Lost control of turning and forward, up-down still worked

Reaction score
Something very strange happened to me today.
Fist everything vent well than suddenly I realized I can not turn, can not go forward or back, but I still had control over the power. Lucky for me there was no wind managed to land right in my hand. I lost control in 40 meter high, I know that because I have one of those Altimeter recording device.
After landing turned off and back, started to fly in lower altitude, all good, than I went little higher than the same happened again. Landed the same way. I don't know now, do I dare to fly tomorrow. I used to go up 90 meter high without any problem.

As I searched the internet I found this site
http://www.photographybay.com/2013/07/2 ... d-cameras/
Gerry describing exactly the same:
"I was on my second day of flying the Phantom, I was enjoying it very much. Then it happen. I took off and started to climb, soon I realize that the phantom was not responding to my control inputs. It seem to respond only to up and down, but it was drifting away from me . I was in the Jungle , so it drifted and then descended into the trees in the distance . I lose my gopro black and my Video transmitter . We search and search but never found it. ."

Re: Lost control of turning and forward, up-down still worke

Check you limit settings. I just did the 4.0.2 upgrade and limit restrictions will cause symptoms you described.

EMCSQUAR said:
Check you limit settings. I just did the 4.0.2 upgrade and limit restrictions will cause symptoms you described.

I thought the problems described by the original poster were related to firmware 4.00 and was corrected in version 4.02. Has it been discovered version 4.02 create these problems too?

LJ35, EMCSQUAR, Buk
Thank you for the advise.

After my first post. I opened up the transmitter, could not see anything broken in it. I opened up the Phantom itself I had the feeling maybe something is pinching or loose inside.
Still running in Version 4.00
Did tuning and went out to fly.

First everything was well again than after 3 minutes my blood froze, the same thing happened, now the third time!!!
And this time it was windy and the wind was blowing toward houses.
Again I could not control turning forward and back, but still could control power. I thought this will be the end, the wind would blow it away, but it just wanted to come back to me. That even encouraged me to apply little power few times, it could hover or go up little, (never turning though) It landed in my hand in the very same spot where it took off.

At home after stopped shaking, I was thinking what change did I do lately. The latest think I did I installed in those Lithium AAA batteries. http://www.conrad.com/medias/global/ce/ ... S_1000.jpg
Replaced them with regular batteries, thought something and removed the Zenmuse gimbal.

Today I went out again, went much higher and flew longer than before yet did not loose control.
Now I have to think or the Lithium battery or the Zenmuse gimbal is the cause.
The Lithium have 6.8 Volt while the regular have no more than 6.2

Anyway it does not matter what I wish or think I want to prove the scientific way what is going on here.
Maybe my Zenmuse and GoPro went crazy? I want to find out.
Report coming.

Sounds like the 4.00 geofence bug.

Update your firmware to 4.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the 4.02 update. Calibration as usual.
I put back the Lithium battery to the transmitter.
Went to fly again. It went so well I thought I will push it to the limit.
Here is the graph recording
2013-10-29_fda.jpg

At 150 second happened again lost turning ability, but I observed that the yellow light was flashing like when the transmitter is turned off.
The Phantom was behaving like it lost signal. At 210 second I recovered the control.
It is very interesting that when I lost control it was 403 feet high. Next time I will try with the lower voltage transmitter battery.

My latest finding is that the Phantom simply looses signal.
When that happens it wants to come back to me.
So the problem is I keep on loosing signal, I lost signal at 90ft high, at 290 ft high and 195 ft high.
Even though I opened up the transmitter and resoldered all the connections I could.
By now I had to see loosing control six or seven times still scares me even though I experimented turning off the radio before.
I had it I am buying a T8J radio now.

There has been some talk online, surprised no one mentioned it here, that if one flies straight up above the Tx, you might lose signal....having to do with the antennas pointing straight at each other. Sounds as though you were doing exactly that if the bird descended right back to your hand.

Dunno....hasn't happened to me, but if true then, surprisingly, that is the most dangerous position to be in.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20