Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Low antenna range

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by gfo315, Feb 16, 2015.

1. gfo315

Just came home from a beach flight. As my Phantom is less than one month old, this was the first flight which she ran out of my field of view - I only had FPV.

But the thing is, I've seen that Phantom's OEM RC can go up to 1km range, but that's not what happened. When getting approximately 280m away from it, the Vision app showed some RC instability. I don't think it's any interference because there were no close cars and buildings were even further. Also, the antenna was horizontal and facing the Phantom.

What do you guys think it was? Or is the 1km not reachable with the OEM?

Attached Files:

2. BlackTracer

This is definitely part of the problem. The antenna side should face the Phantom, not the tip. In other words, when the Phantom is out in front of you the antenna should face the sky.

3. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Many variables, the main one being the angle between the Tx and RX antennas.
    For best signal reception the antennas have to be parallel with the Tx antenna facing the Phantom - not just for the flat side to be directed towards the Phantom - but it isn't always easy to have this.
    I have managed 3200 feet but usually less than that.

4. gfo315

Yeah, that's exactly what I did - the antenna's side was facing Phantom, parallel to range extender. But as Meta4 said, it might be a little bit tricky and I may haven't done it correctly. Go figure.
    Any other tips you guys can share?