Love Taking Stills

Reaction score
I'm loving this thing as a floating tripod! Took this recently. Was super impressed with the still photo I get from the camera!
b0da2a7b779cfa52135a883a6d7bb696.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is really nice !! It will look good framed!

Ha! It looks like one of those super overdone and unrealistic advertising photos(HDR) you see on hotel websites, or tripadvisor.

But yeah good job!

Ha, having used a real helicopter as a tripod on several occasions over the last 18 month doing landscape photography in the outback Kimberley region of Australia, couldn't wait to get proficient with a quad to really be able to "frame up" some killer shots,

Hovering in a real helicopter at $1200/hour doesn't create for relaxed compositional time. Very impressed with the quality of the P3 camera for stills in DNG, but still not quite up to the standard of Canon professional lenses [emoji19] but so looking forward to having the luxury of time (well 15 minutes,)
Sadly still will need a real helicopter to get to many locations.....

Image may be overdone, but fine art photography is about creating feelings, not representing reality........

Very impressed with the quality of the P3 camera for stills in DNG, but still not quite up to the standard of Canon professional lenses [emoji19] but so looking forward to having the luxury of time (well 15 minutes,)
Sadly still will need a real helicopter to get to many locations.....

Image may be overdone, but fine art photography is about creating feelings, not representing reality........

Oh. Right. So then why is a 'professional lens' needed for 'fine art photography' if you can just doctor the heck out of any photo in post?

Oh. Right. So then why is a 'professional lens' needed for 'fine art photography' if you can just doctor the heck out of any photo in post?

Professional lens = larger lens = more light = better shots.

I went from using Canon P&S models for years to a Nikon D3200 DSLR and the results are amazing but even those require editing....just not as much as one taken with a potato. You can make any photo look good, some just take more effort than others which reminds me of a few girls I've known.

Reactions: SENC and ScottyT
Ha...

Well said Philip, and welcome to the party. :D

Professional lens = larger lens = more light = better shots.

I went from using Canon P&S models for years to a Nikon D3200 DSLR and the results are amazing but even those require editing....just not as much as one taken with a potato. You can make any photo look good, some just take more effort than others which reminds me of a few girls I've known.

The lens is not the bottleneck, the sensor is.

By the way, the photo is overdone but very nicely overdone. He only should remove the halo at the horizon, which is very easy in photoshop.

If you simply doctor the heck out of any photo in post, that's all it will look like.
You don't make great pictures by simply turning up the contrast and saturation.
Getting good original images is the first and most important step.

Reactions: acherman
If you simply doctor the heck out of any photo in post, that's what it will look like.
You don't make great pictures by simply turning up the contrast and saturation.
Getting good original images is the first and most important step.

But in reality you weren't happy with how your original photo came out and you want to change it to something you never actually captured in the first place?

The concept that there's one natural and correct way to record an image and any modification in software is changing it to something that was never actually captured in the first place, is over-simplistic and just plain wrong.
There are a hundred ways to record any image, all different and there is no correct or incorrect.
There are a hundred ways to enhance an image too.
Some will probably not be as good as others.
The ultimate test is ... If the resulting image looks good then it is good.
There's also the principle that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Everyone has their own idea of what looks good to them.

Reactions: acherman
Just plain wrong? No it's not. It's been changed, as simple as that...like a Kardashian. The OP has posted this as "a still from the camera" - that is not the still from the camera.

Like I said there are a hundred ways of recording the original image.
Which is the "correct" one?
Even your theoretical original "unchanged" image has been changed.

Like I said there are a hundred ways of recording the original image.
Which is the "correct" one?
Even your theoretical original "unchanged" image has been changed.

I fully agree. A JPG direct out the camera is already highly altered. A DNG much less.

But going back to the "doctoring" discussion. In order to edit a picture nicely you need as much data as possible. The sensor in the first place is responsible for this and to a lesser extend the lens. (Assuming that the photographic technique is adequate.)

And sorry to say, the camera from the P3 is performing very poorly in this respect.
The image direct out of the camera, DNG or JPG, has already a harsh technical quality, so if you have to make heavy edits the overal quality is degrading.

A DSLR or a decent compact camera provides much more color data and brightness data than the P3 camera, that means your editing possibilities are far greater while keeping up a good image quality.

The flying qualities of this bird are much higher than its photographing qualities.
I wish I could connect an other camera to my P3 but I'm still very happy with this bird.

Last edited:
Just plain wrong? No it's not. It's been changed, as simple as that...like a Kardashian. The OP has posted this as "a still from the camera" - that is not the still from the camera.

LOL....Do you think that when you point and shoot with a compact camera that the image hasn't "been changed" The camera will perform many adjustments before it saves it as a JPEG. The difference with shooting in RAW is that you get to make the changes yourself in post.

Photography is an art form and as already mentioned above there is definitely no right or wrong way to change or present an image.

If you were the customer and had commissioned the OP to take some natural subtle photographs of a sunset then you would have every reason to say its "just plain wrong". Of course you have every right to an opinion and maybe you just don't like that sort of look, but if that is the look the OP wanted to achieve then obviously it is "just plain right"

LOL....Do you think that when you point and shoot with a compact camera that the image hasn't "been changed" The camera will perform many adjustments before it saves it as a JPEG. The difference with shooting in RAW is that you get to make the changes yourself in post.

Photography is an art form and as already mentioned above there is definitely no right or wrong way to change or present an image.

If you were the customer and had commissioned the OP to take some natural subtle photographs of a sunset then you would have every reason to say its "just plain wrong". Of course you have every right to an opinion and maybe you just don't like that sort of look, but if that is the look the OP wanted to achieve then obviously it is "just plain right"

Righto. Your interpretation of art is still not the original still from the camera. That is misleading.
"The P3's camera did that?" Actually,no, it's been doctored.
Humour me - post the actual still.

p.s. LOL

Righto. Your interpretation of art is still not the original still from the camera. That is misleading.
"The P3's camera did that?" Actually,no, it's been doctored.
Humour me - post the actual still.

p.s. LOL

Maybe I am missing something but from what I have read the OP doesn't make any claims that this picture is straight out of the P3 and "unaltered" as you put it and as I mentioned above if it was a JPEG the P3 would have already "altered" the image before saving.

his only comment is "Was super impressed with the still photo I get from the camera!" I don't understand what you think is misleading the image was captured with the camera on the P3...... Fact!! .......He loves the stills from the P3......Fact!!......... He's adjusted the image to achieve that certain look and posted it because he think it looks good....Fact!!.

P.S... lol.

Reactions: SouthernPhantom

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik