Lost my phantom :-(

hey gingericeman.. as long as your phantom isnt damaged from the water, and you camer/gimble didnt fly off,you should be al right.. i hit a 130 foot tall tree at 30 mph with my p2v+.. the camera and gimble flew off bending the gimble arm..i believe if it had stayed in tacked it would'nt have been damaged.. in your case your phantom was barely moving when it hit the tree so if there's damage it will be from the fall down.. ill bet your camera seperated if you didnt have a couple zip ties to stop the camera from seperating..also a fly trex is great but if you loose power on your phantom you wont be able to retrieve the data.. thats why everyone who flys a uav needs a seperate gps tracker.. i also recomed a locater 8.. if it is still in the tree a locater 8 can find it up to 1000 f away..as seen on " on the kitchen table with simon newton"

I noticed you had a low battery, just a observation could have had something to do with your loss, my phantom returns
At a certain battery level to home.

right on dirkclod!! i haden't seen this video..wow 1 million views!! i really enjoy watching his videos and suggest to anyone who hasnt watched to check them out..

turbodronepilot said:
right on dirkclod!! i haden't seen this video..wow 1 million views!! i really enjoy watching his videos and suggest to anyone who hasnt watched to check them out..

how many views ?

EDIT got it now

Ladies and gentlemen , we got him :-D I put my new Phantom up yesterday and took pictures and I just noticed my drone up a tree about 50 feet with its belly and camera pointing straight up into the sky. I'm going out now to recover it. Any tips for drying it out ?

I'm so happy, now Thundbirds are go :-D

That's good news. :)

gingericeman said:
Ladies and gentlemen , we got him :-D I put my new Phantom up yesterday and took pictures and I just noticed my drone up a tree about 50 feet with its belly and camera pointing straight up into the sky. I'm going out now to recover it. Any tips for drying it out ?

take all the electronics out and put them in dry rice - lots of articles on this if you google it - I have seen people here suggest days or weeks - I'll let someone who has had success give you that piece of advice :)

The KEY is resist any urge to try turning it on until you make the attempts to dry it... if there's residual moisture you will short it out and then you're off buying a bunch of parts.

Congrats of finding the bird :) at least you have another one to keep you from wanting to rush getting #1 back into the air!

gingericeman said:

Good to read. I hope you put a tracker on that new one.

Thanks guys. It was bang on where I was searching but near impossible to spot from the ground. I had to get up 20feet into the tree before I could see one of the arms and a prop sticking out. I still can't reach it. A Window cleaner is coming out with 40 feet of telescopic pole tomorrow.

I'm going to buy a tracker for each of my Phantoms now, don't want this ever happening again .

Glad you found it, perseverance pays off,

gingericeman said:
I'm going to buy a tracker for each of my Phantoms now, don't want this ever happening again .

LOL

I love the way you dropped that .... "each of my Phantoms" :D

I wish.

gingericeman said:
...I'm going to buy a tracker for each of my Phantoms now, don't want this ever happening again .
Good!
Lets hope it is not too damaged. If it is, maybe some parts will still be OK.

haveing a back up to go on a search mision can be a handy thing if you know what you are seeing if you do happen to fly by it.

I lost an fc40 and took my other one out to look for it but because it was much closer then i thought I discounted on spot that in one of the videos looked like some thing white on the ground in yard near by then another shot was not in the yard again a few hours later. So i thought it was a pcs of paper or some thing. Turns out after I got it back the guy who found it left it out side for a few hours in case any one came by looking for it but then when a rain storm was forecast he went out side and brought it in side. But after he told me were he lived I went and looked at the videos again and sure enough the big white x was my fc40 laying right were it crashed after bouncing off the dudes roof from what he said looked to be a few 100 feet up. It had a fly away then some how started to make its way back and he said he seen it fly back towards the way it had come from a few minutes before then stop over his house and started to land then just dropped like a rock. So I'm guessing it was trying to auto land due to a low battery but just did not have enough power to make it down safely. Tho the last place I had seen it was when it all the sudden shot off like a bat out of hell away from home till I could not see it any more which seemed to be about a mile or so.

Great news but wasn't it a bit silly to buy a new one so you can search for the old one?

I wanted to come over with mine and help you search but no word from you...

Hombre, The mail I received from you was on the 21st jan and I replied on the 22nd, I do t know why it didnt arrive in your inbox but I can screen shot my sent items to show you if you wish . Again though thanks for your offer and I appreciate it but my boss wouldn't give me that weekend off work as I'd already taken 4 days off to look for it .

I'm happy I have the two now (albeit one is still up the tree, waiting for the weather to calm to either climb/put up telescopic carbon fibre pole/ cherry picker ) . When I get the other one back in the air I plan to mod one and attach a sony rx100 with either the droneexpertnl mount or other third party mount . It beats buying a s900 .

Some one I know thats on the board who lives down south got his out of a tree in quite a genius get'er done red neck fashion.. lol lol he tried a ladder and it was way to high and still out of reach and all tangled up on the end of a limb. so he lol lol took a .22 and shot the branch a few times till it broke. lol lol yeeeeeehawwwwwww He got that son of a gun out of the tree. and it seemed a lot easier then carrying a chain saw or a 100foot ladder the flight case for such things as that.

There are houses all around the perimeter of the woods so a rifle was a non starter.

I got it down eventually using extendable poles and a 2x1 board duct taped to the end, poked it loose and down it came like a rock . The fall bent one of the arms and knocked the battery loose and out of the phantom . I got it home, disassembled , held a hair dryer to it for about an hour and then in the hot press for 3 hours .

The only moisture I could find was in the glass covers for the lights & it was only condensation. I plugged in a battery and powered up first time . Plugged her up to the pc , reset everything, calibrated everything. I let it sit for 30 minutes then nervously made her first flight and she flew .

She flew ok, but swayed alot on her own without input, for instance rise and fall by about 3 foot correcting herself all the time.

I believe this is because of the bent arm was affecting the balance and the unit was constantly correcting itself. I decided to try and mend the arm. I applied heat and carefully reshaped back to its original shape . I'm going out now to fly again and hopefully that will have solved the issue . If not I'll buy a new empty hull and transfer everything over .

Attachments

• 20150206_133237.jpg
    20150206_133237.jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 290
And here is an air to air photo of the crashed phantom back in the air flying perfectly again.

Attachments

• DJI02151.JPG
    DJI02151.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 348
gingericeman said:

Great news!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20