Lost control, darted off and crashed - Metal Bridge?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday I decided to launch from a quiet countryside bridge crossing a river in Weardale. About two seconds after take off and all safety and satellite checks being fine, I lost all control and my copter decided to fly across the river, into a tree and smash up on some rocks. The bridge I took off from was steel. I took off then instantly lost control. The copter swerved off to my right, diagonally downward, managed to cross the water, hit a tree then smashed off some rocks narrowly missing the river. Could the metal bridge have caused the crash? Anyone else had problems with metal / loss of control? Anyone else had this?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have had my P3P in PGPS as it neared a metal chiminea in the yard near where I was standing get squirrely and move erratically. I was returning from over a lake.

I suspect, in my case, the trees behind me blocked sats and the compass became confused near the metal and it seemed to move without stick commands the wrong way.

Reactions: richmix
Mine seemed to happen around the same number, 6-8 sats.

However I've had no real issues since.
I have had intermittent compass interference warnings in the past at that spot over several months.

Hi all,

Yesterday I decided to launch from a quiet countryside bridge crossing a river in Weardale. About two seconds after take off and all safety and satellite checks being fine, I lost all control and my copter decided to fly across the river, into a tree and smash up on some rocks. The bridge I took off from was steel. I took off then instantly lost control. The copter swerved off to my right, diagonally downward, managed to cross the water, hit a tree then smashed off some rocks narrowly missing the river. Could the metal bridge have caused the crash? Anyone else had problems with metal / loss of control? Anyone else had this?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You had a compass error right from the start of that flight. Your on a bridge and under that concrete is not rebar but steel I beams. Hope that makes sense to you now.

You had a compass error right from the start of that flight. Your on a bridge and under that concrete is not rebar but steel I beams. Hope that makes sense to you now.
Thanks Jason. Yes, fully understand. Learned the hard way!

Thanks Jason. Yes, fully understand. Learned the hard way!

You never mentioned if you had a full FPV system on board. If you had the iOSD has an icon that would be flashing on/off because of all the iron in that bridge

You never mentioned if you had a full FPV system on board. If you had the iOSD has an icon that would be flashing on/off because of all the iron in that bridge
Full FPV, no errors, 7 satellites, full battery

Full FPV, no errors, 7 satellites, full battery

The GPS error icon is a flashing diamond at the very bottom of the screen. Try it out by setting the P2 on the trunk of you car with everything power up.
There is also an icon for NFZ in the same place on the screen.

The GPS error icon is a flashing diamond at the very bottom of the screen. Try it out by setting the P2 on the trunk of you car with everything power up.
There is also an icon for NFZ in the same place on the screen.
Nothing flashing, no unusual icons. Standard flight. Until take off!

Nothing flashing, no unusual icons. Standard flight. Until take off!

My mistake I said GPS and the error icons are for compass and no fly zones.. Try it out by turning everything on and setting the P2 on the trunk of your car.

Hi I'm new to this forum as well new to phantom 2 world. It was my 4th or 5th flight. Well to the topic I went to fly yesterday in nice and open area had 9 satellite locked in. I had first 6 min flight went to height of 100 meter as well 100 meter distance all went well. It was second time as soon as I start fly I notice it's hard to go up it went about 35 meters high and started to come down even when I try to take it up. It came down about 20 ft and free fall from there. As it wasn't too high not much damage to phantom body but as props continue to spin it broke all 4 propellers. I have no idea why that happened.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi I'm new to this forum as well new to phantom 2 world. It was my 4th or 5th flight. Well to the topic I went to fly yesterday in nice and open area had 9 satellite locked in. I had first 6 min flight went to height of 100 meter as well 100 meter distance all went well. It was second time as soon as I start fly I notice it's hard to go up it went about 35 meters high and started to come down even when I try to take it up. It came down about 20 ft and free fall from there. As it wasn't too high not much damage to phantom body but as props continue to spin it broke all 4 propellers. I have no idea why that happened.

Was the phantom 2 new or used???

Sorry for late reply. It's a used ph2

Sorry for late reply. It's a used ph2

Do you have the software for both the RC controller and the P2? If so the first thing I would be to charge the battery and when fully charged put it into the P2 and check it using the P2 software. What you want to know is how many times it has been charged. what current and voltage for all three cells are

Before charging

Barttery #2 before charging.jpg

After charging
Barttery #2 after charging.jpg

New Battery
New Battery Screenshot.jpg

The current values in the second screenshot are not that great and would maybe only have a flight time of 6 minutes or less. The current means a lot more then those voltage reading. In fact that battery actually failed in flight. If you're flying without a complete FPV system you are taking a risk each time you fly because you have no knowledge of the batteries condition while in the air.

I'm gonna check it out and thanks for replying asI really needed help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic