Losing Wifi connection

Late to the thread -sorry.

On a stock Vision, 300 meters is considered max on FPV, right? That's about 900 feet. But you're expecting more because you upgraded the range extender; that is, you are using better antennas. Is that right?

What antennas are you using?

Are you using the minimum FPV quality? That would be 320 and 15 fps.

Have you ever made the mistake of turning the extender on without the antennas connected? That could burn out your extender.

You might consider buying an RE700 on eBay. I got one for $50 used but like new and my FPV range doubled instantly unmodded. Be sure your comfortable with binding the RE700, I think it's easier if you have the original box the Vision came in (it has a graphic code on it).

If you're flying from your back yard, try turning off your home's WiFi before flying.

Last edited:

On a stock Vision, 300 meters is considered max on FPV, right? That's about 900 feet. But you're expecting more because you upgraded the range extender; that is, you are using better antennas. Is that right?

Have you ever made the mistake of turning the extender on without the antennas connected? That could burn out your extender.

You might consider buying an RE700 on eBay. I got one for $50 used but like new and my FPV range doubled instantly unmodded. Be sure your comfortable with binding the RE700, I think it's easier if you have the original box the Vision came in (it has a graphic code on it).

If you're flying from your back yard, try turning off your home's WiFi before flying.
I agree. With my stock Vision I got about 900 feet FPV range. The best I have doen with the RE700 is 1500 feet. I bought the RE700 for $55 on eBay, and sold the original RE500 on eBay for $50, so the net cost for the added range was $5.

I have been losing FPV quickly almost from the start I did the DBS mod in hopes of extending my flying range AND my FPV range. I haven't changed my 'quality' settings, should I? To my knowledge I have not turned on either the extender or the RC unit with my antennas connected, I read about that before I did my mod. I plan on going to a secluded area this weekend where there should be no WiFi, buildings, trees, or anything that could interfere with my signal and trying it out there. I already have a Galaxy Tab (older model) charged and ready to try if my iPhone 6 keeps dropping the network. As I said earlier my last couple of flights I was airborne about 10 min each time when i lost FPV. I'm hoping it's a setting on my phone that is timing out or something.
Thanks for the ideas

I agree. With my stock Vision I got about 900 feet FPV range. The best I have doen with the RE700 is 1500 feet. I bought the RE700 for $55 on eBay, and sold the original RE500 on eBay for $50, so the net cost for the added range was $5.
So if I get the RE700 and take the DBS mod off, I'll end up with better FPV?

The lower the quality setting the farther you will have FPV . I keep mine on 320x240 30fps .
That only affects keeping distance .
if I get the RE700 and take the DBS mod off, I'll end up with better FPV?
You say DBS mod...you mean you have the itelite panel ? Then I would think not
You would get more distance with the 700 if you put that panel on it though than the 500 .

The lower the quality setting the farther you will have FPV . I keep mine on 320x240 30fps .
That only affects keeping distance .

You say DBS mod...you mean you have the itelite panel ? Then I would think not
You would get more distance with the 700 if you put that panel on it though than the 500 .

OK, I'll check those setting tonight when I get home, thanks. Yes, the itelite panel is what I was referring to. Once I can fly thru a full battery charge and not loose video, I may consider more upgrades, right now I need to get this issue resolved if I'm going to keep this unit.

If you are just losing FPV after 10 minute's even when close than it sounds like something's getting hot .
That thought crossed my mind too but feeling all the surface's of the TX, the extender, even the quad, I couldn't feel anything warm. I guess that doesn't mean it couldn't be hot deep inside someplace. If this week-ends flight(s) don't go well I may end up getting inside the camera since you advised that's where the antenna and tx was. Maybe I'll see something discolored or something.

I have been losing FPV quickly almost from the start I did the DBS mod in hopes of extending my flying range AND my FPV range. I haven't changed my 'quality' settings, should I? To my knowledge I have not turned on either the extender or the RC unit with my antennas connected, I read about that before I did my mod. I plan on going to a secluded area this weekend where there should be no WiFi, buildings, trees, or anything that could interfere with my signal and trying it out there. I already have a Galaxy Tab (older model) charged and ready to try if my iPhone 6 keeps dropping the network. As I said earlier my last couple of flights I was airborne about 10 min each time when i lost FPV. I'm hoping it's a setting on my phone that is timing out or something.
Thanks for the ideas
Loosing quickly? When I first got my RE700, I had about 100 foot range. Abysmal. Why? My phone wasn't in airplane mode. Put it in airplane mode and turn WIFI back on.

Thanks for the idea but I've tried that too, it may have helped a bit but it still hasn't gotten me past the 10 min mark.

Got it. If it was interference it would happen soon into any flight.

Did fixing the frayed wire do anyhing for you? I wonder if the connector got damaged, or if the end at the motherboard inside the bird is damaged.

Got it. If it was interference it would happen soon into any flight.

Did fixing the frayed wire do anyhing for you? I wonder if the connector got damaged, or if the end at the motherboard inside the bird is damaged.
replacing that cable may have given me a clearer picture but it didn't do much for increasing FPV time. The wire was still secured inside the quad (some sticky stuff holding it down) and I didn't see any damage inside. Then again,I may have been looking at a totally messed up connection and wouldn't have known it, I'm not much with electrical circuits.

Went out to the field this morning, flew 10 min and lost wifi...but in about 5 sec it came back and I flew out the rest of the battery. I wasn't recording anything never even turned the camera on. Could that have anything to do with the issue? I charged the battery and flew again this aft, lost wifi in 10 min but then it would come in and go out...i was taking still shots and video. Next test will be flying here without filming anything again. I guess if I get the same results here as I did in the field I'll know the issue is in some way with the camera.

I think I found the problem, or at least the area where the problem lies. @dirkclod you suggested something getting hot and also mentioned the transmitter was in the camera. After getting more error messages I finally opened the camera. I have attached pics of what one of the wires looked like. It had been caught between the case and the rear of what looks like the lens housing. It has a pretty good crimp in it. I probably should have looked further but I didn't, I just moved it so it wasn't crimped anymore and put the camera back together. I took it out to test it and it wasn't any better, in fact it was almost worse. So, can the actual wires inside that wire casing be damaged beyond repair? Since it's not crimped anymore but still not working do I need to look further or just replace that wire? If I need to replace the wire, does anyone have a trustworthy dealer where I can order one? Seems like the more I find out the more questions I end up with.....TIA

Attachments

• Wire 1.jpg
    Wire 1.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 312
  • wire 3.jpg
    wire 3.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 287
If that's one of these FC200 antennas.jpg that go to one of the antenna patch's it does look messed up . That's just one side and would seem it not working would only restrict your distance . As far as where to get the cable I don't know . I don't know if you can even buy one new . I just sent about 4 of those to a member and he might have not used them or have one left . I can see . That panel comes out easy enough but the connecter on the board is a little tricky . There is a YT video showing a easy way to do it and can find it for you if you wish .
I

If that's one of these View attachment 33823 that go to one of the antenna patch's it does look messed up . That's just one side and would seem it not working would only restrict your distance . As far as where to get the cable I don't know . I don't know if you can even buy one new . I just sent about 4 of those to a member and he might have not used them or have one left . I can see . That panel comes out easy enough but the connecter on the board is a little tricky . There is a YT video showing a easy way to do it and can find it for you if you wish .
I
Yes it's one of the wires that attach to that antenna circuit board (I think that's what it called) When I did the DBS antenna mod I had to take out the two antenna's that were in the wifi extender. They look exactly like those, think I could put those boards in the camera? unless of there is soldering involved then that's a "no go" for me. I did see a how to on YT about doing some antenna mod on the camera antenna's. If I thought doing that would fix the problem I'd do one of those antenna mods to go along with my DBS mod.
Here's two screen shots of the error I'm getting. I loose wifi to camera but according to the app I still have a wifi connection.

Attachments

• error screen.jpg
    error screen.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 332
  • wifi screenshot.jpg
    wifi screenshot.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 200
It's a long shot, but you could contact DJI with the pics showing the damage. Obvious manufacturing defect.

I crimped one of those cables taking mine apart one time as if it's not placed just right the case will crimp it . I cut that part out
of the case doing the antenna mod you speak of . As far as contacting DJI with a opened up camera ...good luck .

It's a long shot, but you could contact DJI with the pics showing the damage. Obvious manufacturing defect.
Ken ..didn't mean to jump over you but in the OP you see the camera had took a hit so I don't think this a manufacturing defect..

I emailed DJI tech support last week and still haven't heard anything so I doubt I would get much of a response from them on this wire. Even if they did respond I doubt I could prove it was Mfg defect since we did have a hard landing and the camera was affected. From what we know, or hope we know, would doing an aftermarket antenna mod fix the problem? If that crimped cable couldn't cause intermittent wifi failure, what else could? Is there a fix short of buying a new camera?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.