LOST PHAMTON while Flying 1st. time with fat shark

I'm not an expert, but is your phantom a 5.8ghz edition phantom???

Cause if it is..... I can tell you that the FPV fat-shark system your using is also a 5.8ghz system and it will take over the signal of the phantom and send it to wherever it wants to go because your FPV transmitter is pry telling it just random signals and the phantom gets confused and takes off until it runs out of battery life. This happens because your using the same 5.8 ghz frequency and typically FPV systems have a stronger signal then the controller and phantom receiver.

Hi Jiffer, Interesting. That's the reason why it went haywire!
Yes, I think phantom 1 is 5.8 ghz.
Will it then just fly with the wind till battery dies or will go home to last position I calibrate it,
When I turn off the remote?
I was flying GPS mode.

It's still missing.

Really sorry to hear about the lost Phantom. You got lucky the first time.

historymaker06 said:
Hi Jiffer, Interesting. That's the reason why it went haywire!
Yes, I think phantom 1 is 5.8 ghz.
Will it then just fly with the wind till battery dies or will go home to last position I calibrate it,
When I turn off the remote?
I was flying GPS mode.

It's still missing.

Phantom 1 and 2 is 2.4Ghz. Only Phantom Vision and Phantom FC-40 are 5.8ghz.

Re: Video

at 0:47 : Take off, the LED was blinking ORANGE. Did you knowingly used ATTI mode?

at 3:07 : you said the wind was pushing north east, but the phantom seems to be flying fast and leaning in the direction of the wind. Also, the mic of the camera did not pick up any wind noise at all.

at 3:40 : you turned your body around (away from the phantom), is that so you can orient your control better by facing the same way as the phantom? (orientation issues)

The CAA accident investigation report would read as follows.

The craft was a Phantom version 1 fitted with a Zenmuse camera system. From ground video evidence captured of the flight and post incident interviews with the pilot in command the following conclusions as to the cause of the accident can now be confirmed.

1.The aircraft crashed due to pilot error.
2.The pilot failed to ensure GPS home lock had been set before takeoff.
3.The pilot failed to ensure GPS mode was active before takeoff.
4.The pilot failed to ensure all controls were operative after take off and before commencing flight.
5.The pilot failed to ensure a GPS controlled hover was possible after take off and before commencing flight.
6.The pilot began to experience unexpected control difficulties and failed to land immediately to investigate the cause.
7.The pilot allowed the aircraft to climb and become subject to increased wind drift at higher altitude.
8.The pilot eventually lost orientation and then visual line of sight of the phantom resulting in an uncontrolled crash.

Recommendations for improved safety.

The Accident Investigation Branch recommends the following actions to all Phantom pilots.

1. Ensure all take off and landings are flown in GPS mode.
2. Ensure effective control by tilting in each direction and rotating in each direction before commencing flight.
3. Ensure GPS hover is possible.
4. Ensure IOC Home Lock is available should you lose visual contact.
5. Engage IOC Home Lock and bring the Phantom back to you before visual sight is lost.
6. If wind drift is experienced reduce altitude and use the shelter provided by natural barriers in order to land.
7. If unexpected flight conditions arise, land immediately and investigate.

If 1- 7 are followed other pilots will be unlikely to experience a similar incident.

End of Crash Report.

Sorry but I couldn't resist this, its just my black sense of humour. I am glad you got it back. ;)

Hehe shrimp =P

After finding that the Phantom took off and flew in ATTI mode the whole time, then it all made sense to me. Flying that high in ATTI, if you don't counter the wind accurately and quickly, for sure the craft will slide around rapidly... any mistakes in correction will exacerbate the drift and if that keeps up then the pilot may experience panic and are prone to commit even more mistakes.

Agreed with your analysis, would like to add: Pilot should refamiliarize themselves with craft's operation manual.

historymaker06 said:
@ spanktimonious i have student insurance coverage. Deducible $25.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZE6vXzSfSVA

When you said you had student insurance, I thought you were going to be some 18 year old kid trying to scam the insurance for a new phantom. Had no idea you were a full grown woman until I watched your video.

I think you may want to spend a little time reading the manual from cover to cover on whatever new one you get. You are doing some correct things but also some incorrect things and you may benefit from whats written in the manual.

Why are you all commenting on the video?
I just post it to show that I lost it once and I got it back.

I lost it now again while flying FPV and it didn't come back.
I am trying to understand why my phantom went
Haywire while fying FPV and flew away.
It's been 12 days since its gone missing.

historymaker06 said:
I am trying to understand why my phantom went
Haywire while fying FPV and flew away.

That's what everyone is trying to help you with, it looks like you weren't aware of the flight mode you were in at the time, which could easily lead to the loss you described and showed.

Why can't you work this one out from reading the replies?

In the video where you lost it the first time you didn't do the things I pointed out in my reply that would have stopped it drifting away.

In your first post asking why you lost it again in the park, its sounds from your description that you repeated the mistakes in your first film. Its drifting away because your letting it drift away. It sounds like your flying in ATTI mode rather than GPS mode.

historymaker06 said:
A year. I got it last year at NAB in Las Vegas.
I am a very good and skillful pilot.
It looks like I need to get a new one my phantom didn't show up yet.

Be careful of overconfidence too.. you can get into situations outside of your skill\comfort level that you can't manage.. and you may overlook small yet important items during your preparations.

Even if you can't recover the last Phantom, I think you should look into the tips and other tidbits mentioned in this thread to avoid future griefs.

My Phantom flew away 3 weeks ago while flying FPV in Pasadena. It's still missing.
Thank you everyone on this tread that command and tried to help me.

As a tribute to my loss i have produced this Aerial Documentary short - featuring the city that i love, live and treasure.
Shot with Phantom 1, Gimbal and GoPro Hero 3 black.

Enjoy. ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEpzqln ... e=youtu.be

Nice video History Maker :geek:
Do you fly in LA? Know other pilots. I want to get a package from DSLRPros but I want to meet a pilot first.

Great film!
you certainly covered a lot of landmarks!! (very daring to do Hollywood Blvd and the Chinese Theater!)
and really well done considering you did it without FPV!

sorry for your loss, I had something similar happen to me just a few weeks ago,. so I've now bought a gps tracker from tagg.com in hopes of never losing another quad.

If yours had your contact info on it (as did mine), one can assume that it's either on a rooftop, up in a tree.. or someone snagged it :evil:

Sorry, but the desert loss kind of made me laugh. Turn it on and FLY AWAY like an abused animal running from home.

Gizmo3000 said:
I've now bought a gps tracker from tagg.com in hopes of never losing another quad.
How's that working for you? Is that one of the rechargeable trackers? Do you know its weight? I want to get one that charges off the Phantom's battery, but keeps tracking even if the Phantom's battery is tapped.
The lowest weight on a tracker I've seen so far is 3.8 oz, but I'm sure there are lighter ones.

DattaGroover said:
Gizmo3000 said:
I've now bought a gps tracker from tagg.com in hopes of never losing another quad.
How's that working for you? Is that one of the rechargeable trackers? Do you know its weight? I want to get one that charges off the Phantom's battery, but keeps tracking even if the Phantom's battery is tapped.
The lowest weight on a tracker I've seen so far is 3.8 oz, but I'm sure there are lighter ones.
Hmmm?

DattaGroover said:
Gizmo3000 said:

So far it seems to work ok. (tho I've yet to have another flyaway to test it out, knock on wood)
but the one time I went 30 miles away, I tried checking it's location online and it seemed to work fine in locating.

The one I went with (tho admittedly I didn't do too much research, I just went off a few other guys recommendations),
was the pet track from tagg.com
it weighs only 32g. probably a couple grams more when using the attachments. (which I use to attach to my Phantom).

Tho it does not charge from the Phantom and cannot be configured to charge off a quad,. instead it charges off a base-station at home. - but only really requires charging once every few weeks (depending on how often it's taken outside of home range).
which I can live with.

here's a pic of it attached to my Phantom leg.
it's about $7 a month, but after watching $1500 of mine fly away, I'm not anxious to have that happen again. ever

Attachments

• tracker.jpg
    tracker.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 370
Gizmo3000 said:
DattaGroover said:
Gizmo3000 said:

So far it seems to work ok. (tho I've yet to have another flyaway to test it out, knock on wood)
but the one time I went 30 miles away, I tried checking it's location online and it seemed to work fine in locating.

The one I went with (tho admittedly I didn't do too much research, I just went off a few other guys recommendations),
was the pet track from tagg.com
it weighs only 32g. probably a couple grams more when using the attachments. (which I use to attach to my Phantom).

Tho it does not charge from the Phantom and cannot be configured to charge off a quad,. instead it charges off a base-station at home. - but only really requires charging once every few weeks (depending on how often it's taken outside of home range).
which I can live with.

here's a pic of it attached to my Phantom leg.
it's about $7 a month, but after watching $1500 of mine fly away, I'm not anxious to have that happen again. ever

That's a good deal lighter than the ones I've seen- and $7 / month isn't bad. Like you say, a worthy investment for $12-1500 worth of gear. Do you know if it uses a sim card that is country-specific?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl