Lost P3 pro

I understand the concept. Even tried it several times in open areas with great success. But it never showed up in my backyard. I'm at a loss.

That sounds like a malfunction of some sort. Check out the log on your app and watch the replay.

Check the log and let us know what you see. You may be able to see its "last position" superimposed on the map.

Bummer. What version FW were you using?

Why does that matter? Did the RTH function change? I hope not ... my "safe return" was with the prior FW. I would find it very hard to believe the new FW had anything to do with it, but you never know ...

It's really very simple to just check the log on the app. If it hovered in place for a while it would be readily apparent, as would a flyaway, assuming the data recorded correctly.

Is that a misprint that your RTH was set at 30 feet?
It should always be set higher than anything which may be between you and the bird - that means 80-100 feet high at least...maybe more!

You should be able to find it using your map - it will show exactly where it was.

Also, you mentioned it failed to come back to your yard. I'm not sure of the size of your property or open area/neighborhood but flying missions out of LOS (line of sight) is taking big changes with your bird. People do it - but if you want to keep your bird around longer keeping it in sight is suggested.

Actually this is a pet peeve of mine. "Line of sight" is not the same thing as "visible". You don't have to see something for it to be within LOS, but it has to be in LOS in order to see it. I have lost sight of my copter many times, but it rarely goes out of line of sight.

For me this is difficult due the hilly and forested terrain, but I can fly it out over the Hudson river until I can no longer see it. It is still within LOS. People with better eyesight than mine don't impart that ability onto the copter with respect to better flight performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobmyers
That doesn't make a lot of sense, though. If I'm not mistaken, a lost connection would trigger RTH automatically, and if the settings were adequate, you should have seen it hovering overhead within a couple of minutes. Exactly the same thing happened to me. I lost signal and crapped a brick, and then suddenly, there it was. My RTH is set to 300 feet, as I live in a rather hilly area.

It's also possible when he lost rc connection and it entered RTH mode on its own that when he pressed the RTH button he may have accidentally disabled the RTH. Result would be the Phantom would have stayed in a hover where it was eventually landing in place when it reached 10% battery power.

If it did RTH it would have stayed at his current altitude of 90 feet then flown back in a straight line to where he was.

To find his lost Phantom he should search the last point the Phantom was at. If no luck then look back along the straight line path to the home point. There should be a flight log in the app if the flight which will make that easier. If there were any obstacles in the way over 90 feet his Phantom would have run into it and became either stuck or crash landed to the ground.

Actually this is a pet peeve of mine. "Line of sight" is not the same thing as "visible". You don't have to see something for it to be within LOS, but it has to be in LOS in order to see it. I have lost sight of my copter many times, but it rarely goes out of line of sight.

For me this is difficult due the hilly and forested terrain, but I can fly it out over the Hudson river until I can no longer see it. It is still within LOS. People with better eyesight than mine don't impart that ability onto the copter with respect to better flight performance.
Your correct with the LOS definition but What he really means is to keep it in site.

I know. But those are two different (but related) things. Occupational hazard ... I was a math/science teacher for 35 years. :)

Checking the log would depend on what exactly happened when the app had problems. Almost every time my app crashes or gives and error (on Android) there tends to not be a log associated with that flight. If that is the case then you will just have to scour the area between your home point and where you think it was when you lost connection with it unfortunately. Keep your eyes on the ground and on top of the trees...good luck!

It's also possible when he lost rc connection and it entered RTH mode on its own that when he pressed the RTH button he may have accidentally disabled the RTH. Result would be the Phantom would have stayed in a hover where it was eventually landing in place when it reached 10% battery power.

This is an interesting possibility, but low battery should also trigger RTH. He would have to have regained signal to disable RTH with the controller, though, so here's a question ... if RTH is engaged due to loss of connection and then connection is reestablished, do we get the RTH beeping and the white light on the RC?

Checking the log would depend on what exactly happened when the app had problems. Almost every time my app crashes or gives and error (on Android) there tends to not be a log associated with that flight. If that is the case then you will just have to scour the area between your home point and where you think it was when you lost connection with it unfortunately. Keep your eyes on the ground and on top of the trees...good luck!

Ouch. I haven't had that experience, fortunately. Good to know. Thanks. Still waiting to hear back from him one way or the other.

Draw a stright line in between you and your bird ( where it last appear ) on the map. Walk alon that stright line to fine it.

Reactions: S5S5G6
This is an interesting possibility, but low battery should also trigger RTH. He would have to have regained signal to disable RTH with the controller, though, so here's a question ... if RTH is engaged due to loss of connection and then connection is reestablished, do we get the RTH beeping and the white light on the RC?

RTH can be active with rc working before you have a video feed back. So yeah it's possible you might accidentally turn off RTH just as you begin hearing he beep on your RC.

Your phantom only does an RTH do to signal loss. Otherwise it will just auto land at 10%.

I however do not know if the function within the DJI app which returns your phantom home when it's power is at the level it needs to be to return home will still work if you don't actually have the app up and running. This is something that would need to be tested in the field. If that function does work without having to be in the DJI app then yeah your Phantom would have gone from a hover to auto return home well before that 10% auto land threshold.

Page 13 of the manual says that RTH will be automatic if there is no response within 10 seconds to low battery warning

I and a few others have had bad experiences with the RTH feature. It's not working as it should. DJI better get on this as they don't offer a home lock either. RTH needs to be fully functional for instances like this. It's also a big safety net if you lose communication with the RC.

Reactions: Kenneth Gundersen
Update guys. I found the bird. Lost it Friday evening and found it yesterday(tuesday) it the exact location as the map showed. Although thats easier to say now that i found it. Its banged up pretty bad. I think minus a motor that all the electronics are ok. One ribbon cable is destroyed, but I think I can buy a new one. Ive seen a couple of parts websites, and Im surprised at how cheap they are. My outter case is cracked in a few places, and the gimble mount is broken. Camera broke off and was laying about 30 feet away. Was lucky to have found it. It was in a wooded property of a fella that bad a bad rep. I didnt wanna be snooping around too much. Once I spotted it, I rushed in to retrieve and hurried out. Anybody got any recommendations for sites for parts? Im quite happy to have found it. But still puzzled to why it didnt return to home. Anywho, I look forward to your responses and hopefully getting this bird back in the air. Thanks

Were you recording video at the time? Is the sd card there amd usable? Maybe a crash caused the disconnect rather than the opposite, so video would be useful.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1