Lose signal above 400 feet in height and 650 feet in radius

Reaction score
I got my first UAV P3 Advanced last week and got very excited to do the firmware update. I thought new is always better. The 1.3.20 firmware updates went smoothly, but I ended up with a drone that can only fly 400 feet in height and 650 feet in radius. The RC will show no signal and prompt RTH once I the drone travels further away. Luckily, I can regain control of P3 every time after the loss-of-signal.

In the manual, it says there is no limitation of the radius P3 can fly. I did not set a max limit as well. I live in suburb, so there are not many tall buildings to block my signal. I am very frustrated that to find my drone can only fly such a short distance. Could anyone share some ideas? I heard that 2000 feet should be no problem for P3.

As for the vertical fly, it appears in the new firmware, there is a limit of 1640 feet in height. But when I adjust the limit above 400 feets, I was prompted with a message saying that some local rule and policy do not allow drone flying higher than 400 feets, and I should be responsible for the consequences if I do not obey. Is it real? Even I try to toggle limit to 500 feets, the drone will lose signal at around 450 feet in height.

Why does it keep drop signal. Is there something wrong with my drone or controller?

Never tried. So I have no number to compare.
You implied this range was because of the firmware update...

Any number of factors can reduce range. Since you're new, I'd guess your antenna aren't oriented properly. They should be parallel to one another and perpendicular to the ground. Trees, buildings, etc will also limit your range since the controller needs clear line of sight to the bird. Radio noise will also play a role if you're flying in a populated area.

In short, point your antenna properly, and pick a new spot to fly. Guessing that'll resolve your issue.

Regarding the height, the bird will not fly above 1640ft (500m), and the FAA suggests you don't fly over 400ft.

You implied this range was because of the firmware update...

Any number of factors can reduce range. Since you're new, I'd guess your antenna aren't oriented properly. They should be parallel to one another and perpendicular to the ground. Trees, buildings, etc will also limit your range since the controller needs clear line of sight to the bird. Radio noise will also play a role if you're flying in a populated area.

In short, point your antenna properly, and pick a new spot to fly. Guessing that'll resolve your issue.

Thank you, bbfpv. I was aware of the antenna positions. Maybe trying at a better location will reveal more.
How about the 400 feet regulation? Is there such a thing in the new firmware. In the manual, the 400 feet only applied to low GPS signal.
Another question, in your experience, what's the max height and radius P3 can fly, right now, with 1.3.20 firmware? Thanks!

Thank you, bbfpv. I was aware of the antenna positions. Maybe trying at a better location will reveal more.
How about the 400 feet regulation? Is there such a thing in the new firmware. In the manual, the 400 feet only applied to low GPS signal.
Another question, in your experience, what's the max height and radius P3 can fly, right now, with 1.3.20 firmware? Thanks!
Regarding the height, the bird will not fly above 1640ft(500m), and the FAA suggests you don't fly over 400ft.
Regarding distance, with clear LOS, over a mile is pretty average.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4