Lost My Phantom 2

Reaction score
Any ideas of how to find my phantom 2. It also has a gopro attached. Can the gopro or the phantom 2 be tracked in anyway? Please tell me anything of how to get it back.

How did it happen?
How is your Phantom 2 setup?
Whereabout are you located and where did you fly the phantom?

Sorry to read that man. I know this doesn't help you now but short of implementing something from one of the GPS/tracker/noise maker threads, you should at least put your email/mobile phone/contact info with waterproof stickers on your Phantom.

Within the SD card of the GoPro, have a __README_IF_FOUND.txt and have a message with contact info and how this copter is a big deal to you.

This will at least give you a fighting chance if an honest person found your copter.

I was flying it straight forward until I couldn't see it, so I could get some cool footage. I then put it in failsafe mode for it to come back to me, which had worked just minutes before, and it never came back. I'm pretty sure I know the general area of where it is. Today I went out to my neighbor's house across the street to look in the woods behind their house, but no luck so far.

Return to home doesn't happen instantly or at great speed. Depending on your height at the moment you initiated it there is climbing, hovering, flying back to you at less than full speed, more hovering, then slow descending to land. If you were low on battery power then it might have started the return process but run out of power to complete and landed itself somewhere between where you took off and where you initiated the failsafe.

I definitely second putting a "reward if returned" and your phone number label on the top of it just in case. If you didn't have this you could try delivering "have you seen my quadcopter - reward" leaflets in the area.

Hope you find it, good luck.

Reactions: Fplvert
zaqman said:
I was flying it straight forward until I couldn't see it, so I could get some cool footage. I then put it in failsafe mode for it to come back to me, which had worked just minutes before, and it never came back. I'm pretty sure I know the general area of where it is. Today I went out to my neighbor's house across the street to look in the woods behind their house, but no luck so far.

Did you have contact info on your rig?

Zaqman I feel sorry for loss. Like flying fanta said ''Did you have contact info on your rig?'' or fpv set-up which had the gps set-up?
look at the last place you saw it go down and hope someone saw it

Please fly with-in your limits the fail-safe mode is for last ditch attempts to get to your heli back. just like turning off your TX and praying it will return. Practice to fly with out these methods first before you think about failsafe!

That sucks. You definitely want to put stickers with contact info. I put a sticker on each battery, my gopro, the zenmuse, the p2 itself....anything at all that could somehow fall out or become separated from the phantom. I may just be a little overly paranoid though. The return to home failsafe scares the crap out of me. I agree that should be an absolute last resort. Good luck man!

tonym206 said:
The return to home failsafe scares the crap out of me. I agree that should be an absolute last resort. Good luck man!

I've been flying my Phantom for 3-4 weeks now and not once have I even tried RTH. I may do it one day if I'm really really in the middle of nowhere.

Awareness for all the things that can prevent RTH from working properly is really really important.

Sorry about that. There is a lot of things that DJI has to improve in the phantoms. The "Fail safe" mode is for emergencies only. The best way to flying safe is not to exceed the capabilities of the phantom and always mantein visual contact with the phantom during the flight. Sorry any way. I hope you find it soon.

I have always been somewhat skeptical about Fail Safe mode because it is programmed to raise the bird's altitude to only about 66 feet (if it was below that...otherwise it returns at whatever altitude you were flying at). Lots of trees around here above 66' tall.

The fliers code calls for keeping your RC craft in visual range. I know, a lot of pilots don't think that this applies to them.
Same for stop signs and red lights, etc.

But my suggestions for the future. Don't use Fail Safe. Use Home Lock and pull back on the pitch stick. It'll head back to you. Yes....it works if the bird is working. Also, as I found out today, it's really nice to have the OSD information. That way you can adjust the altitude to whatever will actually clear the tall trees.

If you were using the DJI or Litchi. App there is a find my Phantom in the settings. It give you the last known location of your Phantom and your location on a map. Can be a real handy tool. Has worked for me twice.

I have always been somewhat skeptical about Fail Safe mode because it is programmed to raise the bird's altitude to only about 66 feet (if it was below that...otherwise it returns at whatever altitude you were flying at). Lots of trees around here above 66' tall.

The fliers code calls for keeping your RC craft in visual range. I know, a lot of pilots don't think that this applies to them.

But my suggestions for the future. Don't use Fail Safe. Use Home Lock and pull back on the pitch stick. It'll head back to you. Yes....it works if the bird is working. Also, as I found out today, it's really nice to have the OSD information. That way you can adjust the altitude to whatever will actually clear the tall trees.
Post before you was from Jan 2014
RTH is your friend ..just program it to what you want to come home at.I use it a lot and works great !

But my suggestions for the future. Don't use Fail Safe.

In the app you can set the Failsafe RTH height. I set mine to 150 ft to clear all obsticles around here. Works great. The 66 ft yor talking about is the default. Check the manual there are many choices such as height , return to home and land or just land where it's at etc. manual has a lot of good info.

Reactions: dirkclod
Check the manual there are many choices such as height , return to home and land or just land where it's at etc. manual has a lot of good info.
because its important to read.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers