Lost GPS Craziness since Firmware Upgrade

Reaction score
OK, I'm gonna say it. Screw this last Firmware upgrade. Since upgrading to the new Firmware I've had this.

1. Focus Issues
2. Tilted Horizon
So I did an IMU calibration then went out for first flight

3. And now the Grand Slam, I'm flying along a block from my house and I get NO GPS, zero from 16 sats to none, I immediately put in ATTI mode, gained control and brought her home no problem.

Looking at log on my Ipad its very short and says something about recovered log. Hooking drone to computer to see what logs are there..

Well here is the file... Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Few weird things. First off that map no way accurate as to where I was flying. I was within one block of my home. Also when it first occurred I did switch to Sport thinking that would kill GPS and then soon changed to ATTI although I don't see atti mode list there. But you can see the GPS errors with 19 sats???? @msinger

No one wants to take a crack at this and see what happened> This No GPS thing is being reported more and more and can cost you to lose the drone..

No one wants to take a crack at this and see what happened> This No GPS thing is being reported more and more and can cost you to lose the drone..
BK: Not to sound smug (knock on wood) I have the 3A and have had almost no issues and a lot of hours. BUT I never update anything.So I can not help much. but I wanted to mention I saw someone today mention exactly the same GPS error message "GPS Error NoMatch". I will look for it.

And at 5 minutes it shows you almost a half mile from your house?

Yes I saw that which is what prompted me to ask again for someone to look at my log and see what might be causing this. I had 19 sats when I got the error and lost all bearing on the app. I had the bird a mile from where I was. I brought it back visually. There was another person in England I believe that the bird went crazy and I remembered everyone telling him he should have switched to ATTi which is what I did even though log says I switched to SPORT...Crazy stuff...all since the latest Firmware.

This is really odd. So, is any part of the map accurate? Or is it all wrong? If only parts of it are wrong, do they correspond roughly to where the messages appeared? I don't see anything in the data suggesting the drone didn't know where it was when those errors popped up. I noticed there's a big gap in the log. 2.5 minutes towards the beginning.

Did it do anything weird when those messages came up? Did it feel like it was flying in ATTI at all when those messages came up or did it hold position and fly normally?

I've examined the flight record and see some interesting things.
1. GPS Position NoMatch error messages
This came up 18 times during the flight between 5:54 - 10:43
Each time it was only there for 0.5 sec and the recorded speed/position appear to be correct.
No indication that there is anything wrong with the GPS for any of these.
Did a message show on the screen?

2. Missing first 54 seconds of the flight. We don't know what happened here but reading between the lines and looking at what comes next, it seems that you had a problem here?

3. From 1:00 - 1:35 you only have position updates every 5 seconds instead of the usual 1/10th of a second.

4. 1:35 - 4:36 - no flight data - message to advise downlink restored at 4:36
You lost the downlink for 3 minutes during which the Phantom travelled 2600 ft SE
We have a line between the two points 3 minutes apart but this does not mean that the Phantom travelled a straight line necessarily.
Presumably this is the part of the flight you said you switched to atti?
If so, did you attempt to control the Phantom of was it drifting with the wind?

5. 4:36 - 5:39 - 5 second updates again

6. Flight after this appears normal except for the GPS Position NoMatch messages.

The flight record shows you in Sport mode 8:32 - 10:45
This is confirmed by the speed for some of this time.
(Sport mode still uses GPS - it just tilts further and goes faster).

The GPS Position NoMatch messages don't seem to indicate any problem.
Where there was a problem, the absent data makes it hard to know what was really happening.
What GPS tracking we can see doesn't appear to have any obvious errors.
I believe it is accurate.

W
I've examined the flight record and see some interesting things.
1. GPS Position NoMatch error messages
This came up 18 times during the flight between 5:54 - 10:43
Each time it was only there for 0.5 sec and the recorded speed/position appear to be correct.
No indication that there is anything wrong with the GPS for any of these.
Did a message show on the screen?

2. Missing first 54 seconds of the flight. We don't know what happened here but reading between the lines and looking at what comes next, it seems that you had a problem here?

3. From 1:00 - 1:35 you only have position updates every 5 seconds instead of the usual 1/10th of a second.

4. 1:35 - 4:36 - no flight data - message to advise downlink restored at 4:36
You lost the downlink for 3 minutes during which the Phantom travelled 2600 ft SE
We have a line between the two points 3 minutes apart but this does not mean that the Phantom travelled a straight line necessarily.
Presumably this is the part of the flight you said you switched to atti?
If so, did you attempt to control the Phantom of was it drifting with the wind?

5. 4:36 - 5:39 - 5 second updates again

6. Flight after this appears normal except for the GPS Position NoMatch messages.

The flight record shows you in Sport mode 8:32 - 10:45
This is confirmed by the speed for some of this time.
(Sport mode still uses GPS - it just tilts further and goes faster).

The GPS Position NoMatch messages don't seem to indicate any problem.
Where there was a problem, the absent data makes it hard to know what was really happening.
What GPS tracking we can see doesn't appear to have any obvious errors.
I believe it is accurate.
As I tilted this post CRAZINESS. All I can tell you I was one block to the east of my house. Main street and I was trying to see how the camera was doing..I had things pop on the screen so fast I couldn't comprehend them. I did see something about IMU then I saw the GPS something or another, I saw switch to Atti mode..I looked down at map on my screen and on screen I was not where I was physically. First thing that came to my mind was a post I had read a few days before where someone in England I believe had the GPS go even though he was showing all sats and had the fight of his life getting the bird back. I immediately thought to switch to ATTI not knowing what was gonna happen. I did switch into SPORT for a bit...then finally Atti. Sport was an error thinking it was Atti. The bird flew back to me fine, no issues. Everything else I have no idea what happened. The missing parts of the flight etc. All craziness..I did a IMU Cal and have been testing ever since and the error has NOT repeated. However, something is going on as everyday it's popping up this GPS match thing, was that ever scene before the last firmware? All in all I'm thankful to you and anyone else trying to decipher this mess. No harm or foul as the bird is fine just thoughts go through my mind that this could happen again in a different situation and I might not be so lucky.

This is really odd. So, is any part of the map accurate? Or is it all wrong? If only parts of it are wrong, do they correspond roughly to where the messages appeared? I don't see anything in the data suggesting the drone didn't know where it was when those errors popped up. I noticed there's a big gap in the log. 2.5 minutes towards the beginning.

Did it do anything weird when those messages came up? Did it feel like it was flying in ATTI at all when those messages came up or did it hold position and fly normally?
Yes some parts are...The errors were coming so fast I couldn't comprehend what they were saying, I was only a block away and flew right home.

As I tilted this post CRAZINESS. All I can tell you I was one block to the east of my house. Main street and I was trying to see how the camera was doing..I had things pop on the screen so fast I couldn't comprehend them. I did see something about IMU then I saw the GPS something or another, I saw switch to Atti mode..I looked down at map on my screen and on screen I was not where I was physically. First thing that came to my mind was a post I had read a few days before where someone in England I believe had the GPS go even though he was showing all sats and had the fight of his life getting the bird back. I immediately thought to switch to ATTI not knowing what was gonna happen. I did switch into SPORT for a bit...then finally Atti. Sport was an error thinking it was Atti. The bird flew back to me fine, no issues. Everything else I have no idea what happened. The missing parts of the flight etc. All craziness..I did a IMU Cal and have been testing ever since and the error has NOT repeated. However, something is going on as everyday it's popping up this GPS match thing, was that ever scene before the last firmware? All in all I'm thankful to you and anyone else trying to decipher this mess. No harm or foul as the bird is fine just thoughts go through my mind that this could happen again in a different situation and I might not be so lucky.

So we can see that it's working OK but had some sort of glitch.
One thing you could try that won't hurt but might help clean out the cobwebs, is to connect the Phantom to your computer and fire up Assistant 2.
In the firmware section, click on Reset to factory defaults.
This might help to get rid of any weirdness that's crept in.
Afterwards just check your settings to put back any of yours that have reverted to default values.

One thing you could try that won't hurt but might help clean out the cobwebs, is to connect the Phantom to your computer and fire up Assistant 2.
Afterwards just check your settings to put back any of yours that have reverted to default values.
I did do exactly that before I did the IMU, I refreshed the firmware in DJI Assistant.

Reactions: MedicFL1
Here is a new log from yesterday. I had a gazzilion Attitude too Large. Exit Forward Obstacle Sensing errors and was checking the log for that...and guess what? A whole bunch of the GPS Position NoMatch warnings as well although I never saw any of them on the screen and the flight was unaffected. Here is that log

Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

They issued another update January 17th
That might help .
OK, I'm gonna say it. Screw this last Firmware upgrade. Since upgrading to the new Firmware I've had this.

1. Focus Issues
2. Tilted Horizon
So I did an IMU calibration then went out for first flight

3. And now the Grand Slam, I'm flying along a block from my house and I get NO GPS, zero from 16 sats to none, I immediately put in ATTI mode, gained control and brought her home no problem.

Looking at log on my Ipad its very short and says something about recovered log. Hooking drone to computer to see what logs are there..

Here is a new log from yesterday. I had a gazzilion Attitude too Large. Exit Forward Obstacle Sensing errors and was checking the log for that...and guess what? A whole bunch of the GPS Position NoMatch warnings as well although I never saw any of them on the screen and the flight was unaffected. Here is that log
The attitude too large messages are a false alarm that shows up because they have a threshold value set too low in the firmware and are likely to fix that in the future - it's safe to ignore them.
And looking at your previous log, it would seem the GPS mismatch msg is similar - there was nothing wrong with your position or speed for any of the 18 times it showed up then.

I refreshed the firmware in DJI Assistant.
Having just used assistant, there is a factory default button which as it says wipes all the settings you made. A f/w upgrade/refresh retains all the settings (probably in a separate file in the craft).

The attitude too large messages are a false alarm that shows up because they have a threshold value set too low in the firmware and are likely to fix that in the future - it's safe to ignore them.
And looking at your previous log, it would seem the GPS mismatch msg is similar - there was nothing wrong with your position or speed for any of the 18 times it showed up then.
I fixed the attitude issue, I switched back to my ipad from an android tablet..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan