Lost for 6 months...found!!

Reaction score
Beginning of july i finished building p2v+ from scratch parts on e-bay. It flew perfect.
I built it for a friend who recently lost his p2vision, july 10, one day before his b-day i was doin last time test runs with it & the 2 stage controller i put together for him, when i
Iost connection at 6000' , will never know why it didnt make it home or reconnect ( i have my theorys though) the last seen in app led to a small woodlot, so thick & green i never found it. Got a call today(dec8) a homeowner next to the woodlot was on his deck looked out into the woods and see the white phantom in the now brown,dead woods. Called my number on the bottom. He said it was upright & battery was 3 feet away. Get this the battery still could blink one light, 6 months later. The bird was filthy but not rusty, no physical damage to any part of it! Tonight after charging the battery outside to be safe, suprised that it charged like normal, i popped dirty battery into dirty phantom and everything worked!!! The camera view isnt even foggy like some ive seen with water damage. Such a cool twist to the story of a lost p2. With a little tlc it'll fly another day!

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1449646605.087605.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1449646652.094097.jpg

Reactions: Dirty Bird and Ti22
Good story, I hope before you flee the first time you had done a full calibration of thenIMU and compass. After crashing I wouldn't it again and before take off verify home lock and satellite connection of more than 6 satellites. Might help prevent a reluctance. Glad you got her back.

That's such a great story, I think it is a responsible thing to put your phone number on the craft, I have both my quads tagged with name and number but hopefully it will never be needed.

I dont plan on flying this one, i was over it 1 hour after i lost it,
But it is such a cool story![emoji41]

Really great story and reminder to all of us - never delay marking up RC AC with phone# and/or AMA#. This goes to show majority of folks wish to reunite someone with their expensive lost property. As they would want, if tables were turned?

I’d steam clean that shell and wash PCB’s in alcohol - give it a good test, calibration and go flying for fun! House money (quad)…

You should give him a reward or something. Even if my Phantom was no longer working, i would still give him a reward. Nice people are extinct nowadays.

Very happy ending! I lost mine in July too, posted signs and someone called me saying it landed in their front yard! I mounted this Amazon.com: GPS Trackers, PeleusTech®TK102 Mini Spy Realtime GSM/GPRS/GPS Tracker navigation for Vehicle Car / Elderly / Children / Pets: GPS & Navigation in the center of the props and it fit perfectly. It's a handy thing to have because the find me feature only works until the connection is lost. I spent 5 hours looking in a valley and it was 2000 feet away. Lol

You're right nice people are extinct! Especially here in Iowa you can't force somebody to take a reward and they almost get offended that you ask, I'm included in that category.that's why I put a gift card for the local steakhouse in his mailbox this morning. It's easier that way than arguing with someone

I was recently flying and a few times I lost connection. I was able to keep flying, but all the info on my iPad was frozen. So it seemed to have RC connection working, but not wifi. It didn't do a RTH. So I assume it would do RTH only after the RC connection failed. It was scary though, not sure what was going to happen, so I just brought it back in. I was over water! If I felt confident about not loosing the RC connection I would have kept flying.

Am I correct in my assumptions as to what constitutes a RTH lost connection?

Correct losing telemetry/video or the app crashing does NOT cause it to RTH. It is only when you lose CONTROL connectivity that an RTH will take place. If you are way out & can't see the aircraft & don't know if you have lost control signal you can toggle S1 to position 3 to trigger RTH (assuming you have set it up in the Assistant) or just power off the controller & within 3 seconds RTH should engage.

I was recently flying and a few times I lost connection. I was able to keep flying, but all the info on my iPad was frozen. So it seemed to have RC connection working, but not wifi. It didn't do a RTH. So I assume it would do RTH only after the RC connection failed. It was scary though, not sure what was going to happen, so I just brought it back in. I was over water! If I felt confident about not loosing the RC connection I would have kept flying.

Am I correct in my assumptions as to what constitutes a RTH lost connection?

Great story, and shows how resilient these birds can be! My recently acquired P2V+ took a dive into a swimming pool and came out relatively fine, save for a couple of bad ESCs and one motor. But you already know THAT story!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj