Loss of video before rc

Reaction score
I just got a p3a a few weeks ago and haven't really gotten to fly it much due to weather. But what I've noticed the few times I've flown is that I always lose the video before the rc signal and in one case totally lost video and app said aircraft disconnected but it didn't kick in to rth(yes the apps set to rth in signal loss)I ended up have to walk up the hill to regain signal and fly it back.i seem to be getting pretty good range but it concerns me that if I'm out really far and lose signal and it doesn't rth then what do I do. My question is is it normal to lose video first?also if the app says aircraft disconnected will the manual rth button work?

My question is is it normal to lose video first?
Yes.

if the app says aircraft disconnected will the manual rth button work?
The RTH button on the remote controller will only work if the remote controller is still connected to the Phantom. After the remote controller is disconnected for 3+ seconds, RTH will be automatically initiated.

Reactions: Pharm
You want to lose VIDEO first... this allows you a brief moment to STOP and come back while still having some signal. At least that's my preference.

Reactions: Pharm
Yes.

The RTH button on the remote controller will only work if the remote controller is still connected to the Phantom. After the remote controller is disconnected for 3+ seconds, RTH will be automatically initiated.

Msinger if RTH is initiated automatically after being disconnected for 3 seconds and then u were to hit the RTH button on RC will that cancel RTH?

if RTH is initiated automatically after being disconnected for 3 seconds and then u were to hit the RTH button on RC will that cancel RTH?
It would cancel the RTH if you press the RTH button after the remote controller reconnects while the Phantom is flying home.

Xxxntnv,

If you really want to test Auto RTH functionality, do the following:

Set RTH height to 150'
Set RTH as return to home in case of loss of signal
Fly at a distance of 200' and height of 50'

Now Switch of RC
Wait for 3 seconds

You aircraft should ascend up to 150' and then return back home point and land.

If this happens, your settings are ok and nothing to worry else check your settings.

Yes.

That was the problem the app said disconnected but the phantom never initiated rth,I'm wondering if I still had rc just no video,the light on the radio was red so I assumed it lost all signal. After waiting at least 30 seconds I started walking towards it and regained signal and the phantom was still hovering where I lost video.

Xxxntnv,

If you really want to test Auto RTH functionality, do the following:

Set RTH height to 150'
Set RTH as return to home in case of loss of signal
Fly at a distance of 200' and height of 50'

Now Switch of RC
Wait for 3 seconds

You aircraft should ascend up to 150' and then return back home point and land.

If this happens, your settings are ok and nothing to worry else check your settings.

I'm sure the setting are correct,I had a Standard before I got this advanced,I'm just wondering if I may have still had rc signal and that's why it didn't trigger rth. Although the light on he radio was red

The few trips I've made at any distance I would get weak video warnings but yet still show full signal on the rc

Video reception definitely get affected by many factors such as local interference, frame rate, transmission rate etc and the bad video is noticeable too with eyes. Logic for video warnings Rx is different than Tx.

RC signal should break for 3 sec or longer to get RTH triggered , intermittent loss will not start RTH.

Video reception definitely get affected by many factors such as local interference, frame rate, transmission rate etc and the bad video is noticeable too with eyes. Logic for video warnings Rx is different than Tx.

RC signal should break for 3 sec or longer to get RTH triggered , intermittent loss will not start RTH.

That's kind of my question.even though the app said aircraft disconnected I'm wondering if I still had rc signal and if it happens again should I push the rth button on the radio. Because it did not rth when I lost all video and app said aircraft disconnected,I waited for at least 30 seconds before I started walking towards it

Also check your wire between Transmitter and your tablet. If it's wanky and doesn't get signal to the tablet you'll get AIRCRAFT DISCONNECTED but still have full control of the aircraft.

Also check your wire between Transmitter and your tablet. If it's wanky and doesn't get signal to the tablet you'll get AIRCRAFT DISCONNECTED but still have full control of the aircraft.

I've tried a few different cables and the time it said disconnected the signal started to drop then all the sudden it was gone

Reactions: BigAl07
I flew yesterday and purposely pointed the antennas to lose signal,app said aircraft disconnected and I waited 10 seconds and then positioned myself so that I would regain signal and the aircraft was still hovering in the same place that I lost signal. So to further test I turn the remote off and the aircraft went into rth like it should. So from what I can tell even though the app shows no signal and the aircraft disconnected apparently it still has enough rc signal to not initiate rth. But the funny part is he light was red on the radio when I purposely lost signal which should mean that it had lost all signal.

I've never seen the GO app say "aircraft disconnected" even when the app is connected to the RC and AC powered off. Instead it says "weak signal"
When the app is not connected to the RC, it says "disconnected"

Now the very problem described by OP happened to me yesterday. 1/4 mile out, lose video, lose telemetry, light red on RC. I wait, and wait, and sweat though it isn't hot out, and wait some more.
4 minutes later it signals back RTH engaged on low battery.
I had it recording where I found it was hovering in place for 4 minutes, focused on river below and trees with their branches swaying in the wind.
Analyzed TXT log on healthydrones which confirmed signal loss for 4 minutes and low battery RTH after that.
Ran datcon on the AC DAT file for the flight, it didn't detect a signal loss.
Conclusion: the RC might not have been receiving anything from the AC but it seems the AC could still be controlled if I had tried. Probably could have brought up altitude and regained inbound signal or even moved forward or back as I was high enough at 130ft to avoid obstructions. If I got too far that I lose control, then it should head home.
Made it back and landed at my position just at 10% remaining battery. I had about 35% when I lost AC's signal.

I've never seen the GO app say "aircraft disconnected" even when the app is connected to the RC and AC powered off. Instead it says "weak signal"

Now the very problem described by OP happened to me yesterday. 1/4 mile out, lose video, lose telemetry, light red on RC. I wait, and wait, and sweat though it isn't hot out, and wait some more.
I had it recording where I found it was hovering in place for 4 minutes, focused on river below and trees with their branches swaying in the wind.
Analyzed TXT log on healthydrones which confirmed signal loss for 4 minutes and low battery RTH after that.
Conclusion: the RC might not have been receiving anything from the AC but it seems the AC could still be controlled if I had tried. Probably could have brought up altitude and regained inbound signal or even moved forward or back as I was high enough at 130ft to avoid obstructions. If I got too far that I lose control, then it should head home.
Made it back and landed at my position just at 10% remaining battery. I had about 35% when I lost AC's signal.

I've had it happen twice once on purpose and at the top it says aircraft disconnected.has my curiosity as to wether I could've used the rth button on the remote or not. I've also noticed that the rc signal never comes off full signal even with the aircraft tuned off as long as the device is connected to the app. I guess if I ever get in a case where I lose signal and want to make sure it rth I'll just turn the radio off lol.

106e761d1a362c45df97b28f8cb3131b.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic