Lost GPS at altitude

Reaction score
Was flying today and lost GPS suddenly. Screen read "Compass Error" or something like that. I checked the log files and at the point of SHTF I see many entries in OSD.flycState switching between GPS_Atti and Atti.
OSD.nonGPSCause lists YAW_ERROR_LARGE. Very strange. Luckily, I was able to bring it back in Atti and land safely. My flight record shows top speed was 48.1mph during the ordeal!

There is a large radio tower nearby but I've never had a problem here before. In fact, just yesterday flew out over 2mi. I calibrated the compass and flew around fine for 2 more batteries. Very strange but I will be hesitant to fly this location again.

Was flying today and lost GPS suddenly. Screen read "Compass Error" or something like that. I checked the log files and at the point of SHTF I see many entries in OSD.flycState switching between GPS_Atti and Atti.
OSD.nonGPSCause lists YAW_ERROR_LARGE. Very strange. Luckily, I was able to bring it back in Atti and land safely. My flight record shows top speed was 48.1mph during the ordeal!

There is a large radio tower nearby but I've never had a problem here before. In fact, just yesterday flew out over 2mi. I calibrated the compass and flew around fine for 2 more batteries. Very strange but I will be hesitant to fly this location again.
I would second that-- Radio towers are not friendly structures to be around-- Glad you got it back and on the ground safely.:)

I would check the GPS plug. Some users have had to put a wedge in between the male and female plug to keep it tight. Lost GPS can be a detriment .

That would require opening the shell and voiding my warranty though right?

What is the GPS plug? Maybe you are getting ready to teach me something.:D:D

Glad it ended up well and always good to practice in Atti mode in case of these issues.

It will have just thrown a compass error and gone into atti like it should do when the compass got bad data near the tower. no need to open it up and check anything. It's just doing what it should. It's designed to do just that in those situations in order to prevent a flyaway.

I had the same problem several weeks ago, and have seen at least one other person report this as well. The app says it is a compass error, but the log only shows the YAW_ERROR_LARGE. In my case, I was 300 ft up and no where near anything that would cause interference so I would say it is unlikely the radio tower contributed to your problem. I have flown many times since and have not had the problem reoccur.

"There is a large radio tower nearby but I've never had a problem here before."

I have flown at my regular spot quite a bit! By a School most likely lots of routers and WIFI RF, Sometimes no problems other times it's pack up and go to my other less fun location for practice.
So One day you mite be flying and possibly nothing is happening with the Radio tower, then another day it mite be working possibly a different spectrum that day, it's hard to see radio interference.
As with Pre Flight checks everyone should document the time of day when our local spots result it great flying time and not so great, and always be ready for issues.

BE prepared for that stuff, the forum has many posts of favorite spot problems. As I can Attest it happens.

I had opened my shell up and inspected my ESC and motor wiring. Had to cut a line through the red stripes to open her up. Even lost one of the screws in one of the arms. Had to call DJI for service and sent it in for RMA . No problem at all for the repairs even though I had opened it. Told the tech I inspected the ESC and made sure the plugs were tight and they said no problem as long as nothing was modified including the controller.

Reactions: Ed209

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20