Lots of discussion around ESC, GPS Connection, Engines, etc.

Reaction score
I've owned my Phantom 2 Vision+ 3.0 for a week or so. No issues so far and I hope it stays that way.

I have seen a lot of discussion about fault ESCs, issues with engines and a loose GPS connector. Much of the info on how to fix these items is scattered around in multiple threads. In a perfect world I would make the necessary adjustments to fix these items. On the other hand I am concerned about potentially voiding my warranty. I'm thinking a lot of others are in the same situation.

I am very meticulous about my pre-flight checklist and never allowing a tip over. I always hand catch my Phantom for landing. Without tip overs or crashes, what is the likelihood that I will encounter a dreaded "flyaway" or "drop from the sky" related to one of these issues mentioned in bold above within the next 2 years? Are there any changes I can make without voiding my warranty?

Re: Lots of discussion around ESC, GPS Connection, Engines,

razzle said:
I've owned my Phantom 2 Vision+ 3.0 for a week or so. No issues so far and I hope it stays that way.

I have seen a lot of discussion about fault ESCs, issues with engines and a loose GPS connector. Much of the info on how to fix these items is scattered around in multiple threads. In a perfect world I would make the necessary adjustments to fix these items. On the other hand I am concerned about potentially voiding my warranty. I'm thinking a lot of others are in the same situation.

I am very meticulous about my pre-flight checklist and never allowing a tip over. I always hand catch my Phantom for landing. Without tip overs or crashes, what is the likelihood that I will encounter a dreaded "flyaway" or "drop from the sky" related to one of these issues mentioned in bold above within the next 2 years? Are there any changes I can make without voiding my warranty?

Low. Sorry can't give you any better answer than that. DJI has said that removing your top cover will not void your warranty. All I would do in your shoes is check to make sure you have V2.1 of the ESCs.

Parts will fail.
Most often it results in a crash or other uncontrolled operation.
This quad has no margin or tolerance of error or failure.

Manual mode allows you to bypass the IMU, or attitude controls, but the loss of the battery, motor, ESC, or Flight Controller will result in unsustainable and uncontrolled flight.

There's no real PM you can do either except keeping it free of dirt and other foreign material and possibly motor lubrication and battery contact cleaning.

Avoid collisions and physical shocks. Inspect your equipment frequently and enjoy.

I have it on email (writing) from the local distributor that opening the shell will N-O-T void your warranty.
Modifying anything, however, almost certainly will !
Unless...you can remove all traces of the modification prior to returning the unit for warranty repair.
ie remove the gps plug cable tie end mod - undetectable
Replacing motor wires - 100% detectable !!

razzle said:

I completely understand where you are coming from. But this is a hobby with risks. There are many components in these drones being shaken around and pushed to thermal and power limits. There is no redundancy built-in and most of the parts run at their limits with little in the way of "over engineering".... This is of course to keep costs down. For example, a hex-copter can fly on 5 engines if it is programmed to compensate. But a quad-copter can not run on 3.....it will fall. As a result, no matter how careful you are, there is a risk that something goes wrong and in the worst case, with devastating effects. It is a lot of money to spend for many people, but it is important to recognise and understand that at some point you may lose all or part of that investment due to an accident or failure. Unfortunately in the case of a crash it is not always possible to prove whether the fault was yours or a manufacturing defect. This is what often leads to a sour taste in the mouth particularly when DJI then say "tough" but have a reconditioned drone for 30% discount....even though you are convinced you are innocent of all blame.

If you can't accept that risk, or the worry will ruin your enjoyment of flying, then this may not be the hobby for you. The Phantom is right at the edge of my risk/enjoyment tolerance.....while I would love an Inspire and could save up for a couple of months to buy one...if I crashed that, I would be truly devastated. Before the age of drones, a number of these companies focused on "kits" for helicopters and planes. I know of people pouring thousands into their new kits and crashing them on their very first flight....

Incidentally, these issues are not specific to DJI and what you find is similar issues of failures, fly-aways for nearly every drone product out there. Parrot has been much better than DJI at replacing lost drones for free without little fighting at all....they are very good that way. BUT their product is buggy and their customer service is slooooooow.

ESC is a problem if you have a V3 or a previous version but upgraded motors to the new 2312 (that come with V3's)
If you have ESC 2.0 you will probs have a crash eventually, sooner than later....
You need ESC 2.1, that is the fix as confirmed by DJI... Problem is.... v3 owners don't know what ESC they have... the ESC should say the version like "2.0" or "2.1" but most
say nothing.... my non v3 didn't say anything either.... apparantly if the capacitor on the ESC has a yellow mark that means 2.1.... but not 100% sure about that.
4.x ESC are cheap, so worth buying them anyways just to check.

The GPS cable thing.... well... its a choice really.... I don't think its a must... I've taken my quad apart literally 50 times and I undo plug each time... never had an issue..
As someone pointed out. but hey.. its very easy to jam a bit of paper into the connector to hold it in place... I have chosen to ignore doing anything.. my connector is fine..

BTW hand landing.... eeeeeh... personal choice really... but unless your in huge gusts no reason not to land it... who knows might be a gust one day when you hand catch and it cuts you, bad.... learn to land.. its not hard :) I don't mean any offence by this post.. its just no reason to hand catch unless huggggeee costs... but its upto you, and if that makes you happy keep doing it my friend :)

I have owned a phantom vision 2+ for about 5 months now. I too hand catch the thing all the time,the first 3 times I flown it and landed,it fell over twice. ;)

I have done the GPS mod by replacing the GPS antenna which helped me get more satellites, Since the first day it was not holding on to the satellites well.. now it works flawlessly. :mrgreen:

but like its been said there is a risk a $1500.00 dollar risk..... but that makes it more intriguing !! :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl