Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Losing GPS lock in air

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Help' started by cowboyjunkey, Apr 10, 2015.

1. cowboyjunkey

I've been having problems with losing GPS lock. I've had it showing 8 satellites and then only 10 seconds or so after taking off it can drop to 5. It seems to happen more at lower altitutes (<100') but I have had it happen later on in a flight. Once I saw it rapidly going from 8 to 7 then down to 5 then 6 then 3 all in about 30 seconds. I'm afraid to go in any wind because its so much harder to control when it loses lock. Any suggestions?

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

Are you recording video during the times when the satellite count drops?

3. cowboyjunkey

No I'm not. Sometmes the FPV freezes when I take off and doesn't work again until I'm over 100'. When at 300' I'm taking pictures but I've never noticed it being better or worse when I do that. Its never been at the same time as GPS lock loss fortunately. (I use Samsung S4).

I take pictures in the air (300') but have never noticed a problem from that.

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

I'm assuming that would rule out the usual interference from the camera. Perhaps the GPS unit itself is bad.

5. cowboyjunkey

Yeah I'm wondering that.

Just thought - I got a the new anti static compass this year. Like others on this board its very hard to calibrate in the vertical position. Not sure if they are related but a possible cause?

6. IflyinWY

Have you opened it up and checked your connections?

7. CityZen

Have you ever had a crash or otherwise dropped the Phantom on its top? It's possible that the ceramic antenna could be cracked. You need to uncover and unscrew the GPS module from the lid in order to check this. If it's not cracked, I'd consider doing the foil shielding mod. If it is cracked, do the antenna upgrade mod (with the thicker antenna).

8. jumanoc

There is a known issu with poor quality in GPS connector that plugs into the board. In some forums many claimed better connector from DJI. It is so loosened that flight vibrations moves it out from the socket. Open shell and after tight fit put some hot glue or silicone for keeping in.

MultiEraser likes this.
  9. cowboyjunkey

Thanks for all the replies. I'll open it up and check the connections. May order a new GPS unit to have in stock anyways. I did have a crash a while back (bent the camera & gimbel) so it may have been damaged.

10. kirk2579

before you order a new gps unit (170.00). try up grading the ceramic antenna on current

cost 5 dollars and takes a hour or so.

digikey.co part # 931-1126-ND

11. cowboyjunkey

Thanks I'll look at just getting that instead of the whole unit.

12. cowboyjunkey

As an update I haven't had a chance to open it up but today I wanted to look at a field and the wind was calm so I thought I'd give it a try. I was in the same place where I had lost GPS before. Today I locked at 8 before going up. I let it hover for a few minutes and it was up to 10 and through the flight it never dropped below 8 and was at 11 sometimes. I'll think I'll order a new GPS antenna in and then someday when I have time I'll pull it apart and check it out. I'll just keep a real good eye on GPS lock. I wish there was an alarm to tell you when lock is lost just like when the battery is low.

13. fastsmiles

you can check out the video on replacing the GPS antenna

cowboyjunkey likes this.