Losing signal 1500ft at 200ft. Alt.

Reaction score
I've had my Phantom 3 std. for about 2 weeks. Have taken it off beginner mode. Now flying at 200ft. I keep
losing signal at around 1500ft. Is this normal? I thought I could fly .65M or at least 2500ft.???

Try taking it up to 250 to 300 feet. That might help. Also. When they quote the max distance for these, that's under absolute perfect conditions.

I live in an extremely WiFi busy neighborhood. I'm not kidding you, If I sit here and do a wifi scan with my wifey's laptop.... I can see 100 WiFi SSiDs from just inside my computer room. Now imagine a drone flying up and down the street. It has to fight with all of that.... plus whatever else it's picking up at the other end of the street. OK. Now to my point. My very best is only 2200 feet until complete loss of signal.... that's with a ITELITE panel antenna.

Reactions: Flying Ant
Before I did my ArgTek Mod today I was only getting 1200-1400 from my front yard and I live in the Country....got to 2600 today but came home, probably could go further....I usually get more range going 300-400 ft high

Before I did my ArgTek Mod today I was only getting 1200-1400 from my front yard and I live in the Country....got to 2600 today but came home, probably could go further....I usually get more range going 300-400 ft high
OK thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Here are a few of my flights with the DBS mod.
a0b5f248a176c2a3badfe7b0fb28dfd2.jpg
6a16467e0a880b3b9787e094e7c00c82.jpg
74d6e61f9ce2ff302028639db51bbf80.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Try taking it up to 250 to 300 feet. That might help. Also. When they quote the max distance for these, that's under absolute perfect conditions.

I live in an extremely WiFi busy neighborhood. I'm not kidding you, If I sit here and do a wifi scan with my wifey's laptop.... I can see 100 WiFi SSiDs from just inside my computer room. Now imagine a drone flying up and down the street. It has to fight with all of that.... plus whatever else it's picking up at the other end of the street. OK. Now to my point. My very best is only 2200 feet until complete loss of signal.... that's with a ITELITE panel antenna.

This makes sense and possibly my problem today.

I was flying in my Town House complex which has wifi everywhere. I lost RC (in and out) and video. Scary, but I landed it manually.

First time this happened though.

It was also very foggy and I was around 300-+

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Get an app for your phone called WiFi analyzer. Run it for like 2 minutes in the location you are about to fly. You'll be amazed at all the dang WiFi routers there are just in a small area. I can't believe they still limit us to only 11 channels on 2.4ghz. Yeah.... I know about 5ghz WiFi (I have a dual band router) which has more channels.... but the range isn't all that great for 5ghz AND it's getting popular, so even that is starting to get crowded. A few years ago. I used to be able to run my 5ghz WiFi at home on any dang channel I wanted. NONE of my neighbors had it. But.... now I have to keep checking because more and more and more keep getting it.

Get an app for your phone called WiFi analyzer. Run it for like 2 minutes in the location you are about to fly. You'll be amazed at all the dang WiFi routers there are just in a small area. I can't believe they still limit us to only 11 channels on 2.4ghz. Yeah.... I know about 5ghz WiFi (I have a dual band router) which has more channels.... but the range isn't all that great for 5ghz AND it's getting popular, so even that is starting to get crowded. A few years ago. I used to be able to run my 5ghz WiFi at home on any dang channel I wanted. NONE of my neighbors had it. But.... now I have to keep checking because more and more and more keep getting it.
There are only 11 channels because that's how much room there is in the 2.4Ghz band. And actually there are only 3 distinct bands, 1, 6, and 11. The in-between bands overlap the other bands. There is a 4th distinct band, 14. In the US, it's a reserved band and civilians are not allowed to use it. And since the bands overlap, that pretty much rules out bands 12 and 13.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan