Loss of GPS satellites?

Reaction score
One of my reasons for using the Ground Station is to film a dangerous landslide in a narrow river canyon. A geologist has asked me to help with this -- just the sort of task that I enjoy using my Phantom for, as I really don't get much of a kick out of buzzing around parks.

My concern is how the Ground Station flight might be affected if the canyon reduces reception below 6, 5, or even fewer satellites?

The ground station only flies in GPS mode and I've found if it drops to 5 sats it goes into hover mode and I have to take control in atti mode. I haven't tried modifying the settings (yet)

EMCSQUAR said:
The ground station only flies in GPS mode and I've found if it drops to 5 sats it goes into hover mode and I have to take control in atti mode. I haven't tried modifying the settings (yet)

Will it try to return to home or just hover there until the battery dies?

I wonder how you might set up a safe test to simulate loss of satellites?

The canyon I need to photograph is difficult to access, with a glacial stream adding to the challenge. If you can't re-establish control from LOS the Phantom is going to be in serious trouble, even if it auto-lands gently (boulders, water).

EMCSQUAR said:

mcmax20 said:
EMCSQUAR said:

Documentation states it will hover at first, then RTH if it doesn't regain GPS lock (unless interrupted by a manual switch to ATTI like mcmax mentions), but it's not clear if that wait period is 10 sec or 1 min (both are mentioned).

If the hover time is as much as one minute that is important info, especially if your battery is low. I once lost control of my QuadH20 and it made an auto-landing far away from me. When I finally reached the quad, the battery was at 2%. The good news is that it landed safely on the very edge of a dense forest.

OI Photography said:
mcmax20 said:
EMCSQUAR said:

Documentation states it will hover at first, then RTH if it doesn't regain GPS lock (unless interrupted by a manual switch to ATTI like mcmax mentions), but it's not clear if that wait period is 10 sec or 1 min (both are mentioned).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie