Lost Drone. Be wise before anything happens.

Reaction score
Each time I look on the forum some poor sole has lost their drone. To stand a greater chance of getting it back invest in one of those labeling machines. Dirt cheap.

Then print out a few with your telephone number and the word reward. Eg :-

01334 4837267 Reward its cheaper to pay out a few £ or $ than start from scratch

Put the labels on batteries, the drone itself, the controller etc.

Its also a good idea to put a note on the SD Card. Simply write it on 'notepad' in windows. Save it as a TXT file. Then transfer it onto the SD card. Mine says something on the lines of :-

Thank you for finding my drone for me. I would be very relieved to have it back and will gladly give you a reward for your honesty. This drone is of no use or value without the matched controller. Please telephone me on 1234546789 and I will come and collect it. Thanks again.

Ok any controller will match the drone, but do not want to encourage, more, dishonesty do we. :)

The other reason people loose their drones is trying to fly it back against strong winds. I have flown my in quite strong winds but I try to fly it against the wind on the way out so it comes back quicker and safer.

Remember too that at different heights winds can blow at different strengths and even different directions!

Remember to set your RTH height well above the highest building, mountain, tree etc. Ok you may not intend to anywhere near them but who has not pushed the RTH in panic just to find it comes back from a different direction to what you would expect to see it. I know I have.

This is what I have done for my P3P, still awaiting a price drop on the P4P+

I feel sure there are other settings you can use on the P4P to ensure its return. Want to share them?

Hope this has been of some use to someone.

FrankC

You forgot to mention gps tracker it's a must have on any expensive drone.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

No I did not forget. Just cannot advise someone to do something I have not tried myself. There are lots out there its a problem ...........A. Finding the right one. B. Knowing where to mount it so it will not interfere with either the compass, GPS, or the balance etc. Been looking at the T39? but not sure where or how I would mount it.

You've got tracking with the maps if it goes down, litchi has even got find my drone in settings
Keep in mind that Litchi is only showing you the last recorded location. If the remote controller signal disconnects and your drone keeps flying for minutes after that, Litchi will have no idea where your drone is located. DJI GO has the same functionality via the built-in log viewer.

Reactions: Digital.Gods
Any indication of its probable location must be useful. Does anyone know of a good tracker and where you can position it?

Something like this? New Spy Mini Global Locator Real Time Car Kids Pet Tracker GSM GPRS GPS Tracking | eBay never used one so I do not know what they are like. Nor would I be sure of where I could put it without interfering with something. You would also have to have a special bracket made to hold it. Perhaps at the rear of the camera between the landing arms?

The one thing I will say though is do not waste your money on the bluetooth mini type. Total waste of money, unless you loose your keys in the house etc. VERY limited range.

Any indication of its probable location must be useful. Does anyone know of a good tracker and where you can position it?

Something like this? New Spy Mini Global Locator Real Time Car Kids Pet Tracker GSM GPRS GPS Tracking | eBay never used one so I do not know what they are like. Nor would I be sure of where I could put it without interfering with something. You would also have to have a special bracket made to hold it. Perhaps at the rear of the camera between the landing arms?

The one thing I will say though is do not waste your money on the bluetooth mini type. Total waste of money, unless you loose your keys in the house etc. VERY limited range.

I've yet to fly my new P4, but bought the Marco Polo after much research. What separates this from others is no cellular or GPS service is required. Also claims to have a 2 mile reach and will lead you to witching a couple feet from your bird.

Reactions: jlrsn and Frankc
I've yet to fly my new P4, but bought the Marco Polo after much research. What separates this from others is no cellular or GPS service is required. Also claims to have a 2 mile reach and will lead you to witching a couple feet from your bird.

Witching? Do you have to fly over to it on a broomstick? Seriously though thanks for the information. How do you attach the Marco Polo to the drone? I shall have to look this one up. :)

Each time I look on the forum some poor sole has lost their drone. To stand a greater chance of getting it back invest in one of those labeling machines. Dirt cheap.

01334 4837267 Reward its cheaper to pay out a few £ or $ than start from scratch

Its also a good idea to put a note on the SD Card. Simply write it on 'notepad' in windows. Save it as a TXT file. Then transfer it onto the SD card. Mine says something on the lines of :-

Thank you for finding my drone for me. I would be very relieved to have it back and will gladly give you a reward for your honesty. This drone is of no use or value without the matched controller. Please telephone me on 1234546789 and I will come and collect it. Thanks again.

Ok any controller will match the drone, but do not want to encourage, more, dishonesty do we. :)

The other reason people loose their drones is trying to fly it back against strong winds. I have flown my in quite strong winds but I try to fly it against the wind on the way out so it comes back quicker and safer.

Remember too that at different heights winds can blow at different strengths and even different directions!

Remember to set your RTH height well above the highest building, mountain, tree etc. Ok you may not intend to anywhere near them but who has not pushed the RTH in panic just to find it comes back from a different direction to what you would expect to see it. I know I have.

I feel sure there are other settings you can use on the P4P to ensure its return. Want to share them?

FrankC
This is really good info, thanks!

Reactions: Frankc

FrankC
Haha. I did the exact same on my old p3s. I put on it ( if lost please call ###-###-#### before my wife finds out) it worked. The guy called me in 10 mins laughing. I figured if a wife finds it she will laugh and probably call. And if a guy finds it then he can relate and probably call too. Just a idea.but definitely put your number on it either way

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Haha. I did the exact same on my old p3s. I put on it ( if lost please call ###-###-#### before my wife finds out) it worked. The guy called me in 10 mins laughing. I figured if a wife finds it she will laugh and probably call. And if a guy finds it then he can relate and probably call too. Just a idea.but definitely put your number on it either way

Now I like that idea! Proof that it works too. Great. These drones are too valuable too loose. Must try this myself. Thanks!

What do you use? I know there's a Bluetooth thing called tile. But it doesn't go far I don't think.

Don't bother with those tile things, or the TrackR device. Useful if you lost your keys and do not know where in the house you left them, it does not work every time then either. You need a GPS type. The Marco Polo tracker sounds just what we are looking for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan