Loss of orientation prevention??

Reaction score
Hi I have starting flying for the first time today and really enjoying it! However several times whilst the P3 was at a distance from me I started to get confused which way the craft was pointing. At this stage I took no further chances and engaged RTH. I was wondering have you any tips or advice on what is the best way to determine orientation of the copter from a distance, and methods you can use other than RTH?? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Give it a nudge forward or sideways and see what direction it goes

The radar in the bottom, left corner of the DJI GO app shows which direction your Phantom is pointing.

fly in home lock mode makes it real easy

The best way to orient your aircraft is to look on the Radar located on the DJI GO App. Turn it until it points to you and move forward to get it back.

Reactions: lotusteve
That video is the video I used to learn. Works great and I can get it back from as far as I can see it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The best way to orient your aircraft is to look on the Radar located on the DJI GO App. Turn it until it points to you and move forward to get it back.
What if your phone or tablet randomly reboots? Or goes into thermal shutdown? Or your ******* brother-in-law knocks it off the holder crashing it to the ground?

I think everyone should know how to get their aircraft back without GPS/FPV aids. Used to be a required skill.

You can always get it back by hitting RTH button but OP's main question was how to figure out the orientation of P3.

In my experience op if I can see it I kind a go by the light the light is a very distinct way of knowing which way my copter is pointing return to home option is great push it till you can see it. It will be pointing toward you when is coming back make sure you have your return to home settings set to atleast 100 ft so you wont hit any trees.

Used this very video in the early days with my hubsan x4 & dromida ominus it's stuck with me ever since.

However, it's a skill not needed with the P3 as it does mostly everything for you.
Things happen. Systems fail. I'm guessing there is always the RTH button but I'm pretty confident that if I can see it. I can bring it back on my own... That's a good feeling. That video is what taught me how to do it. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

There are lots of ways as mentioned above. The FPV helps a ton with that too. As you get to know your bird and on screen display info this will just become more intuitive in time. Just take it slow and keep at it!

Assuming you can see the craft and you're in open air, keep your eye on it and go forward with the right stick and note what way it is going. If it appears to be descending, then it's going away. Apply a bit of yaw (either way) and then back to forward only. Note which direction it is traveling. If it's right, then right yaw another wee bit until it appears to be rising. Then you'll know it is coming back to you. Never go higher at the same time.

It's worth going out into a big open field, flying out a few hundred metres, turning off the screen and trying this technique. My phone died one day, and I was able to recover without panicking because I had practised the above.

Assuming you can see the craft and you're in open air, keep your eye on it and go forward with the right stick and note what way it is going. If it appears to be descending, then it's going away. Apply a bit of yaw (either way) and then back to forward only. Note which direction it is traveling. If it's right, then right yaw another wee bit until it appears to be rising. Then you'll know it is coming back to you. Never go higher at the same time.

It's worth going out into a big open field, flying out a few hundred metres, turning off the screen and trying this technique. My phone died one day, and I was able to recover without panicking because I had practised the above.

That is exactly the technique described in the video above that we have been discussing...
And I agree, one everyone should practice. I showed it to a buddy of mine when he was learning to fly his P3, and he just does it for fun now when he has some battery left. Just send it way out there til it's a speck, spin it around, and get it back. Repeat. Fun!

What if your phone or tablet randomly reboots? Or goes into thermal shutdown? Or your ******* brother-in-law knocks it off the holder crashing it to the ground?

I think everyone should know how to get their aircraft back without GPS/FPV aids. Used to be a required skill.
Lol well said... And the way it was said sounds like this may have happened to you before "Or your ******* brother-in-law knocks it off the holder crashing it to the ground?" lol that sounds like it could suck!!

It may also be worth mentioning, as it relates to this thread, that the optional HDMI output module can also act as a backup to the app. The output over HDMI from the controller is completely independent of the app, and is really just the old-school lightbridge FPV video feed with its own full telemetry overlay. Part of the overlay is a floating waypoint indicator that will guide you back to the home point.

Reactions: cassalatico

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl