Lost Video Files on SD card

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently got back from safari and shared a 64 GB sd card with the go pro as well as the P3P.

Some of the files (including some superb footage of hippos and herding wilderbeast!) are available for viewing via the ipad and app (when everything is turned on), but are not available (cant be found) when i put the SD card into my laptop.

Does anyone know where the hell they might be on the SD card, or why they dont come up on the SD card when its inserted into PC?

Many thanks in advance, and lets hope the footage can be retrieved.

Paul

I have heard of people putting card back into gopro and plugging into computer using the USB cable but I haven't experienced that. If that doesn't work and you are 100% sure you recorded the video or images you can use recovery software. I have used Easus (I think that's what it's called). Unlimited usage and price was reasonable.

Which can't you get the data from... the GoPro or the Phantom?

Reactions: dirkclod
Are all the missing files from one source, i.e. gopro or Phantom ?
Did you swap the card backwards and forwards between the two, or did you take a load of gopro first and then put the card in the Phantom (or vice versa)?
I'm wondering if the files you can see when everything is switched on are what have been cached in the Phantom shots on the app. If you took Phantom shots first and then switched to gopro maybe the gopro re-formatted the card and wiped the Phantom shots?

Last edited:
Are all the missing files from one source, i.e. gopro or Phantom ?
Did you swap the card backwards and forwards between the two, or did you take a load of gopro first and then put the card in the Phantom (or vice versa)?
I'm wondering if the files you can see when everything is switched on are what have been cached in the Phantom shots on the app. If you took Phantom shots first and then switched to gopro maybe the gopro re-formatted the card and wiped the Phantom shots?

I cant get the files from just 3 or 4 clips from the phantom - they should be on the SD card...

I was flicking between the Go Pro and the phantom with the same SD card yes...

The strange thing is that the clips are all on the ipad when i load everything up. However, when editting them on the ipad and transferring from ipad to laptop (rather than my usual SD card way) they are not HD and look crappy.

Herding up wilderbeast in the dark depths of Africa deserves to be seen god dammit haha!!

If anyone knows of a free solution please let me know, ive no idea why these three clips but all the others aren't there.

The ones on your iPad and not the card are crappy cached versions. I'm not sure of the file naming convention (or default folder) that GoPro uses, but is it possible the GoPro overwrote the ones from the P3? Just a thought. In any case, there are plenty of free sd file recovery utilities on the interwebs. If the files were deleted somehow, they should be fairly simple to recover. Good luck and report back.

The ones on your iPad and not the card are crappy cached versions. I'm not sure of the file naming convention (or default folder) that GoPro uses, but is it possible the GoPro overwrote the ones from the P3? Just a thought. In any case, there are plenty of free sd file recovery utilities on the interwebs. If the files were deleted somehow, they should be fairly simple to recover. Good luck and report back.

Hi bbfpv,

Its all very very strange.

To have them on the ipad means that the they have been registered, ie I definitely recorded them.

I would be shocked if GoPro footage over-rode the files. Equally, the SD seems in perfect working order.

I have tried using www.recovering-deleted-files.net but the software doesnt recognise the SD card as an external device and doen't show up.

I was flicking between the Go Pro and the phantom with the same SD card ...

The strange thing is that the clips are all on the ipad when i load everything up. However, when editting them on the ipad and transferring from ipad to laptop (rather than my usual SD card way) they are not HD and look crappy.

To have them on the ipad means that the they have been registered, ie I definitely recorded them.

I would be shocked if GoPro footage over-wrote the files. Equally, the SD seems in perfect working order.
It's not as strange as you think.
While you are shooting video and recording it on the card, the app is making its own 720p cached copy.
But if you stop the P3 before you switch off recording, the file on the SD card isn't closed properly.
You can fix this if you put the card back in and power cycle your Phantom.
If a file is closed properly, it isn't going to be hidden and will be in plain sight.
Unfortunately by continuing to use the card you can record over any files that were not closed off properly.

It's not as strange as you think.
While you are shooting video and recording it on the card, the app is making its own 720p cached copy.
But if you stop the P3 before you switch off recording, the file on the SD card isn't closed properly.
You can fix this if you put the card back in and power cycle your Phantom.
If a file is closed properly, it isn't going to be hidden and will be in plain sight.
Unfortunately by continuing to use the card you can record over any files that were not closed off properly.

But I didnt turn off the phantom whilst it was still recording, nor on the GoPro - each time was start and stop recording before power off...

Hi bbfpv,

I would be shocked if GoPro footage over-rode the files. Equally, the SD seems in perfect working order.

I have tried using www.recovering-deleted-files.net but the software doesnt recognise the SD card as an external device and doen't show up.
Find a piece of software that installs on your computer. Some possibilities here: How to recover deleted photos from your SD card | ZDNet

Not an answer to your problem, but I wondered where you went on safari.......also, did you put the Phantom in hold luggage, or carry on?.........I'm interested because I'm taking my P3 to Zambia soon and am not sure how best to transport it.

Not an answer to your problem, but I wondered where you went on safari.......also, did you put the Phantom in hold luggage, or carry on?.........I'm interested because I'm taking my P3 to Zambia soon and am not sure how best to transport it.

Hand luggage (i have one of the official phantom rucksacks) with batteries with no juice and you will be fine. I went to Tanzania and live in Dubai. I have taken my drone all over the place including Beirut (Lebanon), UK, France, and Africa!

Thanks for the reply.......do you mean zero for the batteries, or down to around 20%?...I've heard some people say you've got to have enough charge in it to show that it's a battery -(and not some kind of bomb!)

Hope you managed to recover your files!

Thanks for the reply.......do you mean zero for the batteries, or down to around 20%?...I've heard some people say you've got to have enough charge in it to show that it's a battery -(and not some kind of bomb!)
I've heard that ..... is a good intro to something of doubtful reliability.
Go to a trustworthy source for that sort of info.
Like here: www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/lithium_battery.pdf
There's no mention of running the batteries down

I've heard that ..... is a good intro to something of doubtful reliability.
Go to a trustworthy source for that sort of info.
Like here: www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/lithium_battery.pdf
There's no mention of running the batteries down
Trouble is, "trustworthy sources" give varying info!.......The enclosed leaflet that comes with DJI batteries says they should be completely discharged for airline travel.

Trouble is, "trustworthy sources" give varying info!.......The enclosed leaflet that comes with DJI batteries says they should be completely discharged for airline travel.
DJI might say that - and it might make for the safest option .. BUT No airline (that I've noticed) or the IATA or FAA make any mention of it.

And when you start a thread with .. "I've heard that ....." more often than not what's been heard is quite inaccurate.

Reactions: Pharm
I took my P3 this summer for vacation and best is to contact the airline in advance to get their interpretation of IATA rules regarding lipo battery. Take a hardcopy of communication with them during your travel.
You will have to deal at first with the security guy that will check your hand-luggage. So better to have not your battery fully discharged to show it can work (like it is for laptop). Airline will be involved only if the security guy don't allow you to go with them and you complain.
Always use fire safety bag for lipo batteries and some airlines ask you to protect the contacts of the lipo. This is not really needed for our batteries as there is normally no voltage on the contacts, but better to show you do your best to avoid issues.

GoPro files on the camera memory chip are difficult to recover as they are always fragmented when recorded. www.recovergopro.com is a dedicated program for such an problem.

My concern is that one program did not detect the memory chip.

The comment about 'fuzzy' sounds as if this is the .LRV file (low resolution) rather than the .MP4, high resolution.

GoPro files on the camera memory chip are difficult to recover as they are always fragmented when recorded. www.recovergopro.com is a dedicated program for such an problem.

My concern is that one program did not detect the memory chip.

The comment about 'fuzzy' sounds as if this is the .LRV file (low resolution) rather than the .MP4, high resolution.
What do you mean by "difficult to recover"? It is no different than moving any other file around. Besides most photo programs will automatically download them. I have never had a problem getting pics for a Gopro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan