Lost my whole new setup

tom3holer said:
RobertMfromLI said:
badbrad97 said:
You have insurance?

I do. $1 million through the AMA, a $2 million policy for personal liability, and a $2 million policy for general/professional liability. While I've never come close to landing/crashing near a building or person, I still take this hobby very seriously. At $87 a month (plus 1 year AMA membership fees), to me, it's worth the peace of mind (for at least the property damage part - because I still dread ever hurting someone with the copter).

I would also question if you were flying outside of "AMA Rules", like out of visual control range thet would not pay.

And I would answer no. And as I noted above, besides me being always able to see the copter, I also fly with a spotter, and am starting to fly with TWO FPVs (front via GoPro, and rear & partial sides via a 170 degree wide angle cam). And a collision avoidance system. So - you'll find that I'm one of the safest P2 flyers you'll find.

But thanks for asking. :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

koviatt said:
Hey Crazy!

If you look at my video in this thread you will see that I had an OSD. Take a look and give me your recommendation!!

Hey There

Sorry I didnt watch the clip.... Were you not able to via the IoSD work your way back to it. After giving it a view its and pretty crappy thing to happen. I know the azimuth reading is supposed to give you a heading or bearing back to where the unit would have been from your takeoff position... I have never tested this though

RobertMfromLI said:
badbrad97 said:
RobertMfromLI said:
I do. $1 million through the AMA, a $2 million policy for personal liability, and a $2 million policy for general/professional liability. While I've never come close to landing/crashing near a building or person, I still take this hobby very seriously. At $87 a month (plus 1 year AMA membership fees), to me, it's worth the peace of mind (for at least the property damage part - because I still dread ever hurting someone with the copter).

I have tried several agencies and none of them where able to cover damage from RC craft. I had looked into AMA coverage, but if I remember it didn't cover you if you were doing it commercially. I would like to find out more information from you. I wouldn't mind paying, if I could get coverage. I have liability and workman's comp for my photography business, but my agent says that covering my quad is a stretch.

AMA, as you noted, covers "enthusiast/hobbyist" flying but not commercial - nor does it cover the copter itself. My Hiscox plan does not cover damage to equipment, but could (I chose not to cover the copter, or my dSLR's - something I plan on reconsidering as I get more work). It does cover rented equipment though.

If you have a Geico policy, you can "apply" directly through the Geico website (there will be a link for business policies), or, you can go to Hiscox directly. Or, you can find other insurance companies, because I am sure that the Geico/Hiscox partnership is far from the only company that provides such insurance.

Best,
Rob

Struck out again. I called both Geico and Hiscox and they don't insure commercial drone photography in SC. They told me to try Bolt insurance. I will give them a call tomorrow.

I am SO sorry for your loss. I posted a question in General Discussion regarding the maximum altitude anyone has achieved. I have an interest in high altitude photos/video. After reading your story, I think 1,000 feet will be my maximum altitude!

As a sky diver, I can tell you that if the props weren't generating any lift, the descent speed would be 125mph. But, a few skydivers have survived even though both the main and reserve chutes didn't open. It is all about where you land. A lot of people think water would be the best bet, but water is like concrete at that speed.

Anyway, if your drone passed through small tree limbs, then landed in very soft ground and/or on less than horizontal ground, it will be a mess, but you could probably salvage some parts. I hope you can find it.

Again, I can only imagine how you feel. Not knowing exactly what happened would keep me up at night, too. Finding it, might help you. Msg me as I might be able to help locate it.

Well here we are 14 months later. I figured it was time to give you all an update. This morning I was at breakfast at a local restaurant. A neighbor I had not seen in over a year walked up and asked if I ever found my quad. It was on some of the farm land that he managed where the quad was lost. I told him that interestingly enough, I had just ordered a whole new setup and was expecting it today. A newer version (P3P) that was now designed to prevent such a loss. He just shook his head and said, "sorry." So today my new unit arrived and I am back in the air. Obviously, without a way to get past the 500 meter limit and then only if I am able to get a clearance from the local FAA to do some test flights at high altitudes (like a balloon clearance), I won't be doing any "to the limits" flying. Lesson learned.

Just thought I would give you all an update and close this chapter in my life. I searched and grieved for 14 months - it was time to move on. Kent

Hello everyone. On 5/24/14 I lost my whole p2 setup. As you can see from this thread I had completely given up about four months ago. 20 months has passed. Just today, my wife texted me and said the prodigal son had returned. It is in rough shape. And I have not seen if the memory card is still inside the hero pro. So when I get home, I'll get some pictures and update anyone who is interested. It was found about 1/4 mile off the extended search area. Thanks again for all you who helped in the search.

Here is the video, if the forum will post correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
We need some sort of light weight tracking device, kind of like they use on hunting dogs but scaled waaaaaay down. I guess that's what the GPS tracking is for also. Phone app would be great.
jk

I have ordered new props, screws, skids and stickers :) for my P2. It was brand new when I lost it. So my plan is to repair the zenmuse (done) replace the tattered wiring harnesses, and get her back in the air. I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE.

Connected a battery and got the standard beeps as I remember. Only two arms are blinking green. The other arms have no lights. The gimbal attempts to initialize and in doing so it violently rattles back and forth on the horizontal axis about every minute. The vertical axis periodical seems to be fine and stable. The radio can control the gimbal. The motors will not start. I swapped a non working esc in a working slot and it started working. So I just ordered a new main board. Will let you know when I get that installed.

Wow... that was incredible!

I recently lost my drone but it was only for 18 hours...not months. And it was only that long because I had decided to try a "dusk" flight to test my gopro hero4 black low-light capability. I went down in some hilly area that was covered in bushes with inch-long thorns and small boulder.

The next morning a friend and I went back to the "scene of the crime" and searched for it. My friend found it in an area surrounded by rocks and those thorny bushes, but it was sitting like it was landed there intentionally. No damage! I resolved to buy a GPS tracker for my P2 after that!! (I'm still waiting for my Flytrex tracker to arrive in the mail).

I feel for your loss and hope that your future flights all have much happier landings!!

UPDATE.

Connected a battery and got the standard beeps as I remember. Only two arms are blinking green. The other arms have no lights. The gimbal attempts to initialize and in doing so it violently rattles back and forth on the horizontal axis about every minute. The vertical axis periodical seems to be fine and stable. The radio can control the gimbal. The motors will not start. I swapped a non working esc in a working slot and it started working. So I just ordered a new main board. Will let you know when I get that installed.
UPDATE: I started a new thread - please check it out and offer your wisdom. I sure could use some help on this...

Hello everyone. On 5/24/14 I lost my whole p2 setup. As you can see from this thread I had completely given up about four months ago. 20 months has passed. Just today, my wife texted me and said the prodigal son had returned. It is in rough shape. And I have not seen if the memory card is still inside the hero pro. So when I get home, I'll get some pictures and update anyone who is interested. It was found about 1/4 mile off the extended search area. Thanks again for all you who helped in the search.

Here is the video, if the forum will post correctly.

Wow that's amazing!

How did someone return it? Or did you find it?

So how high was that? What's your altitude when it started to fall? That's way up there! Crazy!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4