Loosing FPV after installing Zenmuse

Reaction score
I've recently installed a Zenmuse on my Phantom and the gimbal itself works quite well. I am using the video out of the gimbal itself to feed the VTX (immersion 600MW).

I had to change the place where my VTX was before and now I had to place it as it is showed on the picture.

Today doing some test I realize that everytime that the Phantom is now facing me (so gimbal is in between) I am loosing completly video signal.

I have even changed the VTX antenna for a longer one (skew plannar) that is usually for the VRX but it did not improve situation.

How are you guys with gimbals installing your VTX. Any tips will be much appreciated

Attachments

• vtx.jpg
    vtx.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 436
5.8GHz signals are very susceptible to anything blocking the line of sight between the Tx and Rx, so it's common for the gimbal to create a dead spot where you won't get video if the aircraft is facing you and not high enough for the Tx antenna to have a direct shot to the Rx.

Thanks OI for your feedback.

I am aware of the sensitivity of 5.8 Ghz of loosing LOS.

Is there any "optimal" way of installing the antenna to minimize the interference.

M

I have found (using very similar setup) when flying directly towards me it tends to help to fly at a slightly higher altitude so that the video tx (spironet antenna) is more visible and not obstructed by the Zenmuse while being in Direct LOS. I also placed a right angle SMA connector on tx to get the antenna to drop vertically at its optimum angle so that it is almost at same level as the stock landing gear and falls just a bit lower than the Zenmuse.

Sent from my S4

I've finally found the best solution that worked for me.

Now my VTX is on one of my back legs (the one that is not hosting the compass) horizontally secured with two zip ties and the spironet antenna is sticking out horizontally as well .

I know it is not very neat but it works perfectly. I can confirm after a number of flights that I actually have now a better video reception than before I've installed my Zenmuse.

I am really happy with the solution, finally now I have a good video stabilization and a very robust video signal at any angle.

If anybody is interested I can post a picture.

M

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers