Lost Signal, P3S Hovered Instead of RTH

Reaction score
I was flying in a park and about 350 feet up and 1200 feet away I suddenly lost 100% connection with the drone. The app just showed disconnected. After not reconnecting right away I decided I would wait for it to return to home. After about a minute and not hearing the drone get closer I started to freak out. I walked maybe 50 feet closer and then suddenly was reconnected with the drone with a very strong signal. I activated RTH and everything seemed fine from there. When looking at the replay footage I have about 2 minutes of still footage with the drone simply hovered instead of going RTH. Anyone have any ideas to why it would not have activated RTH? Thanks in advance!

I was flying in a park and about 350 feet up and 1200 feet away I suddenly lost 100% connection with the drone. The app just showed disconnected. After not reconnecting right away I decided I would wait for it to return to home. After about a minute and not hearing the drone get closer I started to freak out. I walked maybe 50 feet closer and then suddenly was reconnected with the drone with a very strong signal. I activated RTH and everything seemed fine from there. When looking at the replay footage I have about 2 minutes of still footage with the drone simply hovered instead of going RTH. Anyone have any ideas to why it would not have activated RTH? Thanks in advance!

You might have only lost video signal. If you had lost TX signal it should've activated RTH.

Reactions: Spiff
You might have only lost video signal. If you had lost TX signal it should've activated RTH.

Hmmmm I was just thinking that while I was typing out my issue. I guess the only way to activate RTH would be with the S2 switch then. I was freaking out too much to think about it then. So if in the middle of flying your phone crashes, the drone wont RTH unless you use the S2 switch right?

Hmmmm I was just thinking that while I was typing out my issue. I guess the only way to activate RTH would be with the S2 switch then. I was freaking out too much to think about it then. So if in the middle of flying your phone crashes, the drone wont RTH unless you use the S2 switch right?

I keep both of my switches in the up position all the time. When I lose connectivity with the TX and drone RTH activates.

I keep both of my switches in the up position all the time. When I lose connectivity with the TX and drone RTH activates.

Yeah I had both my switches up as well. I mean hitting the S2 switch back and forth several times to initiate RTH. The flight log on my phone doesn't show 2 minutes of hover at all.

In the app you can go to MC settings - Advanced settings - RC signal lost - it should be set to "RETURN TO HOME".

In the app you can go to MC settings - Advanced settings - RC signal lost - it should be set to "RETURN TO HOME".

Yep, its set correctly, I'll just assume it was only a loss of phone connection and the RC still had full connection so the drone doesn't RTH. Does anyone know how the drone acts if you just close the app while in flight?

Does anyone know how the drone acts if you just close the app while in flight?
Closing the app will not break the RC connection. So, it will act as if the RC is still connected (since it is).

Reactions: GodFear17 and Spiff
I believe it would also initiate RTH if your remote is switched off (loses connection). Please correct me if I am wrong. Powering it back on when back in range would reacquire link and give you back RC control.

Most likely you just outran the Wifi FPV video distance like others mentioned. Maybe it hovered only while you did nothing expecting a RTH during video loss.

I thought maybe the video being recorded would stop if phone/video link is lost. Seems like it kept going...wonder what the video would do if say the app crashed. Would it continue to record until app sends it a stop after restarting the app?

I believe it would also initiate RTH if your remote is switched off (loses connection).
Correct. Failsafe RTH is automatically activated when the remote controller signal is lost for more than 3 seconds.

Had a similar issue the other day where the phone and remote had a disagreement. Even though I had no telemetry, I could still use the remote and control the bird. I guess at worst case, eventually the battery will get low and RTH should kick in.

next time that happens and you arent sure if its RTH or hovering, just manually return to home. once you hear the beeping on your remote, you'll know its coming back.

Upload the log file to Healthy Drones?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20