Lost all flight information - says no SD card

woj

Reaction score
I've had about 30 flights now with my PV and have had no major issues (invalid battery happened once). Today when I went for a flight I started up as I normally do however this time - all info such as satellites, battery, SD card were grayed out, and all info on the bottom was N/A. The camera was still transmitting the picture to my Galaxy S4, and I could still control the gimbal both by pressing the arrows and with the tilt feature. When pressing either the button to take the picture or video, it said no SD card. I have the exact same SD card that I have been using the whole time. I cannot reformat the card from the app, as it still says "no SD card". I also tried two other SD cards with the exact same result. I have restarted everything multiple times also with the same result.

All of my firmware, app, cam, everything is up to the most current version.

I've searched the forum and saw only one related topic but that user lost the picture completely and had to rebind. I have not tried to rebind yet, and hope not to have to unless that is the answer. I don't want to make anything worse.

I decided to fly and stay close regardless of the cam not working. However, I also noticed that even though I had the green lights that indicate GPS lock, my PV seemed to wander a bit more while hovering than it did yesterday - as thought it didn't have GPS lock. My latest compass calibration was only a couple days ago.

I am open to suggestions. I bought my PV from B&H November 29th.

-woj

Odd… Perhaps you could try updating receiver firmware?

If you have formatted the card with the DJI app before, maybe you could try a camera firmware update again? I'm hesitant to suggest that, however, since it has been reported to brick some cameras. But at this point, what do you have to lose? <shrug>

I actually have never formatted with the app before. I usually just do it on my laptop. At one point I remember getting a message saying the card was full, even though I usually cut and paste everything on it to my laptop. The card read as if the data was still there - a reformat fixed that. I have reformatted my SD cards on my laptop multiple times for use the PV with no issues.

I just tried your suggestion a few minutes ago. However, the camera didn't update with the latest bin file. Almost like the camera didn't attempt to read the card as it would during a normal update. It blinked yellow for maybe 2 seconds before it went green. If I remember correctly, the last camera update took a bit longer than that. I then checked to see if the bin file had the .bak extension on my laptop, and it did not, further suggesting that the camera didn't try to read the card.

I see the date of the file of the first and current update that was done to my camera was Jan 20th. The latest link to the camera update has what looks like a date of Jan 26th. When did DJI pull the link for the original 1.1.9? After reading about the bricking of cameras with the first version of 1.1.9 I thought that may be the case. However, I don't consider it bricked just yet as I can still see an image and can control the gimbal. I've had 12 flights since I updated the camera to shoot DNG on Jan 20th with no issues up until yesterday - no crashes, no hard landings, nothing.

Have you tried restarting the S4?
Have you tried a different SD card on it?

AFAIK the FC-200 camera won't start up at all without an SD card.
Since yours started up just fine, it may be a defective card (or a corrupted card that just needs a reformat)

same thing happen to me . . .
I had/have a bad control board on my vision. . SUCKS!!
also, check (might have to open up the casing of the vision) but check the pigtail wire going from the camera to the inside. Mine got loose ( I think while putting it in and out of the case). I got that wire fixed, so now I can see my camera on my phone, and it now shows an SD card. However, all telemetry is gone, as well as battery indication, GPS information, ect. But I can control the camera.
Just a start. Good luck.

LeoS said:

Since yours started up just fine, it may be a defective card (or a corrupted card that just needs a reformat)

FIXED! I restarted my phone this morning and setup like I normally would - and all flight data was back. I had tried multiple SD cards yesterday to no avail but hadn't restarted my phone (Galaxy S4). Thank you LeoS for the suggestion!

I then attempted to enter compass calibration mode just in case but could not get the lights to go solid yellow. I found that I may have been too close to the PV when I was flipping the S1 switch up and down. I backed off about 20 ft, flipped the switch and had a successful compass cal.

Whitelens - try restarting your phone and give an update. I hope it is something as simple as that.

woj said:
LeoS said:

Since yours started up just fine, it may be a defective card (or a corrupted card that just needs a reformat)[/quo

FIXED! I restarted my phone this morning and setup like I normally would - and all flight data was back. I had tried multiple SD cards yesterday to no avail but hadn't restarted my phone (Galaxy S4). Thank you LeoS for the suggestion!

I then attempted to enter compass calibration mode just in case but could not get the lights to go solid yellow. I found that I may have been too close to the PV when I was flipping the S1 switch up and down. I backed off about 20 ft, flipped the switch and had a successful compass cal.

Whitelens - try restarting your phone and give an update. I hope it is something as simple as that.

Glad you got yours working . .mine has actually been bench tested by an authorized service center and was found that my board is bad . . . I wish mine was that easy of a fix. happy flying

woj said:
LeoS said:

I'm glad that worked for you!

Sometimes the connection between the app and the camera can be off and it doesn't reconnect properly as they should. Either the telemetry works and the video doesn't, or vice versa.

I have a dedicated ipad mini that I use for mine and I just shut it down when I'm not flying, so I start fresh every time I fly. It's one less thing to worry about that way..

I had the exact same problem as woj today. I have flown over 40 flights with no problems. Turned it on today, no telemetry, no SD card warning, but the camera feed still worked. I got the green blinking lights so I decided to take it up. Flew as normal and held very steady in GPS mode. The only problem is that it's a bit disconcerting flying without the comfort of all the telemetry, especially the battery warnings. I came home and got on the forum to see if I could find if anyone else had this problem. Found this discussion within 5 minutes. I tried restarting my Galaxy S3 phone and everything is working again. Thanks LeoS for the timely suggestion! :D

Just an FYI, DJI recommends restarting the app before you fly. Using an iPad mini on iOS6 I've never had a problem with the DJI app acting up, but that may not hold true for iOS7 or other devices (eg a lot of chatter about iPhone5 issues) or platforms (Android).

I look at it like this, if I start experiencing issues with the app losing full function & display, not reconnecting after loss of FPV, then restarting the app will become part of my preflight. For some, that may even extend to restarting your device. There are so many variables it really comes down to whatever works best for you, and once you figure that out you should be good to go.

iDrone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers