Lost connection / RTH / Airdata & Flight Log. Some help please.

Reaction score
Hi,

Could you have a look at my Airdata log here Flight Log here

Any ideas / opinions on why the bird is doing an RTH? Why it's losing connection etc.

Its not "that far" from me at the home point and I have a clear los with no obstacles in between.

Thanks for any help & opinions that may be offered.

Last edited:
A quick look suggests that you had multiple connection issues either caused by inteference in your area or less than perfect antenna orientation during flight. An extended loss of signal (control) will initiate RTH. If possible, try another flying area and replicate the height and distance of that particular flight to see if you have any improvements. Airdata is not the ideal flight log to pinpoint problems with your drone.
Try this link if you want to upload a more detailed description of your flight:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Link to phantom log viewer here

What kind of interference in the area would cause this? The home point is in the dunes with the beach and sea just in front of me. Very few buildings no towers etc.

I was facing the bird with the antenna's in the correct position.

Thanks Tevek for your comments & info, have uploaded the birds flight log.

I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Apart from the initial Class C warning, there is little to indicate what is going on with your flight. Multiple signal losses during the flight explain the RTH issues, and I was thinking that your height at some of the downlink warnings was possibly low given the distance from home point. You were flying at approx. 30 mtrs height at a distance of approx. 500 mtrs which may account for some of your signal losses given the trees/bushes you were flying over (10m25s). Similarly at 4m33s, over the beach, you were at approx. 30 mtrs in height and 700 mtrs from home point which might be an issue for good signal connection. I understand that the google map is not current, but there are quite a few buildings along the beach front which may generate a whole bunch of interference when flying your drone, I would be curious to see the results of flying the same route at a higher elevation. With all the signal disconnects, did you notice a drop in control signal during the flight on the app that may have alerted you to loss of signal?

Hi Tevek,

There was no loss of control until the RTH. Where I was sitting / home point was above the bushes and the few small beach hut buildings on the way over the beach and flight along the beach / water edge.

When RTH kicked in the bird climbed to 80 metres turned around and began to come home. I cancelled RTH took control @ 80 metres turned the bird around and began flying in my original direction. Within a few metres of turning round RTH kicked in again and I cancelled and flew home manually.

When I returned to around home point and flew behind it over bushes and some small ponds, that area was above my home point and could easily have been the cause of loss of signal there, as there wasn't clear line of sight between the controller and the bird.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Tevek,

There was no loss of control until the RTH. Where I was sitting / home point was above the bushes and the few small beach hut buildings on the way over the beach and flight along the beach / water edge.

When RTH kicked in the bird climbed to 80 metres turned around and began to come home. I cancelled RTH took control @ 80 metres turned the bird around and began flying in my original direction. Within a few metres of turning round RTH kicked in again and I cancelled and flew home manually.

When I returned to around home point and flew behind it over bushes and some small ponds, that area was above my home point and could easily have been the cause of loss of signal there, as there wasn't clear line of sight between the controller and the bird.

Thanks again for your help.
No worries, good luck for the future. Both Airdata and the phantom log show disconnects so something is going on. Before I switched to a boosted FPVLR set up, the original antennas had to be fairly spot on and flying overhead unless you lay your antennas horizontal with the ground always resulted in signal disconnect. I no longer have that problem.

Maybe time to consider a change to my stock setup. Many thanks for your help Tevek.

All the best to you.

Reactions: tevek

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj