Lost! B/c RTH speed?

Reaction score
Is there any way to find a lost vision plus? Updated firmware lastnight and flew it out like normal. Except the return to home only flew the drone 10.2 mph. The last know distance was 4800' away and 128' altitude. No tracker. The drone only flew at 10 mph home causing the battery to die before it could make it the distance back. Sucks! Yes, I should have known better and bought a flytrex but I didnt. Any insight? any possibilities?
Thanks

Re: Lost!

Check your Vision app on the iPhone/Android. Go to settings there is a line called "Find my PHANTOM 2 VISION. Click it. A pin will appear at the last "known" location of your Phantom.

If your Phantom stayed in contact until it auto-descended (hard to believe at 4800 feet), it will show you on a map exactly where.

Happy hunting.

Just curious why it flew at 10 mph. Is that the normal speed for RTH, or was there a head wind?
Best of luck locating it.

Ya ... I dont know why it only flew at 10 mph. Usually it fly's at 17 mph then I regain control and haul a$$ home. This time was different the 'bird' just acted different all together.

I went to find my 'find my phantom' and it threw a location that it could be ... but further than I thought. When I went tromping around the woods in that area obviously I didnt find anything. Also, when I access the app and find my phantom at the site it just followed my location. The blue dot moved where I moved, so I dont know how reliable it is. ugh!

The blue dot is the phone location. There should be a red pin that marks the Phantom location.

I actually see the pin marker now. Looked in that area, but of course it is the heaviest thickest brush around. I guess I will try and go back another time. :(

Follow the "Find My Phantom" until the red & blue markers merge. Then start looking. Bring a pair of binoculars. Mine was right above my head but it was nestled into the canopy so tightly I could not see it and only after 20 minutes slow-scanning every branch with the binoculars did I manage to spot it!

Yeah that feature shows the last time your quad transmitted to the gps. So you quad should be close since it was not at a high altitude. I lost of these quads this year so I know how you are feeling. Good luck!

Ya it absolutely sucks. Of course it was my best distance flight. On that flight I went 12,800 ft with full FPV. Once I lost it ... flipped the switch and waited. After a few minutes my tele came up 8900' distance at 468ft altitude and 42% battery left flying at 10.2 mph. I knew I was screwed... I never regained FPV only tele and started blinking red at 4800' so I descended down to below 200' anticipating it dropping out of the sky. That was the last I seen it. I wish I had GPS coordinates of its location because where it is showing it is does seem line of sight back but it shows it in the middle of the street. I went in that area and lots of trees. I will continue to look.

FYI - I dont think I'm going to buy another one ... I want to push em too far. Not sure I can handle losing another one. Look soon on Ebay... for stage 4 remote side only for sale with FPVLR 12.5 dbi LHCP and both sunhans 2.4 and 5.8 with battery pack. Oh ya... I still have FPVLR special edition custom made 2.4 ghz microspheres.... man this sucks!

See pic below for lost drone image....

Attachments

• 8.jpeg
    8.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 729

If you were still receiving telemetry then you still had enough of a Wi-Fi connection to show your "Last Seen" location. Get your butt out their and track down your bird! :cool:

Keep in mind that the app is displaying groundspeed as calculated from the GPS info. So if you are flying into a headwind it will display a lower speed.

I can recall being in a Cessna 172 flying to Houston from Austin directly into the stiff SE wind. Airspeed indicator said 115 knots and watching the cars on the freeway run away from me !!

What Mr Bird said, it's only time you are using up, we can spare some of that

Honestly what were you thinking, make a happy day of it then let us know the good news, you need an uppercut :)

Dirty Bird said:
If you were still receiving telemetry then you still had enough of a Wi-Fi connection to show your "Last Seen" location. Get your butt out their and track down your bird! :cool:

I have looked for 2.5 hours so far. I hear what your saying, but this location is absolutely horrendous. I will continue to look...

it doesnt help that I looked in the wrong location for 1.5 prior to actually finding this pin drop on the android tablet. Last night I tried finding it with the android tablet and the iphone. Android is the one with the pin mark.
So it it was 200 ft up and dropped do you think the pin mark is the resting place or just a mark before it died? I am thinking this thing dropped with some battery left and then the battery fell out. So how far off was your pin drop from your 'copter?

Just to clarify ... I lost it last night at 9pm. Had to be in the clinic working 7am-3... went in my dress clothes tromping in the woods on way home. Then went home changed and went back into the woods. I just got out of shower and just wanted to ask on the forum that I am doing everything possible. Bahaha to the uppercut. ... already got a punch to the balls ..

Make sure you are using the device that was last in contact with the Phantom before it was lost. Each device will show the last place the Phantom was when it was in contact with it.

Find the red pin on the device you last used. Go there. Find it. If not, PM me. I'll make you an offer on your equipment, but I'd rather see you find the **** thing!

SilentAV8R - really .... ? Technically I could see a red faint dot on the horizon when I was flying... maybe... There is a speeding limit too and people speed. Pick your battles ... preferably in someone else's post if it doesn't pertain to 'finding a lost drone' your comments are the last thing I want to hear right now.

And you wonder what if scenario? At least I would know where my drone is because of the bystandards insurance/lawsuit claim. (remember I dont live in California)

DrJoe said:
Make sure you are using the device that was last in contact with the Phantom before it was lost. Each device will show the last place the Phantom was when it was in contact with it.

Find the red pin on the device you last used. Go there. Find it. If not, PM me. I'll make you an offer on your equipment, but I'd rather see you find the **** thing!

Ya I know me too!

Is it possible there was a strong headwind making the RTH speed so slow? I have never seen it go that slow (with 3.06 and earlier). About 13mph in medium strong wind. If they have reduced the RTH speed that much I guess I can't really upgrade. It's already too slow. ****.

I wish I could try it out and tell ya! Someone else will have to. All I know it it screwed me (plus my own judgement). I checked the wind speed and it was 2-8mph which IMO is nothing. The RTH feature was SLOW for some reason

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj