Lost video signal - Didn't gain back even at 3ft away...Why?

Reaction score
Took my P2V+ out for its third flight today, made sure to go through all of the checklist and everything was in good order. I wanted to test RTH before flying off so I turned the RC off and the P2V+ climbed to its set altitude and then started descending right at the home point. I took over control by flicking the switch from S1 into S2 and continued on with my flight. I thought all was well up until I lost video signal at about 400ft lateral distance. Since I was flying via LOS I was still able to control the P2V+ effectively and flew it closer to myself in order to regain video signal. This did not happen, instead the video was just "stuck" at the point when it was lost and even at 3ft away the signal did not return.

Not only that, but the video file, despite being 2gb in size, is corrupted (process running in the background to fix this as I post this). Why did this happen? How come I didn't regain video feed even when the P2V+ was only a few feet away?

In the app the option "When connection breaks - Stop Recording" was not selected so what led to the corruption? I always use the DJI app to format the card like it is recommended in the manual. So I am perplexed by this along with the video signal not returning.

Any input?

Re: Lost video signal - Didn't gain back even at 3ft away...

Possibly turned off the phantom before it had completed and finalised the file?
It can take at least a minute to do this.
(can often be completed later by putting card in again and turning it on for a minute)

Were you flying from near home - the phone might have connected to home wifi - and won't reconnect to the phantom wifi without being forced.
If far enough away from an alternative known network it will reconnect when the phantom comes back. Usually...

Is it an android phone ?

As the phantom doesn't have Internet connection some phones will drop the connection and search for a better wifi signal, there is an option in wifi advanced settings to stop this happening.

Be sue to have the wifi extender fully charged, and have the face if it posted at the quad during flight. Also have the "stick" antenna in the vertical position, not horizontal. Don't know if this might have been your problem (suspect the outside wifi might be a more likely cause if you were close to one), but these things seem to be very touchy on Juliette III (J-1 was a Cessna 182 I leased out and they crashed it outside of Phoenix, J-2 was my first quad who flew away on it's second day of flight).

Good Luck

WW

4wd said:
Possibly turned off the phantom before it had completed and finalised the file?
It can take at least a minute to do this.
(can often be completed later by putting card in again and turning it on for a minute)

Were you flying from near home - the phone might have connected to home wifi - and won't reconnect to the phantom wifi without being forced.
If far enough away from an alternative known network it will reconnect when the phantom comes back. Usually...

I think that is what led to the file corruption. I turned the phantom off too soon and the saving process didn't complete. User error :( I blame myself, though now I know it wasn't the phantom that eff'd up.

As for the video connection not coming back, if the connection between the phantom and range extender breaks, it also breaks off the wifi connection between the range extender AND the phone? If so, it would be plausible that it connected to my home network as I was just outside of my house. If not, then something else happened that I can't explain. Good thing I kept LOS otherwise the phantom would definitely have been lost.

Thank you for all of the replies!

It did it again!! What the hell is going on with this thing?

I made sure to give it MINUTES to finish saving yet, as soon as I transferred it (straight from the phantom) to the computer, the file showed as corrupted.

You could have a bad mini-SD card. Format it clean from the Vision app and see if that works...

FunkyPhantom said:

I made sure to give it MINUTES to finish saving yet, as soon as I transferred it (straight from the phantom) to the computer, the file showed as corrupted.

Are you turning off the Phantom before removing the card ?

Also try getting a mini SD card adaptor and card reader and plug the SD card into your computer to see if its getting messed up when your transferring it

RichWest said:
You could have a bad mini-SD card. Format it clean from the Vision app and see if that works...

I do that every time before a flight as that was recommended in the manual. However, it corrupts every other flight without fail.

crash1sttime said:
FunkyPhantom said:

Are you turning off the Phantom before removing the card ?

Also try getting a mini SD card adaptor and card reader and plug the SD card into your computer to see if its getting messed up when your transferring it

I'm not even removing it from the Phantom. I'm plugging the USB straight into the camera plate (in the back) and it still showed up as corrupted. This is infuriating as I had gotten some pretty decent footage for this flight.

Stop recording , just before landing, to avoid shutting off power while camera is still recording and corrupting file.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj