Loss of Communication at 720', video failure

Reaction score
I flew my PV2+ to 720' AGL, pretty much straight up, when I suddenly lost communication. Thank God for the "coming home" notification and safe return of my Phantom. I could hear it very faintly, but couldn't see it when it started home.

I have two questions:

1) 720' is just over 219 meters. Far short of the 800 meter range claim. I had no power lines around and direct line of sight. I was flying on a golf course in a remote area. I also didn't get a low battery alarm. RC is set to FCC. Firmware is up to date.
2) Once communication was lost, the video that was being shot got messed up and won't play on my computer. Info shows a 200+Mb Mp4 file, but that's it. The two clips that I shot before it were fine.

Why is this? Has anyone else experienced these issues?

1) The antenna's weakest point is the tip. If you are flying overhead with the antenna pointing up you are sending little of the signal strength towards the aircraft, hence the issue. You could try either moving it away from you before climbing or turning the antenna over to horizontal for operations overhead. Here's a fuller explanation involving bread-based products: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itloC1llS5Q

2)I suspect in your relief at it coming down ok you switched the aircraft off before you stopped the recording via the app. Put the SD card back in the aircraft. Switch it on. Leave for one minute. Power down. Check card on PC - it should have corrected the corruption. Always stop recording before powering down to avoid this - although as you've seen it is fixable, but you will lose the last several seconds of any file recovered in this way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31