Lose video signal at only 300 feet downrange.

Reaction score
So, got my P3A yesterday, and have flown in three locations so far, testing things out. Flies great, video quality is great. Problem is, I lose the video signal by 150 to 300 feet. RC signal is still strong, but the screen says signal lost and the screen goes black, all telemetry goes to NA. I have been flying RC for a long time, and have trouble shot this to death, and at this point figure it has to be a faulty phantom. I am flying in a very rural area, in the high desert in western Colorado. There is no interference, and the signal noise for the various HD channels is extremely low. I've flown on auto, and chosen various channels on manual. Makes no difference. I've flown with the iPad and the Android phone, makes no difference. Get more than 300 feet down range, video signal is totally lost. I have of course ensured that the antennae are aimed properly, perpendicular to the p3. Moved them this way and that, makes no difference.
I'm going to return to B & H photo, but thought I'd just see if anyone here had any ideas. I'm bummed. Thanks in advance.

Make sure to both antennas on the R/C are vertical, and pointing at the aircraft. If you select the HD icon at the top of the app, make sure it is in auto. What altitude are you flying at when this happens?

As I stated, I've tried auto and have selected various channels. You're not supposed to aim the antennae at the craft, the signal is strongest perpendicular to the plane of the antennae. Regardless, I've tried every position to re-acquire the video signal, to no avail. Thanks for your post.

Ok I can see you have way more experience then I do. Best of luck to ya, I hope everything works out for you.

Btw, for anyone reading this...it's the flat sides of the antenna on the R/C that should face the aircraft.

You are suppose to be facing the aircraft and the antenna on the r/c are suppose to be parallel to the legs on the Phantom. I've seen people have the same issue as you and it was due to incorrect antenna placement. Not saying it can't be something else but more than not, it's the antennas.

Best of luck though.

Thanks for the replies. It's not the placement of the antennae, as much as I wish it were that simple. flyNfrank you seem to have taken offense at my post given the snide comment, not sure why. Perhaps I misinterpreted your instruction that the antennae should be "pointing at the aircraft". People that are new to RC might think that means to point the antenna at the craft, rather than have it actually be perpendicular, eg flat side toward the craft.

You bought it from a supposedly great retailer, which I believe is true. I would absolutely return /exchange. It should be painless. Don't fly that bird again or you could crash and get involved in a whole other set of circumstances for support. Simply return because the product is defective and start fresh with a new one. My two cents. Good luck.

Have you
1. Tried to Start the TX first , then the Phantom and only then after you get slow blinking green lights in the rear, starting the App;
2. Try the "More Channels Hack" available in this forum. Simply search for this to extend the number of channels accessible for a quieter signal channel

Yeah that doesn't sound right at all. I flew the other day in a fairly WiFi congested area with quite a few antennas outside nearby and got a good 3600' before the controller went black and the P3 started it's way back home. It was back in range within 5 seconds, yet felt like 5 minutes after the screen went black.

I'll try that, I usually don't wait to start the app. Re the more channels hack, the channels that are available are very quiet. Almost no noise, with an occasional blip on a channel, then back to quiet. There are usually no bars for stable or unstable.

Thanks, you guys have been a big help and very responsive. Sounds like this is not a known issue related to latest firmware or something. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something stupid like not flipping a switch to turn on the video tx on the bird or something. : )

I've heard of glitchy fpv with the latest ios firmware but never consistent blackout at 300 or so feet. That really sounds like hardware problems. B&H should hook you up right quick.

Also try a new SD card

I have tried 2 different cables for the iPad, and same problem with the android phone. Hadn't thought about trying a new SD card, not sure why that would cause signal loss, but I could see that causing video stutter. What the heck, may as well try it. Is it OK that the new card wouldn't have the FW file on it like the current card?

A bad sd card can cause all kinds of random weird problems. I had the same thing happen to me . New sd card fixed it. At 300 ft away if shouldn't matter how the antennas are pointed . Hell you should be able to sit inside your house and still get fpv video from that distance . Good luck !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers