Lost signal / returning home - worked perfectly

Reaction score
So I know this is probably old hat for most of you guys but not for me. I bought a Vision + the other day and totaled it on my first flight, so I had to get another one. Anyway I was flying the new one beyond line of sight at about 300 feet high and over 1800 feet away when I got a popup that said connection was lost. :shock: After I had 3 heart attacks the screen said returning home, so I had 9 more heart attacks waiting and then it finally appeared and I regained control. Worked perfectly. :D

Now I just need to figure out how to work the IOC controls, I tried the app, but I found no way to turn it on and the S1 and S2 switches do nothing.

Cheers,
Walt

I mean this in this nicest way possible, please watch some videos and read some posts on what to do.
You need to connect the Phantom to a computer with the DJI Assistant software in order to switch to NAZA mode and enable IOC and the S1 switch functions.
Check out my little post:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17055

Good luck.

I am not trying to do anything too fancy, I just want to fly it in GPS mode but I want to use the course lock feature and the return to home. Not trying to do flips or anything.

I did hook up the drone and the remote to my computer and I did the upgrade but it wont let me change any settings.

I will check out that post to see if I can figure it out.

Even in the mode with both switches up if I switch it down to ATTi mode there is no change. I don't think the GPS is working as the wind will push it around no matter where the switches are. I though maybe I did not do the compass calibration correctly. Anyway I just need to figure this one out fast so I can get an S1000

The first one was totaled not from my own fault, just because a prop flew off for no reason.

walt said:
So I know this is probably old hat for most of you guys but not for me. I bought a Vision + the other day and totaled it on my first flight, so I had to get another one. Anyway I was flying the new one beyond line of sight at about 300 feet high and over 1800 feet away when I got a popup that said connection was lost. :shock: After I had 3 heart attacks the screen said returning home, so I had 9 more heart attacks waiting and then it finally appeared and I regained control. Worked perfectly. :D

Now I just need to figure out how to work the IOC controls, I tried the app, but I found no way to turn it on and the S1 and S2 switches do nothing.

Cheers,
Walt

Hi Walt,
I have respect for my elders etc, And I don't want to sound cynical. And everyone (I think) on this forum are here to help...
BUT why does everyone fly these units beyond LOS when they haven't figured how IOC works.
I fear RTH/Failsafe and I would NEVER rely on it unless a solar storm occurred or my Transmitter brain farted.

So many things can go wrong with the RTH Failsafe and I just want to reiterate to only use it as the last option.
RTH/Failsafe pops the phantom up 20m and straight to home position. This means you can't see obstacles above like when you are under bridge or a spaning tree; or obstacles along the flight path home like a chimney stack etc.
**Use IOC lock HOME and pull the stick back.
**Or use the directional reference on the FPV and point the arrow back to home pos and push fwd.

In general (and I mean everyone with a phantom or quad or RC),
I work around machines with failsafes and they are there for a reason. The failsafes are tested once in a while to check If they are working. Eg, I would use a stick instead of my finger to test if the laserguides to the guillotine was in order. As for flyers, I would fly 20m up and 20m away and trigger the RTH/Failsafe. I wouldn't fly it out of LOS and test it.

I think I know the problem.
Vision Plus (obviously)
phantom-2-vision-plus-1.jpg

F550
f550.bmp

They are roughly the in price and both are RTF (depending on seller and mods).
They both offer the same platform.
Now if they handed me the keys to the F550, I would definitely read the manual thrice over and wouldn't fly it out of sight until I grew hairs on my chest that reached to my balls.

The stigma is painted that the phantom is just a "toy" - and according to my income, an expensive toy.
But placing cost aside, I fear the knee jerk reaction the negativity we are already getting. Last thing I want is a slow motion OJ Simpson style media report of a "1.5 kg RC toy lawnmower" (hate the word drone) losing control and hitting something animate.

Sorry about the rant and the opinions.

Mako, I wasn't testing the return to home feature. I had the radar on and I was flying it way over some trees to try to get a shot. The radar showed that I was not near the red circle so I was surprised because I thought I could go at least 500 more feet before I reached the limit. As for the IOC features, I cannot use them and see no way to enable them, which is what I want to do.

And I did read all the manuals and watch all the videos and I know what all those features are supposed to do, but nowhere can I find any way to turn them on.

walt said:
Mako, I wasn't testing the return to home feature. I had the radar on and I was flying it way over some trees to try to get a shot. The radar showed that I was not near the red circle so I was surprised because I thought I could go at least 500 more feet before I reached the limit. As for the IOC features, I cannot use them and see no way to enable them, which is what I want to do.

I said "In general" therefore I wasn't stating that you were testing :) . Maybe it sounded wrong. I just want to raise the point about testing.

Also, you need to do Pythagoras to figure actual transmitter distance. 100 feet above you is closer than 100 feet high and 100 feet away. Makes sense? So that 500 feet more was probably already reached.

walt said:
And I did read all the manuals and watch all the videos and I know what all those features are supposed to do, but nowhere can I find any way to turn them on.

If you read the manuals (doubtful) then you either didn't pay attention or you lack fundamental reading comprehension skills. It might be prudent (for public safety) for you to return your toy since you have demonstrated your inability to understand its basic functions.

Page 9, 15, 26

http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... 1.3_en.pdf

Nice post Shartzilla,

I am glad you think you have some clue of my reading comprehension skills and feel the need to share your thoughts.

I am on here to try to learn, not to read crap like that.

walt said:
Nice post Shartzilla,

I am glad you think you have some clue of my reading comprehension skills and feel the need to share your thoughts.

If you are truly here to learn then RTFM before you complain that it doesn't have the information that you are looking for.

You'll look like less of an idiot. Maybe.

Shartzilla said:
walt said:
Nice post Shartzilla,

If you are truly here to learn then RTFM before you complain that it doesn't have the information that you are looking for.

You'll look like less of an idiot. Maybe.

this is the new forum troll.. welcome! give a round of applause to shartzilla!

Man-clapping.gif

Mako79 said:
I fear RTH/Failsafe and I would NEVER rely on it unless a solar storm occurred or my Transmitter brain farted.

HI Mako79,

Would you still have enough GPS satellite lock for the RTH to work during a solar storm? I have to imagine the K-index is going to spike up above 4. :lol:

walt said:
So I know this is probably old hat for most of you guys but not for me. I bought a Vision + the other day and totaled it on my first flight, so I had to get another one.

Clearly, you've got more money then time on your hand. :)

walt said:
Anyway I was flying the new one beyond line of sight at about 300 feet high and over 1800 feet away when I got a popup that said connection was lost. :shock:

http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/spec

Referencing the P2V+ spec, the "Remote Controller" in FCC mode has an expected range of 800 m or 2600 feet.

So while you are not at the 2600 ft edge, you have gone a fair way out. Things like interference and etc starts to have greater impact. When I flew out at your distance, if people stops in front of me (ie. between my controller and the quad-copter), I lose signal. It's possible that you were moving toward EM interference.

walt said:
After I had 3 heart attacks the screen said returning home, so I had 9 more heart attacks waiting and then it finally appeared and I regained control. Worked perfectly. :D

If it takes you 5 minutes to fly out there, it'll likely take it 5 minutes to RTH provided the GPS Satellite remain true and that you set your "Home" property.

walt said:

I think someone posted this link earlier:

http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza ... -2-vision/

Good luck..

Mako79 said:
So many things can go wrong with the RTH Failsafe and I just want to reiterate to only use it as the last option.
RTH/Failsafe pops the phantom up 20m and straight to home position. This means you can't see obstacles above like when you are under bridge or a spaning tree; or obstacles along the flight path home like a chimney stack etc.

**Or use the directional reference on the FPV and point the arrow back to home pos and push fwd.

Hi Mako79,

OP stated he was at 300 ft, so the P2V+ should have return to home at 300 ft attitude. If Walt did not encounter obstacle on the way out, then I wouldn't expect him to experience one coming back at that height.

IOC Home Lock seems to fly back at a much slower speed especially if the P2V+ front is not pointed toward you. He could potentially run out of battery before reaching "home".

Using directional reference on the FPV and point the arrow is a good idea.

I've often contemplate RTH feature vs. Groundstation / Waypoint flying. It seems to me if one can not trust RTH from a technical standpoint then by extension you can't trust Groundstation or Waypoint flying. Isn't RTH just a bare bone 1 way-point only "Groundstation" or "Way-point flying" feature?

walt said:

Perhaps you were not paying close attention?

http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... 1.3_en.pdf

Under section "2 Using Assistant Software" (page 68).

Please reference Figure 103. Look to upper right hand corner.

Please also reference Important Point (the yellow triangle exclamation mark) 1 and 2 in the box below Figure 103.

Hope that helps you locate it.

If you DO switch over to NAZA mode, you'll want to check this NAZA manual out:

http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .22_en.pdf

yawnalot29 said:
Mako79 said:

OP stated he was at 300 ft, so the P2V+ should have return to home at 300 ft attitude. If Walt did not encounter obstacle on the way out, then I wouldn't expect him to experience one coming back at that height.

True in the OP's predicament.
However, if it was a lower altitude (I don't anyone who could risk this) it can happen. RTH triggered and straight up into some branches.
Also, obstacles on the way out can be different on the way in. I can't find the youtube footage where he was following a river and it went RTH and unfortunately right into a chimney stack. You need to remember, RTH does NOT go back the same way you came in (unless you flew it straight out). It takes the shortest distant to home.

Mako79 said:
True in the OP's predicament.
However, if it was a lower altitude (I don't anyone who could risk this) it can happen. RTH triggered and straight up into some branches.
Also, obstacles on the way out can be different on the way in. I can't find the youtube footage where he was following a river and it went RTH and unfortunately right into a chimney stack. You need to remember, RTH does NOT go back the same way you came in (unless you flew it straight out). It takes the shortest distant to home.

And also not to do RTH when launching from a boat. Especially when the boat has drifted. :)

walt said:
I did hook up the drone and the remote to my computer and I did the upgrade but it wont let me change any settings.

Even in the mode with both switches up if I switch it down to ATTi mode there is no change.

Walt, how to switch to Naza mode to enable the features on the S1/2 switches here:
http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza ... -2-vision/

Make sure you have selected Failsafe for the S1 down switch; which triggers the Return To Home mode. The default is Manual, which removes all the limits of the flight system which is not a good idea for beginners.

-Dave

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj