lost connection, going home...... went the opposite way!!!!

Reaction score
How on earth has this happened?
Flying my phantom vision 2 near to where I live around 200 ft and it stated on my phone lost connection. Then going home..... well I paused and guess what??? It went the opposite way started to descend. I got in my car and drove around the corner. I noticed it had landed and in the grass somewhere..... stopped my car and tried to take off. It wouldn't start. ... got out of my car, popped my head over the wall and bang it was there...... fewwww.

I updated the firmware on the phantom last night.

Anyone had this? Anyone have any idea what's gone on?

Re: lost connection, going home...... went the opposite way

Foxy said:
How on earth has this happened?
Flying my phantom vision 2 near to where I live around 200 ft and it stated on my phone lost connection. Then going home..... well I paused and guess what??? It went the opposite way started to descend. I got in my car and drove around the corner. I noticed it had landed and in the grass somewhere..... stopped my car and tried to take off. It wouldn't start. ... got out of my car, popped my head over the wall and bang it was there...... fewwww.

I updated the firmware on the phantom last night.

Anyone had this? Anyone have any idea what's gone on?

Lost connection on your phone?? You didn't have a GoPro on it with the WiFi turned on did you? If so, that was why.

It was the P2V so no GoPro

That's what it said. Gopro, what's that? Wifi was on. Have I missed something?

Distance between where it took off vs. where it landed? My guess is it had minimal GPS data when it recorded the home location.

Thanks Ian. So how would I know and be able to confirm the home position? Just before I found it I clicked on the bit find my phantom but it said no flight data recorded. I have to say it landed perfect and a ft away from the wall....

Each time you power on the quad, give it enough time to record it's home position and acquire enough satellites prior to taking off. The longest I've waited was almost 1 minute on a fairly cloudy day.

Thank you. Is there a way to find out and confirm it has registered?

I was nearly divorced with this fiasco. . Ha ha

Foxy said:

The flashing LED pattern on the Phantom will tell you if it has GPS lock.
You need to read the manual carefully before flying again.

Foxy said:

Unfortunately I have a Phantom 1.1.1. I'm sure it is different for yours, but for mine I do the following:

1. Always power on transmitter first and this is for GPS mode
2. Plug in battery, insert battery into quad, and close the battery door
3. Go to the *back* of the quad and watch the led light in the middle.
4. Once the Led flashes green like 10 times really fast it marks the home location
5. I wait for a consistent green flash to show it has ample satellites.
6. Take off!
Note: someone step 5 happens before step 4

Edit: #3 meant to say back

2trickpony said:
Foxy said:

The flashing LED pattern on the Phantom will tell you if it has GPS lock.
You need to read the manual carefully before flying again.

Agreed. You need to understand what the lights mean so you aren't in the air wondering what it means.

Thank you all. That is one thing I have always done... maybe not this time.

So the question now is can you gps lock (get home position) during a flight? If yes this would then explain why it went away from me paused as it should then landed

Foxy said:
Thank you all. That is one thing I have always done... maybe not this time.

So the question now is can you gps lock (get home position) during a flight? If yes this would then explain why it went away from me paused as it should then landed

viewtopic.php?t=234
Might shed some more info for you.

I always run in NAZA-M mode (why wouldn't you?) and this is the sequence which has not failed me:
1. Do a compass cal if necessary.
2. With it powered off, place P2V on the ground facing the right-stick-forward direction you want for course lock.
3. With both S1 and S2 in the topmost positions, power on the controller first, the extender second, and the P2V third. NOW WATCH THE P2V FLIGHT LEDs!!!
4. The flight LEDs will blink a fast green sequence when the course direction is stored. This happens in the first 15-20 seconds for me. Then they return to either slow flashing green indicating >= 6 satellites, or an alternating red-red-red-green, red-red-green, red-green, if < 6 satellites.
5. The flight LEDs will blink a fast green sequence again when home position is stored. This will only occur after >= 6 satellites, so it will then return to slow flashing green. This may take up to a minute depending on your satellite visibility. DO NOT TAKE OFF UNLESS YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU HAVE THE HOME POSITION ESTABLISHED!!
6. If you looked away and are not sure if you got the home position, you can re-establish home with rapid switching (5 to 10) of S2 from position 1 to 3. You will know it got another home position because the lights will flash rapid green then return to slow green.
7. During steps 4,5, and maybe 6, or after, you can establish the wifi connection to the extender on your FPV device and run the app if not already running.
8. Once you have verified all is OK in the app, perform the CSC, and take off quickly. Meaning don't be a wuss about leaving the ground. Just pop it up quickly and hover, or just race away in whatever direction you intend.

This method has not failed me, and the P2V followed the correct course and home lock paths, and RTHed to the correct location when needed.

This is not exhaustive as to what you can do, but it works for me. Hope this helps someone.

MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
kydan said:
Foxy said:
Tr
3. Go to the front of the quad and watch the led light in the middle.

wouldnt that actually be the BACK of the quad? nitpicking here, sorry

Thanks I fixed it!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20