Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Low Battery Indicator?

Discussion in 'Phantom FC40 Discussion' started by dragonash, Apr 12, 2014.

1. dragonash

So I've been reading up on it and the only way to know that the FC40 is low on voltage is by its flashing red light.

My question is, if you are very high up and cant see the light and it triggers the auto landing mode (lets say you just lost track of time), how much time do you really have before it cuts off and crashes?

no, I have not crashed it yet lol
    In fact, I am overly paranoid about being too high and having a low battery

2. KennyBKK

I'm worried also. First I thought that I can look at the timer on FC40 app what it recorded the video. However, I found out that if I fly too far from WiFi range the app stop.

Perhaps, a small timer attached to the remote is a good idea.

Kanok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. dbphantom

i have been wondering the same if you cant see the butt light how do you know? time your batt? also,does the phantom auto land when you hit 20% batt power draining the batt below 20 is bad for the batt

4. dsiles

5. Boozshey

If I'm not using OSD, I just set a timer. I have studdied my batteries through test flying and have a good idea when I should land depending on the pair I use.

Even if I cut myself short a couple minutes it's still much more safe then running to the edge and losing track.

6. dbphantom

does the phantom controller/transmitter get an alarm light when you get low batt on the quad

7. dragonash

That was going to be my original question as well. The manuals just say an alarm goes off. I thought it sent a signal to the transmitter, but they didnt specify. So I looked around and figured it was from the quad itself

8. Jetmarine

I use a Free app called Pantom Timer, it verbally calls out the time in 30 second intervals you can do other things like track the time of each battery and have it count down the time remaining it is only a simple audio timer and not connected to the phantom

9. Harlequin

Great post guys. Until I get the charge checker I do a very simple thing: Hit start on the stop watch on my watch.

I came close to a crash landing the other day as the red light was flashing but facing away from me but got down safely. Checked my watch: 7 minutes, so clearly I needed more charge in that battery.

10. KG4MXV

Well I don't have a FC40 but I do have a P2V and its transmitter does have two way communications with the craft.
    Since I can update the transmitters (controller) firmware when I am connected via USB to the craft and the transmitter is on.

So I don't see why not it couldn't send a status alert back to the transmitter ( controller.)

11. dragonash

sounds like the transmitter for the P2V and FC40 are different via hardware?
    I noticed this when I was researching the H3-3D. I dont think my FC40 transmitter has the gimbal control on its backside

12. npalen

13. npalen

And the voltage at which the alarm sounds is easily adjustable with a tiny button on the end of the device. Plugs into the batteries balance port.

14. Norte23

Hi guys, I'm a newbie to this quadcopter thing so bare with me, I recieved my new fc40 phantom on thursday, today on the standard 2200mah lipo I flew & recorded from take off for 8mins 50sec, then carried on flying around for a further 10mins before the red tail light started flashing.......hows this possible if people are only getting like 8 mins flight time out of theirs????

Mark

15. npalen

You must have received a bad battery. Send it to me and I will fix it for you. Don't bother sending a return address. :D

Edit: Sorry, just being a smart-***. Twenty minutes is an awful lot of 2200mah battery.

16. Harlequin

Just tried ordering and the **** thing can't be shipped to either a UK or Spanish address. Bummer.

17. dbphantom

i get 10 mins with the brand new batt and thats flying bareass,the phantom,not me.no gopro.

18. J.James

when you say "I have mine set at 3.6V" do you mean 3.6v per cell? not 3.6 total volts from all 3 cells?

19. jetdust

The link below is great for phantom flyers who don't have underbelly lighting. . I installed it on my quad, very easy and now I know when my battery is low. Ive had it out pretty far and it's never disconnected, very simple to install and extremely lightweight. Basically a stamp sized circuit board with a wire attached to it that transmits battery level and a receiver that you attach to your controller. When the battery gets to your preset level the receiver starts to vibrate so you know to come home.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto ... duct=40033

20. Harlequin

I managed to pic up an indicator from Hobby King.