Loving the waypoints! Just went out 3 3/4 miles then back.

That's ridiculous.
To be very clear here I'm talking about flying outside of line of sight.

As a pilot you are trained to scan the horizon at interval degrees. You cannot do this flying a phantom 3 in fpv.. therefor you cannot see and avoid.

That will be one of the first things Congress or the FAA goes after.

As a pilot of general aviation aircraft as well as a phantom 3 pilot I have a clearer view of this than most.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: ScottyT
Wow - this is fantastic - thanks for sharing!! It handles the flight really well. I own DJI UF but did not install the custom firmware yet (wasn't brave enough :) ). I am waiting for DJI to release a stable version with the SDK support.

I had a couple of questions:
- What was the speed during the flight? It seems like getting there was a bit faster than coming back
- How much battery you had when you landed? that was a really long flight - 18:30.
- What was the max distance? and did you get video feed the whole time?

And last, how does the Ultimate flight handles the coordinates if there is wind? will it maintain course since you are in ATTI mode?

Thanks and cheers!

Title says it all. Landed with 26% battery left. Ignore the time thats not correct. Rendering the video now and will upload it shortly and post the link.

Screenshot_20150719-121034_zpsbvd1e6hi.png

EDIT: Here is the long range video from this flight. Youtube is still processing it so give it a little time.

Title says it all. Landed with 26% battery left. Ignore the time thats not correct. Rendering the video now and will upload it shortly and post the link.

Screenshot_20150719-121034_zpsbvd1e6hi.png

EDIT: Here is the long range video from this flight. Youtube is still processing it so give it a little time.

Nice, does it have banked turns option At the waypoints?

Relax guys. Its not working arguing about. I feel in my area as long as I stay low it is safe. Actually much safer than flying it LOS in a big city with tons of wifi interference. I am out here surrounded by farms, park, woods, water and a few scattered million dollar homes. Its not high enough to be a threat to any aircraft and if it goes haywire 99.9% chance if does not fall on anything that it could damage. Not sure I would do this in a congested city.

Reactions: Farmer and dottat4
Relax guys. Its not working arguing about. I feel in my area as long as I stay low it is safe. Actually much safer than flying it LOS in a big city with tons of wifi interference. I am out here surrounded by farms, park, woods, water and a few scattered million dollar homes. Its not high enough to be a threat to any aircraft and if it goes haywire 99.9% chance if does not fall on anything that it could damage. Not sure I would do this in a congested city.

I tend to agree and that is a more common sense response. However, it appears some people are just programming in waypoints and not actively monitoring their flights for issues or obstacles that might arise. They do whatever the heck they like. That's downright careless.

I leaving this forum, darn near every thread has some nut posting about rules that don't exist, the OP was happy and you get these idiots posting Nonexistent FAA crap.
I offered a comparison coming from the world of general aviation. The op and I continued that conversation offline (and it was perfectly sane/fine).

My intent is to warn a user who is thinking about putting this stuff out there is that you may find yourself subject to more scrutiny as you would in the general aviation world.

Trust me when I say this, if everyone starts to drive their birds from their living room television our time will be limited. They will take a negative interest in that.

No responsible insured party will leave line of sight.

There is nothing personal involved in having a responsible and meaningful conversation on this topic.

Reactions: stephen.houser1
By the way, that's some beautiful scenery. Mid west if I had to guess? very green for this time of the year.

For all the LOS junkies - autonomous flight with no LOS above farmland is a lot safer than LOS flight above the city. If you want to bark please move to the Google driver-less car forum. Hopefully someone there will put some sense in you.

By the way, that's some beautiful scenery. Mid west if I had to guess? very green for this time of the year.

For all the LOS junkies - autonomous flight with no LOS above farmland is a lot safer than LOS flight above the city. If you want to bark please move to the Google driver-less car forum. Hopefully someone there will put some sense in you.
Relatively speaking however the only danger present isn't dependent upon what's below. GA aircraft, hawks, eagles to name a few can collide with your bird from above/below and almost 270 degrees around you and it would be impossible to see and avoid using the fpv blinders (if you are even close enough for fpv). Plenty of risk still present to more than just the phantom.

That's the conversation. Be safe folks.

Last edited:
Yep, use common sense and be safe.

That's exactly it. Laws are often made because a segment of society lack common sense or otherwise see themselves as superior and above governance. There are common sense guidelines put out by the major hobbyist bodies, and if people see fit to publicly ignore them it's no surprise they eventually become enforced; especially if they result in near misses putting innocents in danger.

People should be flying quads (that lack various redundant components and sensors) with a view that at any time they could simply fall from the sky. Because they could. And they do. You only have to read the forums to understand that.

Last edited:
Reactions: funkdoobies
To be very clear here I'm talking about flying outside of line of sight.

As a pilot you are trained to scan the horizon at interval degrees. You cannot do this flying a phantom 3 in fpv.. therefor you cannot see and avoid.

That will be one of the first things Congress or the FAA goes after.

As a pilot of general aviation aircraft as well as a phantom 3 pilot I have a clearer view of this than most.

I also have a private pilot's license (for 45 years) and if a piloted airplane is flying around my rural area below 400' it is he that is violating the law and endangering himself and the few homes in this area. I don't make a habit of going to far out but this is a 750 acre property (with other residents) and no airplane is going to fly below 400' except maybe an ambulance chopper landing. Even the narco search copters stay above 500' as required by the FAA.

It isn't the rural FPV flyers that the FAA is worried about it's the people flying near airports or a lot higher than 400' like up in the ozone where the big birds fly and also the urban areas where planes may be approaching a nearby airport. Then there are the idiots who are flying off hi-rise balconies but that's another story for another time.

I also have a private pilot's license (for 45 years) and if a piloted airplane is flying around my rural area below 400' it is he that is violating the law and endangering himself and the few homes in this area. I don't make a habit of going to far out but this is a 750 acre property (with other residents) and no airplane is going to fly below 400' except maybe an ambulance chopper landing. Even the narco search copters stay above 500' as required by the FAA.

It isn't the rural FPV flyers that the FAA is worried about it's the people flying near airports or a lot higher than 400' like up in the ozone where the big birds fly and also the urban areas where planes may be approaching a nearby airport. Then there are the idiots who are flying off hi-rise balconies but that's another story for another time.
A few assumptions there. That's about as clear/muddy as the GA difference between 500/1000.

The problem is where do we draw the line? Who is the best decider on populated vs not and congested vs not.

Fwiw, rotor traffic where I live constantly works below 500. They like to practice in fields.

Just like in GA, we cannot assume anything.

@prostreetcamaro, when did Ken release this? I must have missed it. Any issues with the development SDK? I have flown at least 75 miles with the ultimate flight app on the V+ when I had it. But did not realize he had P3 support.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl