Lost my P4

Too bad you don't have a fellow Phantom pilot near by who could perform some overhead reconnaissance of the area. You'd be surprised how difficult it can be to see a Phantom nestled in the trees. Tonight want to try scanning the treetops in the dark with a bright flashlight. Easier to spot a white Phantom against the dark night sky.

It's only 6 inches deep went round it 10 times but agree that's where it seemed to be heading

(Sorry for the ugly pic but)... I believe it should be here... somewhere here:

P4_Search.png

I bet you did already, but I would intensify search effort in red area first, then orange then yellow. Then red again, and again, and so on...

Good luck!!! Go find it!

When I fly my P3P, I see the GPS map in the lower left. Is there a way to get the last gps location off the flight log and then go to your iPhones altimeter and walk to that gps location?

An even better insurance, is real insurance! State Farm insures mine for $5 a month, the nice thing about that is, that's the least expensive policy, so you can move up to about $3000 without an increase. $60 a year, and you don't track your crashed beat up quad, there's a 90% chance it's broken camera or gimbal, prolly 50% chance it's in water or beyond repair by now, then the heartache the poor guys going through, for your $60 you have extra remote and batteries and everything else, plus your new drone, it's the only way to go.
How did you sign up for that? The insurance companies I have spoke with either said they won't cover it or they have to classify it as an "aircraft". Basically nobody knows wtf they are talking about wherever I call.

From the first of June my company launch new tracking device. The price will be 99 Euro and include 12 month free service (unlimited data) in all EU country. If someone is interesting can PM me.

How did you sign up for that? The insurance companies I have spoke with either said they won't cover it or they have to classify it as an "aircraft". Basically nobody knows wtf they are talking about wherever I call.
Ok, it's called a ...hang on, gotta look it up, ok it's a "Personall Asset Risk Policy" Sinisalo.
Remember though, this won't cover liability! Most of us have homeowners for that, renters insurance may also cover it that, this is for your controller and bird, no deductible, and like I said, it's up to about $3000 at $1.50 per $100 in coverage. My agent screwed up her math, she told me the rate, but then goes " so it's still like $220 a year, and I said, yeah if it's worth $14,000! Lol then she apologized after some silence. But the lowest they can go is like $50 after everything mines comes to $5 a month

From the first of June my company launch new tracking device. The price will be 99 Euro and include 12 month free service (unlimited data) in all EU country. If someone is interesting can PM me.
Well, good luck with that! Really

People overlook that a higher than necessary altitude setting to merely clear obstructions can, in and of itself, fully restore control, unless you are at the very edge of control range, where it will actually take it farther away from control (length of the hypotenuse side of the triangle increases during vertical elevation), initially, until it starts coming back.
I've since raised mine from 400' to 200 meters yeah yeah it's over the Guidelines, but in a lost bird scenario, getting control trumps an arbitrary BS guideline as far as I am concerned. And your right too about possibly taking it further away, but I think for the most part height will help and does

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I've since raised mine from 400' to 200 meters yeah yeah it's over the Guidelines, but in a lost bird scenario, getting control trumps an arbitrary BS guideline as far as I am concerned. And your right too about possibly taking it further away, but I think for the most part height will help and does
It's also a temporary elevation that rarely actually reaches the full RTH setting, because you usually regain control long before then. Then you can descend until signal starts degrading again, or bring it closer, or change the aircraft orientation, or move away from the obstruction causing the signal loss, to improve the control signal and FPV stability. Sometimes even flying backwards away or sideways away from you will improve video stability, because the location of the transmitting video antenna on the aircraft may cause it to to be blocked by the camera or the body of the aircraft in high wind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sim597
It's also a temporary elevation that rarely actually reaches the full RTH setting, because you usually regain control long before then. Then you can descend until signal starts degrading again, or bring it closer, or change the aircraft orientation, or move away from the obstruction causing the signal loss, to improve the control signal and FPV stability. Sometimes even flying backwards away or sideways away from you will improve video stability, because the location of the transmitting video antenna on the aircraft may cause it to to be blocked by the camera or the body of the aircraft in high wind.
I have a known spot, right next to this huge resort about 4000' from me, the problem is I have a treeline 10' from me on my neighbors property, so when I go that way, I can change direction to get better signals, because it's thru the trees, and some spots get thru better, but what I've been doing is flying backwards like you say, so when it gets too bad I just fly toward lol.
MaxXUAV was going to send my big antenna (not the DBS-02, but the one that seems to be 6.5"X10" the huge one) but told him to wait until he sends everything tomorrow, with the EVO kit and big antenna, I should finally be able to put up some impressive numbers, I'm as excited about recieving this new kit as I was about the P4, Maybe more! I'm also going to clean the install up with the clean install kit.

Reactions: Sinisalo
I have a known spot, right next to this huge resort about 4000' from me, the problem is I have a treeline 10' from me on my neighbors property, so when I go that way, I can change direction to get better signals, because it's thru the trees, and some spots get thru better, but what I've been doing is flying backwards like you say, so when it gets too bad I just fly toward lol.
MaxXUAV was going to send my big antenna (not the DBS-02, but the one that seems to be 6.5"X10" the huge one) but told him to wait until he sends everything tomorrow, with the EVO kit and big antenna, I should finally be able to put up some impressive numbers, I'm as excited about recieving this new kit as I was about the P4, Maybe more! I'm also going to clean the install up with the clean install kit.
Flying backwards has its own set of problems, which can bite you in the a** literally, as you can't see the power lines, tall trees, tethered advertising balloons, and buildings that are easily seen and avoided while flying forward. I keep having to turn around to "peek" to make sure nothing is coming up along the flight path! The "Big Boy" Itelite will certainly make a difference, but helps less with the FPV, which really needs more power output from the aircraft. However, I got 5.8 miles away with the P4 with just with the DBS-02 with 4.0A boosters on a GL300A remote. Had to turn around only because of the battery, not because of loss of signal!

RF-V16 Ebay #261596781097 then buy your sims card good to go.Just good insurance.

I have had the V16 now for about 1month.. good cheap solution which i have not yet required to use. (hope i never do)

The one i purchase says it expires 2026 which got me by surprise as i seen others saying you only get 12months or so GPS APP access subscription then its about $15USD a year or less.

The mobile App can be found on Apple store or Play store under "AnyTracking"

I also got a friend with a 3d printer to make me this.

Note: its GSM only.. no 3G/4G support, so i will need to find a prepaid provider that is not killing the GSM network as the one i am with at the moment is turning it off at the end of 2016 (im in Australia)

Picture One
Picture Two

Reactions: GUP-GX
I feel for you bro, keep looking and ask around you never know.
Thanks for this very important post, try using a Trackr on your drone so that you can track it down when there is a total power lost. Trackr are 30.00 and are very good at locating lost objects like keys, ect.

Thanks for this very important post, try using a Trackr on your drone so that you can track it down when there is a total power lost. Trackr are 30.00 and are very good at locating lost objects like keys, ect.

The Trackr is only any use if another trackr users walks within 100ft of your trackr... If your flying out in the country, or a remote area the chances of that is remote... Im not sure its the best option for a quapter...

Hi, just wondering if you ever found it.
Keep us updated. Looking forward for a positive outcome :)

I have had the V16 now for about 1month.. good cheap solution which i have not yet required to use. (hope i never do)

The one i purchase says it expires 2026 which got me by surprise as i seen others saying you only get 12months or so GPS APP access subscription then its about $15USD a year or less.

The mobile App can be found on Apple store or Play store under "AnyTracking"

I also got a friend with a 3d printer to make me this.

Note: its GSM only.. no 3G/4G support, so i will need to find a prepaid provider that is not killing the GSM network as the one i am with at the moment is turning it off at the end of 2016 (im in Australia)

Picture One
Picture Two

Thank you for mentioning this. Very smart! GSM (2G) is also being phased out in the US.

Do you feel the device causes any adverse interference being that close/ mounted on the drone?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl