Lost all GPS

Reaction score
I had something strange happen the other day. I had all green lights. Just before I took off, props spinning, I got a compass error. I tried to shut her down, but she would turn off. The engines revved when I pushed down and to the center. In the past when I've not been able to turn her off I go up 2 or 3 get and land again. I did this and she went up about 15 get and came down hard. I did gun the engine at the last minute and the only damage was the gimbal guard came off and the lender popped loose. Later I popped the gimbal guard on and pushed the lender back on.

After she hurt the ground she flew up and 30 feet and I lost all control. After looking at the logs I found that I had no satellites. So when I let off of the stock she fell. If I pushed forward she keep going like in atti mode.

It had veered over water. Luckily she went high because I was able to figure out how to fly like that. I was able to get her back over grass and land softly.

Now she flies fine. Has this happened to anyone else?

cbrownknox I am a bit confused. Can you explain a bit more?
I had something strange happen the other day. I had all green lights. Just before I took off, props spinning, I got a compass error. I tried to shut her down, but she would turn off.
Isn't this the same?
Or do you mean she wouldn't turn off?

The engines revved when I pushed down and to the center. In the past when I've not been able to turn her off I go up 2 or 3 get and land again. I did this and she went up about 15 get and came down hard.
They motors started after the CSC command?
I would not attempt to fly with a compass error.

I did gun the engine at the last minute and the only damage was the gimbal guard came off and the lender popped loose.
What does gun and lender mean here?

Reactions: Pharm
First thing that happened is I couldn't get the props to stop spinning. Thinking back I should have just let the battery die. I pushed the sticks down and to the inside and the engines revved up but didn't turn off.

I knew I shouldn't fly but I thought I could go up a foot and land. That usually turned off the engine. That is when it went haywire.

Lender=lens. That is simply because I didn't proofread my post. :)

Does that more sense?

Reactions: rene van der meer
2 ways to shut off

CSC and it should shut down right away, unless it's a P4 in which case a CSC doesn't work
Hold the left stick fully down for 3 seconds.

Never do a CSC if the engines have been revved a bit as it can cause tip over

First thing that happened is I couldn't get the props to stop spinning. Thinking back I should have just let the battery die. I pushed the sticks down and to the inside and the engines revved up but didn't turn off.

I knew I shouldn't fly but I thought I could go up a foot and land. That usually turned off the engine. That is when it went haywire.

Lender=lens. That is simply because I didn't proofread my post. :)

Does that more sense?

Yep. Never both sticks down and in to turn off.
Left stick only hold down to turn off.

You said you pushed both sticks down and to the center and it didn't shut off. Did you hold them for the required 3 seconds? It used to be instant but now there's a 3 second delay. In addition, as stated, the way to shut down is left stick only, straight down, hold until shutdown (also approx 3 sec delay). I've had an occasional compass error. Restarted in different location and problem solved. Had one GPS loss in flight. Flew it back and landed. No instance of the Phantom climbing on its own, etc.

The bigger issue was the total loss of GPS. Has that happened to others before.

Yes total loss of GPS is not that uncommon for many fliers on occasion - it's not great, but experienced pilots will know to practice Attitude mode (ATTI) flying deliberately, simulating loss of GPS, so that one knows how to handle AC safety if it happens. I can't tell you why you lost GPS, I can tell you it should generally not be an unmanageable problem - sounds like (from your flight symptom description) panic may have crept in and over compensated flight controls, it takes practice. Good to hear you avoided water though - that was the primary risk I imagine & you avoided it.

I'd say more surprise than panic. When you're expecting it to stop and keeps going, it is a bit scary.

I have practiced ATTI mode before. I'll certainly practice more.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Great to know there is a great group of people so willing to help each other.

I'd say more surprise than panic. When you're expecting it to stop and keeps going, it is a bit scary.

I have practiced ATTI mode before. I'll certainly practice more.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Great to know there is a great group of people so willing to help each other.
It seems you are lucky with only minor damage. I have seen with a P3A after it flipped onto the grass, that CSC sometimes doesn't work. Removing the battery was the only way to kill the motors.
You are right. Practicing under ideal conditions can safe a crash later.
Happy flying. :)

It happened to me I took off all green lights didn't calibrate had stability problems - Instead of landing - I gained elevation blaming the instability on the high winds . When I got above the trees the wind did take over and the P34k flew about 800 ft west I still had video signal but lost sight and sound of the bird all origination was confusing to me about a half panic situation. Somehow I hit the go home button without any help from that feature I looked at the distance and elevation elevation first about 300 feet above everything is good - start hitting the right stick 800' 810' 820' wrong way push the stick the other way 810 ' 800' 775' good keep going that way until you can see or hear the bird then was able to land safely. Haven't flown since so IDK what will happen next flight we will see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1