Lost control. Again.

Reaction score
Thank You DJI

Ok, it would be long :)

I bought p2 with H3-3D. Everything was fine till this day: http://youtu.be/38-15i0ri4k. First thought - ok, probably my fault, maybe not enough satellites, lack of experience... Bla bla bla. In effect of this crash I had to send gimbal for service. I had bought another one H3-3D.

And everything was fine till this day:
http://youtu.be/zND7QI7EywE

Gps mode, 10 satellites, all green, go. I feel phantom pulls left and up. Want to get back and land, only slows it a little bit. I switch to atti - nothing, no reaction. Luckly (or not) it reacts and I can only change height avoid crashing into railway traction. Then I switch to manual - no reaction, so I turn off the radio - no reaction as well. It falls into a field of corn. It was exactly the same maneuver that You can see on the first video! Something like hook at full speed. After hour it's getting dark and I give up. Today I've found it.

http://pokazywarka.pl/7iaot1/

WTF? How do You think, it has something to do with that:
http://youtu.be/2Yh-PLo52Pc

What am I supposed to do now? Some advices? Send it back to DJI? How can I prove it was not my fault?

I don't want to fly it any more, when it is so
unpredictable. I had a plan to use it for work, but in this case it's too risky. Not mention that I spent over 1100€ for DJI's products.

What do You think about that story?

twistedme said:
so I turn off the app

What app? If you're using the gopro app on a phone/tablet then that's the cause of your issue, the wifi broadcasting from the camera will drown out the Phantom's control signal once you get more than 30ft or so away.

Please take a look at the first video, the same situation in the woods, at least 1 km only grass and trees. I had maybe 30 or 40 flights in this area (from the second crash) +- 200m and was always without problems.

Seeing people flying in the center of the city's (metal, wi-fi etc.) without any problems, I don't think the railway from 10 meters may disturb compass. That more like the gps problem to me.

twistedme said:
Please take a look at the first video, the same situation in the woods, at least 1 km only grass and trees. I had maybe 30 or 40 flights in this area (from the second crash) +- 200m and was always without problems.

Ok, don't get upset, we're just trying to help you sort this out, but here come the questions.

We need to know what your compass values are.

Sorry. I'm trying to clear up the situation. I'm not upset :)

The first crash in the woods was at 20.06, the second yesterday. Between this dates I had over 50 successful flights. Most of them in this exact area. I plug the phantom at least once a week and check everything is alright. Till yesterday wasn't any abnormal symptoms.

I noticed in the video you just took off without waiting to see if the compass was oriented, you are to take the quad to approximately Ten feet and wait to see if there is any drifting, if so the compass must be calibrated....just saying

Joeg1937 said:
I noticed in the video you just took off without waiting to see if the compass was oriented,

This is exactly what happened :) On the video it goes by itself and i am trying to get it back.
"Gps mode, 10 satellites, all green, go. I feel phantom pulls left and up. Want to get back and land, only slows it a little bit."

twistedme said:
Sorry. I'm trying to clear up the situation. I'm not upset :)

The first crash in the woods was at 20.06, the second yesterday. Between this dates I had over 50 successful flights. Most of them in this exact area. I plug the phantom at least once a week and check everything is alright. Till yesterday wasn't any abnormal symptoms.

I understand, but it appears like you're experiencing some sort of compass issue. We really need to know the compass mod values. Can you connect your Phantom to the Asst Software and post your compass information?

Of course, this are my values.

12254336.jpg

twistedme said:
Of course, this are my values.

12254336.jpg

Well nothing wrong there. Have you forced a calibration?

As Carl said the compass Mod value looks to be correct, as long as it stays at or close to that number and doesn't jump around. 1600 is within the ideal range for that number. I'm not really sure what else the cause could be, the flight behavior you experience usually points to compass/GPS conflicts.

If it were my Phantom, the next step I would take would be to remove all non-essential gear (particularly the gimbal and FPV too if you have it) and see if it still flies as poorly.

The point is, that it usually flies very good. Since I bought it, I have made something like 80 flights or more. Two of them ended up like You saw. I have noticed TBE maybe 10 times.

And that bothers me most. That my phantom is unpredictable, what makes it useless for me, because in this situation I can only fly in forest or meadow. I don't want even think what would happen if this "lost of control" took place in the city.

Thank You Guys for your time. I will do some experiments with compass, maybe buy new one. And get back to original landing gear. Now I have this installed:

http://www.amazon.com/Hobbypower-Landin ... B00IGRYODS

But I carefuly measured the distans and installed compas on exactly same place.

twistedme said:
The point is, that it usually flies very good. Since I bought it, I have made something like 80 flights or more. Two of them ended up like You saw. I have noticed TBE maybe 10 times.

And that bothers me most. That my phantom is unpredictable, what makes it useless for me, because in this situation I can only fly in forest or meadow. I don't want even think what would happen if this "lost of control" took place in the city.

Thank You Guys for your time. I will do some experiments with compass, maybe buy new one. And get back to original landing gear. Now I have this installed:

http://www.amazon.com/Hobbypower-Landin ... B00IGRYODS

But I carefuly measured the distans and installed compas on exactly same place.

Can you take a pic of the compass mounted on there for us?

OI Photography said:
Can you take a pic of the compass mounted on there for us?

I think we just got a whole lot warmer.

Try sliding it a bit further down the leg so the flat square face of the compass module you see there is exactly perpendicular to the ground (straight up and down), it looks like it's a few degrees off from that. Then recalibrate the compass and see if the issue returns.

Evidence has shown that the vertical alignment of the compass is more crucial than the exact distance from the body or the NAZA.

twistedme said:
Is this quality enough to see potential problem? I can make a better picture when I will be at home.

That looks ok to me. Thought we might see a photo of it mounted to that curved section.

In saying that even the slightest angle seems to affect these things so I would definitely try with the original landing gear back on and do another compass calibration away from any interference.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4