Loss of Control / Decided it wanted to be a real bird

Reaction score
Ok so i was flying my Phantom yesterday in my Garden,

Did the usual pre-flight checks (although only 6 GPS which is a bit lower than normal.)

Took her up to 300 Feet for some pics, then noticed that the view on my phone hadnt changed for a while and looked like it had locked up.

Tried to bring her down but no response to any controller actions. So switched off the controller hoping she would fly home.

Unfortunatly although she started auto landing there seemed to be no kind of GPS lock so ended up smashing into the roof of my house, rolling down and suprising a family of house martins :)

Luckily other than a couple of broken props she seems fine but have now lost the confidence to fly again until i know what the hell happened!

My question is, i thought the camera / wifi was seperate to the actual flight controls. So how both lost connection at the same time is a mystery.

I am running the last firmwares before the (March 26th Updates)

Is there anything i should have spotted before i let it go? (There were no warning lights so assumed it was all ok)

Thanks

Phil

My suggestion is to fly your DJI in the other mode i forgot what the name is called naza i think. This will allow you to make different setups with the toggle sticks. Example;

My controller is setup for switch 1 all the way up for GPS, middle position for non-gps with altitude holding and the switch all the way down for return to home, this will allow you to return to home without switching off the remote controller and therefre being able to regain control of it while "returning to home" by just a flip of a switch.

Hope this helps

phil20vt said:
Ok so i was flying my Phantom yesterday in my Garden,

Did the usual pre-flight checks (although only 6 GPS which is a bit lower than normal.)

Took her up to 300 Feet for some pics, then noticed that the view on my phone hadnt changed for a while and looked like it had locked up.

Tried to bring her down but no response to any controller actions. So switched off the controller hoping she would fly home.

Unfortunatly although she started auto landing there seemed to be no kind of GPS lock so ended up smashing into the roof of my house, rolling down and suprising a family of house martins :)

Luckily other than a couple of broken props she seems fine but have now lost the confidence to fly again until i know what the hell happened!

My question is, i thought the camera / wifi was seperate to the actual flight controls. So how both lost connection at the same time is a mystery.

I am running the last firmwares before the (March 26th Updates)

Is there anything i should have spotted before i let it go? (There were no warning lights so assumed it was all ok)

Thanks

Phil

Take her out to open areas.. IE: a large field... No metal objects within a couple of hundred feet.. Power lines, railroad tracks... Etc. Test and retest GPS and RTH... It may have been an magnetic anomaly in your local area.. Other wifi signals etc.
Also.. Is your S1 switch set to Failsafe RTH or set to Land?
Did you recheck your settings in the assistant after the Firmware updates? It may have defaulted back to original settings.

Also... Do a IMU calibration on a flat non-metalic level surface. Calibrate compass away from everything. Good luck.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj