advised to return home or land the aircraft immediately when prompted. The DJI Pilot app will display a notice when a low battery warning is triggered. The aircraft will automatically return to the Home Point if no action is taken after a ten-second countdown. The user can cancel the RTH procedure by pressing the RTH button on the remote controller. The thresholds for these warnings are automatically determined based on the aircraft’s current altitude and distance from the Home Point.

Please stop looking at % of the battery !!

You muste change your setting to see the VOLTAGE in the main menu.
There is a button to activate that "show voltage", it will show you the voltage of the lowest cell (there is 4 cell in the battery)

The calculation we are talking about is base on that voltage, not on the %

I recommend to change the button under the right side of the remote to quickly show you the BATTERY screen INFO.

Have a safe flight !!

Please stop looking at % of the battery !!

You muste change your setting to see the VOLTAGE in the main menu.
There is a button to activate that "show voltage", it will show you the voltage of the lowest cell (there is 4 cell in the battery)

The calculation we are talking about is base on that voltage, not on the %

I recommend to change the button under the right side of the remote to quickly show you the BATTERY screen INFO.

Have a safe flight !!

Agreed..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Humm, from what i experience, 4.xx is good, start from the home point with battery fully charge.

When reach 3.5 (the lowest of 4 cells) , you must be pretty near your start location.

Is there an inheritant danger to flying with a low battery temp, eg could the drone simply stop working? Ie the battery switch off? In flight due to cold temp? Or maybe it doesn't work that way.?

Is there an inheritant danger to flying with a low battery temp, eg could the drone simply stop working? Ie the battery switch off? In flight due to cold temp? Or maybe it doesn't work that way.?

I'd like to hear if anyone has any real world experience with ambient temps. and would share.

DJI tells us the the low operating temperature is 0c

Lots of discussion from last winter can be found with a search.

Quick answer is, you want your battery to be at least 20C on launch. Once it's in the air, the use of the battery will generally keep it warm due to its chemistry.

My understanding is the P3 will warn you if the battery gets below 20C and it will auto-land at 15C.

It would be a critical situation if your battery gets below 15C while in the air. Something called "voltage lag" in Lipo battery cells is pronounced in lower temps which may cause the battery to suddenly shut down at inconvenient moments. Thankfully, that's almost impossible in the P3.

Last fall (didn't fly much in Chicago past Thanksgiving) when it started getting cold I always kept my next battery or two inside my coat where my body heat kept them warm. Made a difference when going to the next battery.
I have one battery that definitely doesn't like to fly cold- even in mild weather. If I launch and try to power up and away too soon before it warms a bit, I get a "Damaged cell" warning. But if I let it warm a bit, low hover & start out slow, that same battery performs just fine. But I do keep an eye on that one and tend not to send it far away now.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers