Losing Wifi connection

Reaction score
I realize there are numerous threads pertaining to folks "losing wifi connections" but I have a possible cause and I would like to know if my theory is correct. I can see my 2 antenna wires and my compass attached to the landing gear legs. I also see a short piece of wire on the 4th landing gear leg, it looks like the end is partially stripped. I did have a 'hard landing' in a pine tree which knocked the camera lose so could I have broken the rest of this wire off? Is that short piece of wire supposed to be longer? I have attached a couple of pics, I hope you all can see the wire I have pointed out. TIA

Attachments

• missing wire.jpg
    missing wire.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 424
  • sm wire.jpg
    sm wire.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 345
Not sure what that wire went to but a stock Vision only has 2 antenna wires and the compass cable coming down the legs .
Are you sure it's a wire ?

I'll get a pair of tweezers and pull on it to see if it's really connected or not but it sure looks like a small wire end. Problem is, if it's not a broken wire then why is my WiFi connection so crappy? Last night's flight was a "good" one, I got out about a 900 feet then lost connection and I couldn't get it to reconnect the rest of the night. I'm using my iPhone 6, last night I also tried my wife's old Galaxy Tab, same results with both. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OK .....I have had 3 P2V"s and there's not but 2 antenna cables and one compass cable .WiFi antenna 's are in the sides of the camera.
Your extender is where you get signal to phone . Make sure extender is fully charged and if it is then delete app and reinstall it to start .
Also be sure switch on back of camera is all the way to the right .

Wow, thank you for the quick reply. I've been having this problem for a while so I bought, and installed, the DBS antenna mod hoping that would help in some way. Unfortunately it didn't, it did help my distance limitations though. I did flip that switch to the left then back to the right to make sure it was seated properly, didn't help. The extender was fully charged as I unplugged it prior to taking it outside. I haven't removed and reinstalled the app since it didn't work off either my iOS or my Android device but I may try that tonight. I have a spare set of cables on order and when they come in I'll probably take the quad apart and look for broken wires, unless someone comes up with a fix before then.....

Wow, thank you for the quick reply. I've been having this problem for a while so I bought, and installed, the DBS antenna mod hoping that would help in some way. Unfortunately it didn't, it did help my distance limitations though. I did flip that switch to the left then back to the right to make sure it was seated properly, didn't help. The extender was fully charged as I unplugged it prior to taking it outside. I haven't removed and reinstalled the app since it didn't work off either my iOS or my Android device but I may try that tonight. I have a spare set of cables on order and when they come in I'll probably take the quad apart and look for broken wires, unless someone comes up with a fix before then.....
OK I didn't know you had already modded the extender so maybe one of those 2 cables have came loose or you have a crimp in a cable or one is just bad .That could cause an issue . The way you have the settings in your phone could be the problem .
Am curious what's sticking out that skid hole .
Has this quad ever been into or did you get it new ?

OK I didn't know you had already modded the extender so maybe one of those 2 cables have came loose or you have a crimp in a cable or one is just bad .That could cause an issue . The way you have the settings in your phone could be the problem .
Also check the connecter between the camera and the quad being as it did crash .

I bought it from Amazon, it was supposed to be new but it had some scuffs on the body. It seemed to do OK for the first few flights, there were a couple of 'hard' landings in pine trees but the only thing that got broken was a couple of prop tips. If it wasn't something that was not happening before the mod I'd say I probably did mess something up but it was doing it before the mod too. If getting a iPhone 6S would solve the problem, I'd do it, I'm eligible for an upgrade but I'd hate to upgrade and have the same problem. I'd love to uncheck a box in the settings and suddenly everything works great.
I'll get the tweezers tonight and see if I can prove or dis-prove that stub is a wire.

OK, I'll check that connector. I just read on another thread someone suggested switching on Airplane mode. I'm not getting any calls but I may try that as well.

I'll get a pair of tweezers and pull on it to see if it's really connected or not but it sure looks like a small wire end. Problem is, if it's not a broken wire then why is my WiFi connection so crappy? Last night's flight was a "good" one, I got out about a 900 feet then lost connection and I couldn't get it to reconnect the rest of the night. I'm using my iPhone 6, last night I also tried my wife's old Galaxy Tab, same results with both. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I can only fly in airplane mode. Phone, Bluetooth and NFC turned off, WIFI on. Leaving any of the other three on causes horrifically short range. With them off, and the RE700 extender, I can get about 1400 ft of FPV at 320x240x15fps

Hopefully I'll get home in time to try this tonight, thanks for the feedback.

Doing a Google on bad WiFi connections with the iPhone 6 I came across this, anyone heard this before as a fix?
Solution No. 1: Turn off Wi-Fi networking
The first solution to fix the WiFi Issue 0n the IPhone 6 is to :
  1. Go to settings
  2. Click on Privacy
  3. Click on Location Services
  4. Choose System Services
  5. Turn off Wi-Fi networking.

@dirkclod, good news, bad news. Whatever it was that I saw and took a pic of, wasn't an attached wire. When I looked tonight it was gone, next question would be...where did it come from? I guess I'm going to have to take the quad apart someday soon to find out. I flew again tonight and again I lost wifi after about 7-8 min being airborne. That wouldn't be so bad but once it goes away, it's gone for the night, nothing I do will bring make it connect again.
Just thought I'd let you know that "wire-gate" is solved.
BTW, Airplane mode didn't help.....oh well.

I updated app today and not real sure about it. I seemed to crash the app after getting out a few thousand feet but could get it back as it got closer .
Think I have about wore out my RE700 if that's possible .
I didn't think that was a wire but we'll never know now huh :)
I still can't get a grip why yours is acting that way .
Camera to extender to phone . I would hope it was in some setting in your phone .

I updated app today and not real sure about it. I seemed to crash the app after getting out a few thousand feet but could get it back as it got closer .
Think I have about wore out my RE700 if that's possible .
I didn't think that was a wire but we'll never know now huh :)
I still can't get a grip why yours is acting that way .
Camera to extender to phone . I would hope it was in some setting in your phone .
I took apart the WiFi extender just to check for crimped wires, loose connections, or whatever. I even unplugged and re-plugged the antenna connections. Found nothing obvious so I put it all back together. Now I can set it on my desk (w/o props) and keep my WiFi signal almost indefinitely, before 10 min was max. When I take the quad outside, I still lose my wifi but now it will come in and go out and back in again. I'm guessing this is a loose wire in the quad itself since sitting still there is no problems. Guess I'll be tearing that apart next.

I took apart the WiFi extender just to check for crimped wires, loose connections, or whatever. I even unplugged and re-plugged the antenna connections. Found nothing obvious so I put it all back together. Now I can set it on my desk (w/o props) and keep my WiFi signal almost indefinitely, before 10 min was max. When I take the quad outside, I still lose my wifi but now it will come in and go out and back in again. I'm guessing this is a loose wire in the quad itself since sitting still there is no problems. Guess I'll be tearing that apart next.
That's not good .No 2.4 in quad ,all in camera .Antennas are in the sides. FC200 antennas.jpg The connecters from those antenna panels are not easy to get to on the board . That's the last thing I would mess with .And I have been in several .
You will have to open the egg and take off the lens bezel and look in to see the connecter ends and there are 2 .The way they are supported
I would found it hard to believe they have came loose .Anything is possible after a crash I just don't see that happening .

That's not good .No 2.4 in quad ,all in camera .Antennas are in the sides. View attachment 33332 The connecters from those antenna panels are not easy to get to on the board . That's the last thing I would mess with .And I have been in several .
You will have to open the egg and take off the lens bezel and look in to see the connecter ends and there are 2 .The way they are supported
I would found it hard to believe they have came loose .Anything is possible after a crash I just don't see that happening .
OK, thanks for the info. I'll check all wires going to the camera first, if I don't find anything I guess I'll have to open it up, I'm not having any fun flying it the way it is. I either fix it or sell it. I will let you know what happens, I appreciate your time and advice.

Reactions: dirkclod
The saga continues....I found a scraped wire going from the camera to the quad, not broken but scraped. I doubt that it could be the cause of my issues but I replaced it anyway. It was too late when I finished to try it out but we'll see what happens. I have not opened the camera yet but if the problem continues, I guess that's next..

Attachments

• damaged wire.jpg
    damaged wire.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 389
  • wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 274
I took it out last night and it did great....for about 10 min then lost wifi on the camera view. I went back to the main app screen and it said I was still connected to my network but I couldn't get the camera view back for more that a few seconds. I emailed DJI tech support this morning, I don't hold out much hope of them having a fix but I had to try. This weekend I'll go out to the local soccer field and see if the location is an issue. I may try my wife's Android phone just in case I have a setting screwed up on my phone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub